jump to last post 1-2 of 2 discussions (5 posts)

Curious about hub size

1. Rudimental profile image61
    Rudimentalposted 8 years ago

Hi everyone. I'm new here. First day. I understand that a good hub should not be less than 1500 original words. Is there a maximum size that a hub should not exceed? Or is there no real limit to the size of the hub? Can it be almost booklike? Short story? Or what? Thanks in advance.

1. Maddie Ruud profile image83
      Maddie Ruudposted 8 years ago in reply to this

In my experience, hubs longer than, say 1000 words don't do as well as the shorter ones, unless they are REALLY well arranged.  I know that when I'm surfing I don't necessarily want to read a book on the subject, just want a clear and concise explanation, and maybe some links pointing me to further reading if I'm interested.

I don't think that the HubPages format is entirely conducive to fiction writing, either, though I haven't tried it here.

En somme, in my personal experience, the 500-1000 word range works the best, expressing as much content as possible in as few words as possible, and arranging it in such a way as not to overwhelm the reader.

Just my 2 cents.  Interested to hear what others have to say.

1. relache profile image87
        relacheposted 8 years ago in reply to this

I think the above is stated very well.  I find that Hubs which offer constructive advice and info tend to do better than ones which offer nothing but personal anecdotes and experiences.  To me, the latter are like salt when cooking:  just the right amount of seasoning makes a dish taste better, but too much and it's off-putting.

2. Marisa Wright profile image93
    Marisa Wrightposted 8 years ago

Rudimental, I think you've got it back to front - the advice I've got is that Hubs shouldn't exceed 1500 words.  Maddie is a very successfull Hubber, I'd follow her advice!

1. darkside profile image84
      darksideposted 8 years ago in reply to this

The flagship hubs (which may be where Rudimental saw the information) must have at least 1,500 words.

1,500 minimum is right for the BIG topics. But 500-1000 word count works well for easy to read and digest magazine style articles.