jump to last post 1-12 of 12 discussions (15 posts)

Anyone Heard Rumors of a HubPages Google Slap?

1. Writer Guy profile image61
    Writer Guyposted 7 years ago

I've heard it from a few people that HubPages isn't getting the same google love that it used to. What is your take on this? Have you noticed a reduction in traffic/earnings over the past few months? I just wanted to see if it was fact or fiction.

2. 0
    Ghost32posted 7 years ago

Barring hard evidence, I'd put in the category of flying saucer stories in the National Enquirer.

1. Ronaldos profile image80
      Ronaldosposted 7 years ago in reply to this

LOL good one !

3. Marisa Wright profile image93
    Marisa Wrightposted 7 years ago

Squidoo was "Google slapped" a while ago and ever since, there have been rumours that the same thing would happen to HubPages, on the principle that they are similar sites.

However, before the slap, I understand that Squidoo didn't have the safeguards that HubPages have - so they had a lot of spammy, self-promotional lenses, for instance.   So most people don't see any justification for a slap for HP.

4. habee profile image92
    habeeposted 7 years ago

So, Ghost, don't believe in them flyin' saucers? One landed right next to my trailer the other night when I was watchin' NASCAR. I almos' swallowed my chawin' tobaccy.

5. Benjimester profile image88
    Benjimesterposted 7 years ago

Haven't noticed any change.  The hub still rules google.

6. Shadesbreath profile image90
    Shadesbreathposted 7 years ago

Noticed a change the last few days.  My hubs that typically get 50 to 70 hits a day (and have been for a year) have gotten 6 to 20 last two days.  Maybe an aberration.  Guess we'll see.

7. johnr54 profile image71
    johnr54posted 7 years ago

If you look at the compete.com numbers, Hubpages traffic is steady (and still better than Squidoo).  My own Google Analytics shows the overall traffic to be steady as well.

Having said that, there are individual cases of problems.  For example, one of my best producing hubs was #2 on google for a term that gave me several Amazon sales a month, and as of yesterday it wasn't in the top 50.  I guess I'd like to know what went on there. but if that was one of only a few hubs I'd be certain there was a Google slap.

1. lrohner profile image84
      lrohnerposted 7 years ago in reply to this

John, I had the exact same thing happen with one of my hubs. Was #1 for a month or so and then disappeared. I tweaked it and it came back as #1 -- for a whole day and a half. It's buried somewhere in the Google abyss right now, and I'm only getting a few dismal visitors a day from Yahoo on it.

2. 0
      ryankettposted 7 years ago in reply to this

Have you tried unpublishing it, spending 10 minutes altering it a little, and then republishing? To see if Google bots see anything that they like when re-indexing?

8. frogdropping profile image85
    frogdroppingposted 7 years ago

lrohner it's horrible when that happens. I think all of us get a clout in and among. I honestly don't know how or why you can write something creditable, it's indexed and eventually ranked and suddenly it disappears.

That's nasties neutral

9. 0
    \Brenda Scullyposted 7 years ago

i am getting lots a love on here but not from google

10. livelonger profile image91
    livelongerposted 7 years ago

The Quantcast numbers still show steady growth, certainly no drop.

11. 0
    shinujohn2008posted 7 years ago

Google has started loving Hubpages more and more and search engine traffic to Hubpages from Google , Bing, Yahoo have increased very much.

Hubpages recently entered into the 150 most visited US sites list.

And today Hubpages is at 118 th Rank which is so good and will soon reach the best 100 sites list also.  http://www.quantcast.com/hubpages.com

So The rumors always stays there and Hubpages is the Best Website ever made.

12. frogdropping profile image85
    frogdroppingposted 7 years ago

Ahhhh nice one shinu - that sorts that out then, cheers smile