What will you do with $1 Billion?

Jump to Last Post 1-40 of 40 discussions (100 posts)
  1. shamelabboush profile image51
    shamelabboushposted 14 years ago

Since we are in the fantasy mood today, mysteriously you stumbled upon one billion dollars, what will you do, what will you buy or accomplish….etc?

1. Don W profile image83
      Don Wposted 14 years agoin reply to this

I'd find as many shallow, flakey, money-grabbing, attention-seeking, materialistic, superficial people as I could. I'd let them touch the money, let the smell the money. Then I'd burn it in front of them, laugh and revel in the sound of their anguished cries.

shamelabboushposted 14 years agoin reply to this

This is so cruel smile tantalizing people like that smilesmile hehehe

2. Lady_E profile image62
      Lady_Eposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Take all HP Staff and Hubbers on a Private Jet, to a Private  exotic Island to have a Pre-Christmas Party and Cruise around on a Yacht. During this time I will make plans on how to spend it, while reflecting infront of a deep blue ocean.... smile

BadCo/Tantrum - to provide games/laughter.

Misha - to keep an eye on everyone - No spammers.

Maddie - on standby for any Emergencies with HP website.

A Christian Hubber for Morning Mass - Make a choice.

Fiery - In charge of Security. No one dares mess with him.

Helen C - Giving all the ladies a Hair Makeover.

Rmcrayne - Doctor on Standby - people might get seasick.

Have I left anything out?

1. profile image0
        fierycjposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Yeah, I get to secure the hostess...and no one dare mess with me, then...*winks*

1. Lady_E profile image62
          Lady_Eposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Lol. wink

3. jacobkuttyta profile image44
      jacobkuttytaposted 14 years agoin reply to this

I wanted to start an orphanage

So nice of you, but again, you have a whole billion!!! That can start more than an orphanage!!!

4. dutchman1951 profile image60
      dutchman1951posted 14 years agoin reply to this

Find me the best Tax lawyer, and best accountant, put them on retainer, and hide it from Uncle Same as best I could, then relax!

Jon

Why hide when you can buy Hawaii and have your own Bank???

1. dutchman1951 profile image60
          dutchman1951posted 14 years agoin reply to this

not hiding in that sense, just hide the money, keep it from being re-taxed, let it provide an income, then go do what I am most passionate about. is what I meant.

I think in truth I'd help folks. probly be called a sucker for it, but I really would. I would not donate to any specific agency, just get involved directly, so the person in need gets the help they deserve, no middle man. not let it pay some exec's sallary that works for a non-profit.Help that way, directly. Get involved.

2. profile image0
    ryankettposted 14 years ago

I would buy/build a huge fishing lake in a hot country, build villas around it, with my large private residence on a quiet bit, buy a few little boats, get the whole complex gated and fenced up...... and then just live there in the sun, fishing and drinking beer, renting out the lakeside fishing villas to people.

That is all I want. I would probably buy a little football club too, Blue Square South or something..... just as a toy.

Seems you're tired of the crowds and hectic life and you just wanna be alone smile

1. profile image0
        ryankettposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Not quite alone.... I would fly friends and family out, and mingle with the lakes patrons in the bar/club.... but yes, I want an easy life with no crowds, no car horns, no builders.

Your plan is perfect. I wouldn't wish for more...

3. darkside profile image62
    darksideposted 14 years ago

I'd use $10 million to pay 100 hubbers $100,000 each to dedicate a full year to writing hubs. 2 a day, 5 days a week. All Adsense revenue is accrued, and at the end of the year they have to use the Adsense money to fly downunder for a party. Who wants to be on my list of 100 hubbers?

shamelabboush will have to be on the list because he started this thread. I've got 99 more spaces to fill.

The other $990 million I'm not sure what to do with it. I think I can live a frugal lifestyle on just 90 million and give the rest to charity.

You're a thinker, inventive and not greedy smile
      It's an honor to join the list.... smile That's a lot of gees.

2. rebekahELLE profile image85
      rebekahELLEposted 14 years agoin reply to this

I'll fill the next line, DS. big_smile

what would I do?? build a studio for my youngest son to compose music and give much to charity. I would move to a smaller home by the sea~~ and write all those hubs!

3. Luciendasky profile image61
      Luciendaskyposted 14 years agoin reply to this

oo oo!! ME ME PICK ME (waives arm about wildly!)

4. profile image0
      Ghost32posted 14 years agoin reply to this

I'm in, Darkside.  Unless your list of 100 hubbers is full up already, that is. 

If it's me that happens on the billion...have to admit I've considered that and always come up short.  No, not on cash; on a fully functional plan.  Too many what-if factors that likely can't be foreseen; ya just gots ta be there to comprehend.

Might work on rediscovering the Fountain of Youth, but that breeds its own problems.  For example, if I did discover said Fountain and lived for a million years, I'd only have $1,000 a year to live on....lol

4. Ms Chievous profile image66
    Ms Chievousposted 14 years ago

Obviously quit my job.. Travel the WORLD!  and make some sizable donations to some of the facilities I have worked for in the past.  After I got tired of traveling the world.. I would create my own organization dedicated to finding missing children

5. profile image0
    ryankettposted 14 years ago

I guess that I have a natural greed.... I didnt think of charity. I would donate sizeable amounts to charitable causes of course, but I guess this will come once my lakeside resort has been completed and opened by some prime minister.

No, you're not greedy. It's just 1 billion is too much money and you will end giving some to charity smile You will have no choice...

6. Dale Nelson profile image39
    Dale Nelsonposted 14 years ago

Well...I gotta say that it would be cool to hire the guys who do the Amazing Race TV Show and get some mates and family to do teh whole series of races around the world, but without any losers at the end of each day. You stop and party in whichever country youre at and then up and at em in the morning for the next leg of the race.

After a month or two with the bug out of the system,it would be easier to see where the real help is needed in the world.
    Darkside, I reckon I could hub about the time spent on the adventure.Cant say I would hub for the first 6 months though .

7. WeddingConsultant profile image68
    WeddingConsultantposted 14 years ago

The question should be restated to say "what would you do with...". Asking what "will" implies the money is coming! It gets my hopes up too high smile

Maybe it's just in my subconscious smile hehehe

8. Ms Chievous profile image66
    Ms Chievousposted 14 years ago

you mean we are not getting a billion dollars? Bummer!  I guess I have to go back to work now!

9. frogdropping profile image77
    frogdroppingposted 14 years ago

Shamel you know the chances of stumbling into or over a billion dollors is highly remote don't you? It's more probable that you'd walk into it.

I don't really know what I'd do with such an amount. It's perfectly obscene. I think I'll shall join Darkside's list and hub away then go play out at his party.

But I'd like a private jet with a really great, chatty pilot. One that I can watch to make sure he's driving properly. I'd need to work very very hard.

*hopes the party is fancy dress or at least includes face painting*

Froggy, you want to ruin it again donchya? smile It's just a dream, and dreams are for free....

10. profile image49
    BadCoposted 14 years ago

I wud donate every single penny to Charity !

1. frogdropping profile image77
      frogdroppingposted 14 years agoin reply to this

My new first name BC. Ta big_smile

1. profile image49
        BadCoposted 14 years agoin reply to this

No nice try, Charity is the hooker down the street smile

Poor girl, her life has been full of ups and downs !!

1. emievil profile image67
          emievilposted 14 years agoin reply to this

LOL, that's what they say to get all your money BC. smile

1. profile image49

Lol but I get to be skint again with a smile on my face smile

1. emievil profile image67

*sigh* you just made me look for the meaning of "skint" smile. not too familiar with that but thank you for giving me a new word.

But hey BC, skint or not skint, you will still get 'em smile.

1. profile image49

Lol BC is off women at the moment, they are a dangerous breed smile

1. Eaglekiwi profile image74
                  Eaglekiwiposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Int'ya well my friend? (lol)

2. emievil profile image67

tsk, this after you published a hub about women. smile

I'm not a dangerous woman, I'm very meek. NOT lol

Hey DM, at the risk of having myself castigated by the HP team, I wrote the hub for you (goat meat) wink, hope ya like it.

1. profile image0
                    rednckwmnposted 14 years agoin reply to this

sweeeeet, off to read it. smile

2. shamelabboush profile image51

Wow BC, really WOW? This is not you???? You don't want a ship? Crew? Nothing..........? An island maybe????? smile

11. emievil profile image67
    emievilposted 14 years ago

Donate to a home for the abandoned elderly so that they can move out of that remote area to a better location, build better facilities and have better care for the elders.

Some I'll use to put up a trust fund for my nephews and nieces and, hopefully, for my kids smile.

The rest I'll use to put up a website like hubpages. lol j/k

12. Misha profile image63
    Mishaposted 14 years ago

I would give it all to frogdropping, so she posts a picture of herself again smile

1. frogdropping profile image77
      frogdroppingposted 14 years agoin reply to this

I always considered myself as priceless. But you know - cold hard cash and all that smile

13. rhamson profile image70
    rhamsonposted 14 years ago

I would donate a sizeable portion to feed all the hungry in the world.  No one should starve no matter what their situation is.

14. AEvans profile image71
    AEvansposted 14 years ago

I don't know I have not had my morning cup of coffee, I will have to answer this one later. lololo big_smile

15. Eaglekiwi profile image74
    Eaglekiwiposted 14 years ago

Someone give me $1 Billion and I will tell you big_smile

1. profile image49

Give you $10 and you will tell lol !

wink Id still be better off

16. profile image0
    rednckwmnposted 14 years ago

I once saw this thing on the news, about the reward money being offered for Saddam. They were asking all these peopel, what would you do with ..sorry I forgot the amount, but like, 5 thousand dollars...and it was so much money to them, and they had lived all their lives without money, the people had no clue. They said stuff like." I would buy more food for my donkey, so he could carry more to market." or "I would buy more seeds, to have more vegetables to sell."
    Also, I recently got a bit of money from selling a bit of land. It actually wrecked a couple friendships. If I came across a billion dollars, I would use just enough to get myself out of debt, buy my kids a pony, finish my house...windowsills would be nice...probably build my mom her own "guest house" for when she finaly losses it. I would tell no one, and find ways to secretly help people out.

Yea great ideas redn!!

I love the secretive idea too smile

17. spiritedstar25 profile image60
    spiritedstar25posted 14 years ago

1 billion dollars?  Half of that would automatically go into the bank.  I'd pay off my school bill, pay off my brothers four years of college, set my mom up in a nice house wherever she wanted, get my dad out of debt and give to charity.  As far as the selfish purchases, Id travel, get a beach house out in California and a house in Florida.  Thats all I can think of for now.

18. jiberish profile image78
    jiberishposted 14 years ago

One BILLION....hum....Invest, give to charity, children & family, travel, set up a corp with several businesses. Hub all day!

19. Zsuzsy Bee profile image85
    Zsuzsy Beeposted 14 years ago

spend it

20. profile image0
    ralwusposted 14 years ago

I'd be a bank and live it up til I get bailed out of course. Then do it all over again.

21. profile image0
    sneakorocksolidposted 14 years ago

Well the first 10% is the Heavenly Fathers. Then make sure a portion is invested to take of my wife. I'd make sure my son had a nest egg for rainy days. I'd help our families make sure life was secure for them. I'd probably donate a portion to my son's university for the nice scholarship he got and for believing in him. Help members in my church that need it. Then when the dust settled I might travel alittle, but a new truck and go fishing.

God, what rainy day??? you have enough for a destructive day, catastrophic day............ smilesmile

1. profile image0
        sneakorocksolidposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Is my conervative side showing again?

Humble side smile

22. Mrvoodoo profile image57
    Mrvoodooposted 14 years ago

Drugs and hookers in such quantities that life would leave my body within 24 hours of finding the cash.

The remainder I'd leave to whomever found my body first.

This is a first!!! What happened to charity??? smile

1. Mrvoodoo profile image57
        Mrvoodooposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Well seeing as you guys are all giving your billions to charity, etc. I figured they wouldn't be short of cash for awhile.  So I'm just gonna get really really high, and get my balls drained. big_smile

1. profile image0

wait, where are you going to be?

1. Mrvoodoo profile image57
            Mrvoodooposted 14 years agoin reply to this

lol, are you after my remaining cash? (there won't be much left) big_smile

1. profile image0

i dont need much...

smile soooooooooo drained....... lol

23. starme77 profile image76
    starme77posted 14 years ago

I would build a nice apartment complex for homeless people  -  and open an assisted living facility for elderly citizens who need real care - and then - I would go on ....like a super long vacation to Jamaca

Ok, what about threst? you need few millions tps for your projects, what abou the remaining zillion???????

24. RedSonja94 profile image60
    RedSonja94posted 14 years ago

I would build the house of my dreams on 10 acres out in nowhere.  Then I would get every technological device I could for everyone in my family.  I would pay off houses for my entire family.  I would give substantially to the Red Cross and United Way as well.

25. lampar profile image57
    lamparposted 14 years ago

I can do a lot of things for a billion. First quit my job and start a company manufacture product that compete with my present employer; second buy myself some nice toys and a week of vacation in far away land, third try to make more out of the left over billion; fourth...then; the lists go on and go......

1. Don W profile image83
      Don Wposted 14 years agoin reply to this

LOL sorry about this. Don't mean to mess with your fantasy or anything, we've all got our thoughts. But if you had a billion dollars, you'd seriously spend your time trying to make more money? You sir are a credit to consumerism lol

I think he is just a practical workoholic man smile

2. lampar profile image57
        lamparposted 14 years agoin reply to this

I have no control in my fantasy, making another million if not billion is just another small fantasy in the biggest fantasy i look forward will happen.

What's with you all trying to quit your jobs???? By your company and throw the buggers out smile

1. lampar profile image57
        lamparposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Buy my present company with the billion i had is not going to generate another billion in my another fantasy. It is just a crappy company to begin with.

Ok then, buy yer company, fire the buggers and bring it down to the gound or make it a zoo...

26. BrianFanslau profile image60
    BrianFanslauposted 14 years ago

I would send build all the wells in Africa under the name "Unknown"

Then spend the rest on developing robotic gnomes for space exploration.

27. profile image55
    Shaun2posted 14 years ago

I would love to travel the world.  I want to see every country, well almost every country.

Life is ment to be fun after all.  I don't know if I would ever be able to see everything I wanted, and I don't know what I would do if I did see it all.

28. tantrum profile image62
    tantrumposted 14 years ago

I'll put it to work and make 4 B

29. qbanmamiof2 profile image60
    qbanmamiof2posted 14 years ago

If I had a Billion Dollars I would first open annuities for my kids for like a million each initial investment. I would buy me a bigger house with a huge yard so they can better play. (1.5 mil) Second, I would travel the world. That's probably about another 2 million there in fares,spending money, hotels and car rental. I would help my family, keep about 100 mil for me and my family and the rest I would give to the make a wish foundation with the clause that they have to make every kids wish true even if they aren't in the grave status yet.

30. profile image0
    fierycjposted 14 years ago

Make the most incredible movie EVER! It would cost me exactly $1 Billion...

You are not serious? Who's casting???

1. profile image0

I'm casting...and yes, I'm very very serious...

So you're serious! Its gonna be a solo one act movie? What's the story?

2. emievil profile image67

Hey CJ, is that really you?!??!?!

Hey, why not have a movie casting all of us? Then we'll share in your $1B smile

1. worldgrandeur profile image58
        worldgrandeurposted 14 years agoin reply to this

I am good in acting, good point smile

2. profile image0

he he he he

31. worldgrandeur profile image58
    worldgrandeurposted 14 years ago

I'd buy a country on my own and live their... smile

So ambitious!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Whay don't you buy an army and attack all of us too wink

32. ScarletRyan1970 profile image60
    ScarletRyan1970posted 14 years ago

Hello,

I would burn the lot!Have a beach party and watch my friend's faces drop.

Very mean my fiend smile

33. ScarletRyan1970 profile image60
    ScarletRyan1970posted 14 years ago

Hello,

Yes a real meany,peany. As tight as a pair of Nuns knickers.
    Ah ha ha.

34. profile image0
    shinujohn2008posted 14 years ago

give it to me and i will show you

35. worldgrandeur profile image58
    worldgrandeurposted 14 years ago

I'd buy microsoft company and give away all the softwares for free.. smile

36. visitmaniac profile image60
    visitmaniacposted 14 years ago

If I had that much money I wouldn't have to do anything so I vote for doing nothing LOL big_smile

37. zadrobi profile image59
    zadrobiposted 14 years ago

I would hire an orchestra to follow me around and play my life's background music smile

38. forlan profile image61
    forlanposted 14 years ago

I will build an online company

39. earnestshub profile image81
    earnestshubposted 14 years ago

A Billion dollars! That is seriously useful loot!
    1. Spend half of it on the poor.
    2. Invest one third.
    3. Buy houses and cars for my family.
    2. Set up a trust fund for my grandchildren.
    Thanks! I enjoyed thinking I had a billion! smile

Now, this is a serious and practical thinking..... Have fun with the billion smile

40. earnestshub profile image81
    earnestshubposted 14 years ago

Wow! Do I get to imagine it again? That's great! smile

Dreams are for free my friend!!! It wouldn't hurt to dream a bit smile

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)