jump to last post 1-14 of 14 discussions (16 posts)

does anyone do trik or treating door to door anymore?

1. starme77 profile image85
    starme77posted 7 years ago

Just wondering because it always scared me to take my children trick or treating -

1. bipolar girl profile image60
      bipolar girlposted 7 years ago in reply to this

Lol hell yeah although most people dont answer their doors these days lol, sign of the times.

2. thranax profile image60
    thranaxposted 7 years ago

Yes, I even helped my neighbors with there 3 kids, although I'm from a pretty nice town.

3. Misha profile image74
    Mishaposted 7 years ago

Sure we do. When in Rome...

4. Lisa HW profile image82
    Lisa HWposted 7 years ago

Where I live Trick or Treat is still a big deal (and I love it, even though my own kids are grown).  The town posts in the paper when the hours will be (it's always 6 to 8), and parents bring their kids around (often in groups of parents and/or kids).  Most bring their children only around their own neighborhood, although some non-neighbors come to my neighborhood if they live where the road is too dark to be safe.  I know most of the kids who show up (sometimes only because their parents are there).  People who want their kids to get to a party often come out early.  I guess the reasoning (for parents feeling safe to bring their kids) is that they know the neighbors.  (If nothing else, it's unlikely someone you know would dare give out "evil" candy.)  Besides, in my neighborhood people are either close friends or else at least have known the neighbors for years.  New neighbors trust the judgment of the long-timers. 

I do up the little baggies with stickers and ribbons and candy in them, but then - just because its traditional - I give out as an extra little packets of candy corn.  I have a smiling pumpkin with lighted eyes that hangs on my driveway light, and put a flashlight in a giant pumpkin I hang on the along the walk.  I do the mums and happy pumpkin face on the door, with a cute black kitty cut-out low, where the littlest visitors can see it.  So, after all that - yes, people do still do Trick or Treating.   smile   Of course, my son lives in an apartment building in the city, and he doesn't get anyone - so I guess it depends where you live.   If your kids are really little they could probably be happy only going to a very few houses where you know the people.  When I was really little my parents let me go the five houses right around ours, and I thought it was great.  smile

5. lrohner profile image85
    lrohnerposted 7 years ago

Are you kidding? I get anywhere from 500 to 800 kids at my door looking for candy on Halloween night!!!

6. Lisa HW profile image82
    Lisa HWposted 7 years ago

Irohner, that must be kind of fun.   lol    I only get - like - 30 to 40 or so.   I'd like more.  Now that my own kids are big giving out candy and chatting a little to the little kids is my only Halloween "fun".  smile

7. Dalyinx profile image90
    Dalyinxposted 7 years ago

Some kids around here do.

Hey, even I went trick or treating last year, then again I was only 19. 

Free candy though, why not?  Had a couple people offer us beer, too.

8. 0
    ralwusposted 7 years ago

Every year here, neighborhood by neighborhood. All is safe.

9. 0
    Louidam1posted 7 years ago

I get only about a few kids come to my door but thats probably because I live on the top floor of my apartment.

1. Aqua profile image78
      Aquaposted 7 years ago in reply to this

My neighborhood is safe and very quiet. However, not one kid came to door last year! I was pretty shocked about that. There are lots of retired people in my neighborhood, maybe that's why.

10. Paradise7 profile image86
    Paradise7posted 7 years ago

We live too close to the city, so parents don't think it's safe.  I bought candy for three years running, but no kids showed up.  I was a little saddened by that; I ending up eating the candy myself and sharing it out at work and with relatives.

Parents have Halloween parties or take the kids to school parties. 

Teens go Goth and do all kinds of weird, wild, and sometimes wicked stuff.

It really IS safer for the kids at home or at school.

11. KCC Big Country profile image83
    KCC Big Countryposted 7 years ago

Trick or treating is HUGE in our small town in Central Texas.  Very few houses opt out of participating.  So, it's door after door of chocolatey goodness. We have an M&M Mars factory nearby.  They give out the good stuff.

12. Jane@CM profile image61
    Jane@CMposted 7 years ago

Yes they do...they use to come in hordes, however our neighborhood kids have grown & now I only get 20 or 30 kids.

13. Song-Bird profile image83
    Song-Birdposted 7 years ago

They still do by us - we get about 50 kids.

14. Lily Rose profile image83
    Lily Roseposted 7 years ago

We do - last year was out first time, actually.  My girls are 3 and 4.  We just stayed within our small neighborhood.  I do get nervous about all the junk they get because I try and keep them away from candy most of the time.  My sister told me about the "switch witch" - you know, the one who takes the candy you leave for her to kids that don't get to go trick-or-treating and leaves you a small toy in return?

Last year I let my girls each pick 2 or 3 of their candies and they happily put the rest in a basket for the switch witch and when they woke up the next morning, the switch witch had left them something special - they loved it and they're already wondering what the switch witch will leave them this year ....maybe Playmobil toys?