jump to last post 1-7 of 7 discussions (12 posts)

Long vs. Short

1. visitmaniac profile image59
    visitmaniacposted 7 years ago

WOW, Maybe I am using this forum to much but I do have another question for you all.

Are long hub pages better then splitting up the content into more specific categorizes and posting a different hub for each?

If I go long can I anchor text to each specific spot some how and place it near the top for example where I would normally place an image?

1. Dale Mazurek profile image59
      Dale Mazurekposted 7 years ago in reply to this

Dude, off the topic I tried emailing you and it said your email box is full.  Just thought I would let you know

2. Pearldiver profile image86
      Pearldiverposted 7 years ago in reply to this

With a hub name like Visitmaniac, perhaps you are Not using the forums enough!

Like Iroher, I too prefer longer hubs and could probably quadruple my hub numbers if I wrote shorter hubs. But I think 300 - 400 words is way too short and information-wise, probably insufficient for the reader.

For the commercial application of advertisements, then it could be considered okay.

To those who choose to practice the art of writing; most would consider longer hubs. Writing short promo articles, while popular atm probably have a limited lifetime.

Well.... I could have said this in 10 words: But you probably wouldn't have appreciated the advice. hmm

3. relache profile image88
      relacheposted 7 years ago in reply to this

I make Hubs that are as long as they need to be for that specific topic.  If something is related but not really relevant, that to me is the sign that it could probably be its own Hub.

2. lrohner profile image85
    lrohnerposted 7 years ago

I think you'll get differing answers on here. There are some hubbers who believe 300-400 words are sufficient, and others who believe 1,000+ is the magic number.

I'm in the 'longer is better' camp, but I also think writing a series of hubs and linking them together is great!

3. visitmaniac profile image59

Hey Dale sorry about that old account forgot to change the email address EEEKKK its updated I will send you over another contact big_smile

4. visitmaniac profile image59

Thanks Pearldiver wonderful advice. I believe I am going to go the long route with this next hub I am writing up. I want to provide value to the reader and give them a taste of something for free wink Still looking for a way to anchor the text if it is at all possible here on hub pages wish it was any ideas?

1. rebekahELLE profile image91
      rebekahELLEposted 7 years ago in reply to this

yes, you can. check out this article, it's very helpful.

hope this answers your question. if not, someone will more than likely show up to help you.

5. Marisa Wright profile image92
    Marisa Wrightposted 7 years ago

I've written Hubs about 400 to 500 words long and I think they're OK, provided there's lots of other material there (i.e. photos, video clips, links capsules, highlighted boxes etc.). Otherwise that would be too short. 

Do some Googling and you'll find most people say 1,500 words is a good maximum limit, because on the internet, most people's eyes glaze over around that point.

6. loveofnight profile image81
    loveofnightposted 7 years ago

i've have seen some long hubs that just kept repeating the same thing using different words,they would have been better off with 500 words and stopped.then there are the long ones that are a good read.as long as you don't loose yourself and the reader in the thicket of words go for it.

1. Marisa Wright profile image92
      Marisa Wrightposted 7 years ago in reply to this

That's a good way of putting it.  Ways to avoid the "thicket of words" in a long Hub are:

- keep paragraphs short, especially if they're next to a photo or video clip.

- Break it up with headings.

- If you have an important point to make, consider putting it in a right-floated, highlighted text box.

- be generous with photos and videos to break up the text.

7. jacobkuttyta profile image46
    jacobkuttytaposted 7 years ago

good question and many wise advices.  Thanks for sharing.