jump to last post 1-17 of 17 discussions (19 posts)

Corrections in comment box

1. William F. Torpey profile image84
    William F. Torpeyposted 9 years ago

I've had trouble correcting typos in comment boxes recently. When on click on edit comment the box comes up, but it won't let me make any changes. I used to check for typos first, but since you have an edit feature I thought I'd check it afterwards. I see that was a mistake.

1. profile image0
      Iðunnposted 9 years ago in reply to this

happenz to me too, sometimes.  if you have your stuff linked by group, you can click over to the next one, then right back, easiest way.

2. Kenny Wordsmith profile image83
    Kenny Wordsmithposted 9 years ago

It stops being editable after a point. That's a good thing because in the hands of wicked hubbers, it's a dangerous tool.
    Visitor: This is a great hub, John.
    Hubber: I always think Politics is a game of Kings, Queens and Knaves. Thank you Mary.
    Visitor: How right you are, John! That's an insightful comment on present politics.

Now, suppose these two had fallen out over something in the forums, and John returns to edit his comment.

Visitor: This is a great hub, John.
    Hubber: But you are lowlife, Mary! Politics deserve people like you!
    Visitor: How right you are, John! That's an insightful comment on present politics.

big_smile

So it's good that it stops being editable after a period.

3. profile image0
    Iðunnposted 9 years ago

well I'm mindlessly stubborn in this area.  I type and enter, then proofread.  I can say "it's easier to do it right than it is to do it twice" as many times as I want and generally go by that, but not with typing. I don't know why not.  Some kind of personal glitch.  lolz

funny example and I hadn't thought of it.  sometimes it's typos, sometimes it's rewording a thought to be clearer.  that example you presented hadn't crossed my mind.  :p

4. Kenny Wordsmith profile image83

I realized that when I editted a comment and discovered that you had left a comment while I was occupied in the process. Luckily, yours was a general kind of statement, or I should have left it as it was. Lest you are offended.

You can make the next person in line really look silly by editting the original comment. A great way to lose friends and upset people.

5. profile image0
    Iðunnposted 9 years ago

I suppose one could and create just that.  generally if I'm uneasy with a comment, mine or someone else's for whatever reason at any time, I simply remove it and any other relating to it that I can without losing flow - just pull all.

I've had to make judgement calls sometimes for my own emotional protection.  If I'm uncomfortable, I get to be uncomfortable and make myself more comfortable.  If I don't take care of me, nobody will. 

Typically I'm more prone to covering for someone else's feelings at the cost of my own - that's just 'how I roll' <---- I love working in that phrase lately. :p  However, experience is the best teacher.  Sometimes people rely on that and manipulate it to be excessively damaging in a double-edged sword.

They get to make me uncomfortable and present it as "here.  I can do this to you and you can't stop me."  then, when if I just shut them out, they hit me with being snobby or being rude or whatever, but it's all a game of lose-lose for me.  If I have to lose, I want to lose fighting to protect me rather than the trying to protect the person making me uneasy. 

That's as clear as I can be about my comment control.

6. Kenny Wordsmith profile image83

Hmm, so that's how you roll smile

It's funny, isn't it, how much of us lives in our comments? Sometimes I'm surprised when people learn so much about me from my comments! We reveal much.

7. profile image0
    Iðunnposted 9 years ago

the first two things I noticed and liked about you were that you were smart and you were funny.  that alone would have worked for me as to looking for your wordz.  the rest was all just icing. smile

8. Kenny Wordsmith profile image83

I fished for the wrong compliment! But thanks!
    I don't want to be smart and funny; I want to be kind!

9. profile image0
    Iðunnposted 9 years ago

You are kind too, but I admit for me it really is icing.  I love wit/genius/wordz first.  I'm occasionally drawn to the dangerous with that, but happily enough with you, the kindness is there too. smile

10. Kenny Wordsmith profile image83

I have seen enough of wit and wordplay in my circles, to respect it as much as kindness, that's why I want to tend towards it. Compassion and empathy, I mean.
    You are very kind, but keep it hidden under wordz. wink

11. profile image0
    Iðunnposted 9 years ago

to that all I can say is a simple thank you.  yes, I believe I am a kind person, as given to flaws and fears as the next one, but yes.  thank you, kenny.

I admit I've cast a fairly large net out here for protection from 'uneasy', because of that stalking thing.  I wouldn't hurt others, but I won't be left holding the 'uneasy bag' this time by my own choice, which has happened in the past, and then beat myself up for not protecting myself. 

as a result I'm less approachable than the 'real me' when I was quite trusting before all this, but if people give me enough space and time to trust, it gets better.  I'm really trying and it's one of the reasons I came back to hubz specifically - the ability to protect myself in my own environment. 

I have good and bad days on the trust issue.

12. Kenny Wordsmith profile image83

You are stronger!

13. profile image0
    Iðunnposted 9 years ago

I didn't want to have to be. sad

14. Kenny Wordsmith profile image83

Yes, of course. I would not wish it on people to undergo something that will make them stronger. Suffer today to be stronger tomorrow. No.

15. kpfingaz profile image78
    kpfingazposted 9 years ago

Maybe hubpages can do a preview comment then post kinda thing.

This way you could preview, proof, edit if necessary and then post.

1. Kenny Wordsmith profile image83
      Kenny Wordsmithposted 9 years ago in reply to this

That usually works.

16. profile image0
    Iðunnposted 9 years ago

I could have passed on it too.

Sometimes I try to justify what happened to me on that basis, that it was meant to be something for me to learn from, but not as much.  I think sometimes life isn't fair.  It would be so wonderful if everyone was just nice, you know?  And I sulked about that for so long without taking any actions to make me better.  Why couldn't it be like this or that?  Why aren't people nice?  Why won't she just stop?  It was useless and in the long term, damaging.

I can't control all that and at heart I don't want to.  I just want the right to be as imperfect as the next person.  No more, you can do this to me, but even stating you did it is some kind of attack back by that person's double standards and double-binds because I and only I have to be some kind of saint, benefit of the doubt, and all of that.

I'm too vulnerable right now for anymore of that.  She got in more damage than she ever should have because she knew I'd try to trust, go out of my way to avoid conflict, and fall prey to an ingrained UMC courtesy mode that has almost been undentable until now, and she never will get that chance again.  Never.

17. William F. Torpey profile image84
    William F. Torpeyposted 9 years ago

Thanks, everyone, for all the good comments and good ideas.

working