jump to last post 1-3 of 3 discussions (6 posts)

Queston of Copyright.

1. macbeth25 profile image60
    macbeth25posted 7 years ago

This is actually a question I would ask an attorney, were one of my photos, art work or anyother of my creations used without permission, but I'm throwing it to you to get some opinions and also to make those who use photos without permission -- and the HUB editors -- think a bit.  What would happen if someone decided to sue the HUBBER for using photos, art work or other material without permission or credit.  Could they sue HUB pages? If there are rules pertaining to such use, what are they? Do HUB editors enforce the rules?

1. Mark Knowles profile image60
      Mark Knowlesposted 7 years ago in reply to this

They would have to go through the motions required to do so.
      They are in the FAQ and are quite comprehensive - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Digital_Mi … yright_Act this is where you complain to hubpages - http://hubpages.com/faq/#copyright

2. Marisa Wright profile image92
      Marisa Wrightposted 7 years ago in reply to this

No, because if they did attempt to enforce the rules, they would be seen as taking responsibility for enforcing them - and therefore would  open themselves up to being sued for failing to do so!

3. mandybeau1 profile image60
      mandybeau1posted 7 years ago in reply to this

Artwork copyright is extremely difficult to enforce. It is often copied by foreign Artists) ie foreign to the residential countryn of the originator. Take it from someone that works in the area.
      I know of one instance where a plagerist went to jail for obvious fraud, incidentally that gent is now famous in his own right. The second instance, involved alngthy legal battle, the result suspension from an Art selling Site.
      The Artist that sued a the only one that lost out, huge legal bills as he was back in a short time with another name, selling, it seemed on behalf.
      I have come to the decision that copyright is indeed flattering as most copies are embarrassingly bad. This means that the plagerist is highly unlikely to make any remunerationm for his copyright breach. My own work has been copied, prolifically.

2. Whitney05 profile image68
    Whitney05posted 7 years ago

I would think an attorney would be more money than it would be worth.

Hubpages does their part to enforce the rules. If something of yours is copied, go to the other website comply with their DMCA rules. If the other site has Adsense ads, then it may be easier to go straight to Google.

I have a hub on if your content was copied. It may give you a start to your question. http://hubpages.com/hub/Copied-Content

3. sunforged profile image67
    sunforgedposted 7 years ago

Theoretically the plagiarist could be held liable for any cases of infringement.

In actuality, cost and jurisdiction make this scenario highly improbable.

Im sure Hubpages user agreements indemnifys them from user created content