jump to last post 1-4 of 4 discussions (4 posts)

Domain name registration

1. Pr0metheus profile image60
    Pr0metheusposted 7 years ago

I'm thinking about purchasing a domain name, but GoDaddy has kind of scared me off.  Their ToS states that you must inform them you are terminating service no earlier than 10 days before your next billing date, and no later than 3 days before your next billing date.  That's an awfully short window for a date that only comes once a year!  Not to mention you have to pay $25 if you want the domain to be 'certified'.

Are there any other recommended registrars?

2. darkside profile image84
    darksideposted 7 years ago

Dotster are good.

Use the coupon code edealinfo20 for 20% off.

If that doesn't work try nvu.

3. sunforged profile image70
    sunforgedposted 7 years ago

If you are new to the game, than pick a domain registrar that can also provide hosting at a good deal.

Otherwise you will spend some time learning to change cname records, etc.

I would go with Hostgator or 1 and 1 .

1 and 1 has an amazing promotion right now that gives you a free domain name, and a free year of hosting with a 2 year contract (which is between 6-10/month)

That being said the majority of my domains are from Godaddy as they offer a free push between accounts so those who like to buy and sell domains use godaddy alot, most providers charge for a transfer of ownership. Also, I have a coupon code that makes all domains only 7.49 for first year.

Not even sure what your referring to about the TOS , ,maybe that relates to auto-renew options, either way you are notified via email rather frequently when a domain is about to expire.

As far as "certified" goes, thats a competitive price and is a service you have no need for, actually nobody has a need for.

but where did you get that price?

from their site:

Add a Certified Domain Seal Just $2.99/yr

certified is great to prove rliability when you have an ecommerce site, but who cares about godaddy cert ...your payment processor will have cool little logos that proves their service is encrypted

unless you were talking about an SSL cert?

4. cloudy days profile image62
    cloudy daysposted 7 years ago

Namecheap has cheap domain registration prices and right now they offer free privacy protection with all new domains (WhoIsGuard). I had been using GoDaddy, but I'm switching to them (at least for as long as the promotion is going on smile )