jump to last post 1-5 of 5 discussions (6 posts)

Link Protocol/Procedure

1. aoiffe379 profile image62
    aoiffe379posted 7 years ago

Is there a procedure that has to be followed if one wants to include links in one's hubs? For example,I wrote a hub on What Is In Your Vision and mentioned Helen Keller.I included the link and then discovered later that I got a message that it was broken.I referred to a fire engine and included a link to an image.That page could not be found.The same happened when I referred to Uncle Arthur's Bedtime Stories. Do I have to send an email to someone at the website where I want a link asking for permission to link to the website?My hub is still unpublished as I am trying to find links that will provide my visitors with more information on the subject.I am creating some videos but what if I need links to current or recent items,a speech by a popular person etc? Please inform me about any rules or procedures as I have  hubs waiting for this answer.

1. Marisa Wright profile image92
      Marisa Wrightposted 7 years ago in reply to this

No, you don't have to ask for a website's permission to link them. Most websites will be very happy for you to link, as it improves their ranking in Google. 

You may be linking incorrectly - perhaps if you describe how you're doing it, we can tell you where you're going wrong.

As for linking to an image - were you trying to put the image in the Hub, or just including a text link?  How were you doing it?

2. Dame Scribe profile image61
    Dame Scribeposted 7 years ago

I use links in my own Hubs with the Link capsule and also insert links directly in articles with the hyperlink icon (that little chain) and haven't had major problems that you are experiencing. Are you using these methods? If you are using copyrighted pictures then yes, you may be required to ask for permission to use them. Embedding videos, will usually state if they are disabled otherwise again, just use the video capsule. hmm hope that helps.

3. 0
    Janettaposted 7 years ago

make sure you are copy/pasting the correct link. Just using the highlighted text on another website will produce a broken link. Make sure you go the actual page you wish to send viewers to and copy the address from that page.

4. Dame Scribe profile image61
    Dame Scribeposted 7 years ago

In reference to Janetta's reply, the address that's found in the browser, top of the page, is the address you use to paste into the link/hyperlink field for your article wink

5. aoiffe379 profile image62
    aoiffe379posted 7 years ago

Thank you very much. I will try again.Maybe I missed doing something right.