jump to last post 1-6 of 6 discussions (20 posts)

Threads Closed to Reply

1. rmcrayne profile image94
    rmcrayneposted 7 years ago

Seems like there are a noticeable number of forum threads closed to reply.  Veteran hubbers, are the current numbers typical?  Some threads I assume get closed to reply because the topic is controversial or inflammatory, but it seems that other similar threads remain open.  Some threads I really don't see at all why they are closed.  Is there some consistency in these closings I'm missing?

I understand there are HP TOS, rules of engagement etc.  I found this thread reply by Maggie Rudd: 

http://hubpages.com/forum/topic/18925
    There are a number of reasons threads get closed (including personal attacks, thread hijacking, etc).  Sometimes I close threads because they've run their course, or there have been new developments that make them irrelevant.  This is the case with the recent threads to which you refer.

If someone wants to quote or reference additional official responses, fine.  But what I'm really interested in are the opinions and experiences of hubbers on this.  Unless there is some rule against this.

1. jiberish profile image78
      jiberishposted 7 years ago in reply to this

Wierd things happen, not sure what happened there, except to say that someone was offended with the Bush picture depicting him as the joker.  Or some other crazy reason people get offended.  Maybe someone reported it and the Hub team agreed. It's getting to be a guessing game these days.

rmcrayneposted 7 years ago in reply to this

I loved your reply on that thread about having an affair with both parties!

2. 0
        A Texanposted 7 years ago in reply to this

Jiberish what got closed with Bush Joker picture?

2. AEvans profile image70
    AEvansposted 7 years ago

I have closed several of my own threads so that it would not get out of hand. I monitor them closely and if mud slinging becomes really bad I request to close. smile

Good to know.  How do you close your own?

1. AEvans profile image70
        AEvansposted 7 years ago in reply to this

You just contact teamhubpages and request that the close it. smile

2. 0
      cosetteposted 7 years ago in reply to this

we can close our own threads?

hmm...

3. frogdropping profile image86
    frogdroppingposted 7 years ago

Maddie is our playground monitor. She has to be. because sometimes our forum resembles one. No finger pointing mind - I enjoyed my playground years for the main.

I was the Marble Champion at my school and the bane of boys lives for quite a few years.

Until I lost my marbles that is smile

Are you sure?  Did you check all of your pockets? smile

4. frogdropping profile image86

Actually - I never did. I wore a lot of my brothers cast offs. maybe he's got my marbles? neutral

5. Maddie Ruud profile image81
    Maddie Ruudposted 7 years ago

I closed a bunch of threads from people asking for fans this morning, if that's what you're referring to.  Solely self-promotional threads are often closed to prevent them from being endlessly bumped.

(And it's Maddie Ruud, not Maggie Rudd.  I often get Rudd, and I sometimes get Maggie, but I don't think I've ever gotten them put together before. wink)

Thanks Maddie.  Sorry about the goof.  My name is Rose Mary, and I get Rose Marie, Mary Ann, Ruth Ann, Mary Rose, Ann Mary.  My favs are from kids:  Mo Rary and Miss Raspberry.

Nope re:  self promotional.  I totally get that.  I often report those threads.  THey are totally tiresome.

2. GeneralHowitzer profile image64
      GeneralHowitzerposted 7 years ago in reply to this

And I'm one of 'em sorry I'm not fully aware that asking for fans to be fanned is self promoting since I usually see people doing this for the past few months, Hayz if just know it...

Yes GH, I agree there have been numerous posts regarding fans, as well as other milestones, number of views, people posting to mark milestones for others or promote helping others reach X# of fans etc.  Certainly not all of the threads have been closed.  Some of the recent closures were pretty obvious though.  People who joined a couple days ago and wanting fans &/or people to read their hubs. 

I thought it was encouraged to promote in the forums for HubNuggets for example, but then I got cold feet, mentioned it on a few posts, but did not start a thread.

1. Marisa Wright profile image92
          Marisa Wrightposted 7 years ago in reply to this

Yes it is, but it has to be relevant to the thread.  So for instance, in Extreme Hub Makeover, you can post a link to a Hub for review.  In HubNuggets, you post a link to your HubNugget Hubs, etc.  It's never really appropriate to tout for fans.

The silly thing is, people don't realise touting for fans is a waste of time anyway - your HubScore will actually suffer if you go on a fanning spree, and fans don't make you any money.

1. GeneralHowitzer profile image64
            GeneralHowitzerposted 7 years ago in reply to this

Now I see hehehe my author score dropped 4 notch down hayz, thanks for the info...

Just want to ask Marissa is it okay to inform those people that you featured their hubs and commented to visit them if they have time and at the same time you place a link to it, is this a spam...

2. rmcrayne profile image94

I get what you're saying, but when you're only a few weeks into HP, money is a ways off.  Fans and views are the newbie's reward.

6. frogdropping profile image86

*would have been highly amusing if Maddie closed this one. Just for the irony slant*

big_smilebig_smilebig_smile

I thought about this too!!

working