jump to last post 1-4 of 4 discussions (6 posts)

New Hubber. Looking for tips on citing sources/avoiding plagiarism.

1. jdaviswrites profile image91
    jdaviswritesposted 7 years ago

I'm enjoying everything about the site and beginning my first hub. But one question about hub postings. Is one supposed to cite their paraphrased information as you would in a research paper? provide a link? or not bother? I want to give credit where credit is due, and of course not plagiarize anyone. Any insight would be helpful...

1. Uninvited Writer profile image83
      Uninvited Writerposted 7 years ago in reply to this

You could try putting it in your own words. Or put something like for example:

According to wikipedia, "blah, blah, blah."

2. 0
    cosetteposted 7 years ago

i'm not an old-timer so i'm not exactly sure of the absolute correct answer, but as for me, if i quote someone, i always credit the source.

p.s. welcome aboard smile

1. starme77 profile image84
      starme77posted 7 years ago in reply to this

Ditto thats how its supposed to be done

3. Lisa HW profile image83
    Lisa HWposted 7 years ago

If the Hub required research, rather than just your own knowledge, giving credit is always what you should do.  If you use any direct quotes at all you need to cite the source "formally".  If you paraphrase information from one source you can do what Uninvited Writer suggested.  If your research included a several sources that all pretty much say the same thing you could do something like include a general list of sources at the end.  If the sources provided conflicting information you should go with the "according to.." kind of thing, and make it clear who contributed what to your overall presentation.

4. jdaviswrites profile image91
    jdaviswritesposted 7 years ago

thanks everyone...