The Hub Challenge is a Great Way to Prepare for Christmas Selling

Jump to Last Post 1-30 of 30 discussions (49 posts)
  1. profile image0
    Nelle Hoxieposted 14 years ago

For those of you who haven't been selling online before, you won't believe how things explode during the Christmas selling season. If you don't have some hubs up and ready, I'm afraid you'll feel a little left out.

I've done this for over 10 years now, and I remember almost passing out my first Christmas when I saw what sales were like. (I had started in early January, so I did have a year's worth of work.)

Generally the feeling is that webpages should be up by Sept 1 to have time to cure in Google. But I really believe that Hubs are picked up so fast by G, that if they're up by Oct 31, you'll be seeing some sales for the Christmas Season.

So I've decided to make at least 50 hubpages during this next challenge geared toward Christmas sales. But if you do 30 in 30, I think you'll be amazed at what you see in November and December.

1. viryabo profile image95
      viryaboposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Great advice Nellie. Been procastinating. Thinking about taking part in the next one, i think starting tomorrow. Not sure.

2. profile image0
      cosetteposted 14 years agoin reply to this

really?

wow.

thanks so much for this info. i'm psyched! smile

2. steffer profile image60
    stefferposted 14 years ago

hey thanks for the great tip, you gave.
    do we need to sign up for the hubchallenge or something?

3. profile image0

No you don't. Just write your 30 hubs in 30 days and you can post them in the topic in this forum.

There are some sticky topics at the beginning of the forum to help you get started. And Darkside and Ryan hav posted some great info.

1. RedElf profile image90
      RedElfposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Sorry, I am confused - I confuse easily some days wink -Do we post our links in this thread or in the challenge forum - cause I am def in for this!
      Red

4. steffer profile image60
    stefferposted 14 years ago

thanks

5. lrohner profile image69
    lrohnerposted 14 years ago

Nelle -- As always, you are a fountain of wisdom. Thanks for this!

6. profile image0

You're very welcome. Does this mean you're joining us?

7. profile image0
    Aquaposted 14 years ago

I really, really want to participate but I'm afraid with going to school full time, I just won't be able to keep up. At some point, something's got to give.

I will definitely write as many as I can though. Here's to the challenge! smile

8. KCC Big Country profile image85
    KCC Big Countryposted 14 years ago

You are so right, Nelle!  I missed out last year. I was just too new and too green.  I'm really excited about this year!  I've started my 4th HubChallenge yesterday and have invited everyone to join me.  It's nothing you have to officially sign up for, but if you want people to know you have it would be nice to speak up....LOL  As Nelle said, there is lots of info that Ryan and Darkside have put in the forums and there is a thread to post your links as you publish your hubs.

1. profile image0
      Nelle Hoxieposted 14 years agoin reply to this

With over 200 hubs I think you'll be having a very merry Christmas this year!

9. profile image0

Hi RedElf I'm glad you're joining us.

Post your challenge hubs in the topic at the beginning of the 30 Hubs in 30 Days Forum. It's right at the top. You can't miss it and you'll see everyone elses' hubs.

Don't worry I have those days when I confuse easily too, everyone does.

10. NaomiR profile image75
    NaomiRposted 14 years ago

Thanks for the tip, Nelle. I'm in!

... off to brainstorm Christmas hubs....

11. KCC Big Country profile image85
    KCC Big Countryposted 14 years ago

Welcome aboard RedElf & Naomi!

12. emievil profile image68
    emievilposted 14 years ago

Hey Nelle, how did I miss this post of yours? I was actually thinking of putting one hub (only one for now) for Amazon. If I do, may I ask you to look at it and give me feedback? smile

1. profile image0

Let me know when it's up. I'll be glad to give it the once over.

1. emievil profile image68
        emievilposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Woohhooo, thanks Nelle *hugz*.

13. profile image0
    girly_girl09posted 14 years ago

Good idea, Nelle. I am definitely going to try to get in a few. I have been a bit disappointed with adsense earnings this month so far, so hopefully some product hubs will translate into more amazon sales for the 4th quarter.

14. Dale Mazurek profile image61
    Dale Mazurekposted 14 years ago

Nelle is so right,  My one particuliar niche is geared towards adsense and I am already seeing the numbers go up.

Every year through October, November and December my adsense earnings go from consistent three figures to quite high 4 figures

You gotta love Christmas

15. profile image0
    lynnechandlerposted 14 years ago

I'm looking forward to this year and seeing what happens. Kinda getting in a little late cause I was posting stuff elsewhere when I should have been here since I joined. I'm trying to make up for the lost time though with this months postings.

16. Flightkeeper profile image67
    Flightkeeperposted 14 years ago

Thank you Nellie, you inspired me to complete one hub about toys. You're great to give us a nudge so that we can prepare for the Christmas season.

17. profile image0

It is taking a bit longer for Google to get to our hubs - about a week or so - so it is important to work on Christmas hubs now.

Merchandising and marketing is such a strange world. You always have to be 3 to 6 months ahead to stay on course. I made list for Christmas hub ideas in July. Now I'm already making lists for Valentine's Day and St. Patricks. And trying to think about less obvious niche plays as well.

1. Flightkeeper profile image67
      Flightkeeperposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Wow you really prepare ahead, it's great to give us a heads up. Most of us don't really think about merchandising and marketing but I know that you've been really successful at it so I'm taking your advice.

2. Lily Rose profile image87
      Lily Roseposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Just wanted to say thanks, Nelle, for posting this.  I knew about having to let your hubs "age" before they get ranked, but it didn't click until I read your thread that I better get off by ass and get writing some more!

You probably noticed, I got out 6 hubs yesterday, only one today so far.  Hopefully I'll get in a couple over the weekend.

Google is picking up for me lately and last I checked earlier today I was about $2.55 from my first payout!

Amazon is not doing well for me - made about 14 sales over the last 3 months and not very much commission.  Hopefully it'll pick up soon.

18. earner profile image81
    earnerposted 14 years ago

I am in the UK, it's annoying that I the ebay and amazon are US-based ones as I feel it limits a lot of opportunities for writing about the local area and goings  on because any ebay/amazon items would be for the US versions.

I find often the stuff just isn't available on the US ebay at all, or if it is then a UK clicker would find themselves on the .com ebay and switch off, also prices are in $.  So I have to either write for the American market (with your crazy spellings and different words for things), or just accept that earnings are less in the UK when writing about local things.

1. Julie-Ann Amos profile image64
      Julie-Ann Amosposted 14 years agoin reply to this

It's really not that big a barrier.  I'm in the Uk and make 3 figures a month from Amazon with no real effort and very few hubs specifically aimed at Amazon (maybe 6 or so?).  Writing for UK readers would reduce your potential readership by a factor of what - 100 times?  I have no problem writing for the US/global market and it's huge readership and therefore huge click potential!

I do have local pages too and choose specific amazon products available from .com if I WANT to have amazon on there.

I got over the spellings issue VERY early on in my writing career.  A client is a client and they get what they pay for.  So if I want hubtraffic the US spellings win search traffic on google every time - so that's where I aim the bulk of effort.

2. KevCC profile image72
      KevCCposted 14 years agoin reply to this

It's the World Wide Web! I always go for the biggest market. I live in the UK but I've been using the internet for so long I guess I just naturally assume that the USA is the main market. I've always been an affiliate for Amazon.com. Never co.uk. I don't think many people in the UK can spell anyway these days LOL.

19. profile image0

Some results so far.

I really started my Christmas Ebay hubs on September 28. A few days befor KCC started her October Challenge. After she announced her challenge, I decided that I'd do 50 hubs in October and that they would all be geared toward Ebay Christmas sales.

That first September 28 hub is already getting Christmas traffic from google. In the last 24 hours I've gotten 12 Google hits and they've all been from keywords of people looking for Christmas stuff.

So it's definitely not too late (or too early) to be thinking about Christmas. And from what I'm seeing Hubpages is a great place to set up shop for the holidays.

I'm really psyched to get up 50 of these sales hubs before 11/1.

Are you guys with existing Christmas stuff hubs up - already seeing Christmas traffic starting up?

1. earner profile image81
      earnerposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Just a reminder for people reading this - don't feel you've missed out if you weren't ready, aren't ready, are new and still looking around ... once a hub is built it's built - it'll still be there next year and this time next year you could be simply updating and promoting what you write now (whether you're reading this in October 2009, August 2010 ... or even September 2012).

Good luck everybody!

2. profile image0
      girly_girl09posted 14 years agoin reply to this

Thanks for sharing your results, Nelle. I am definitely inspired to try writing more 'Christmas' hubs by the first of next month because of you! Now, if only I can find the time. big_smile

I don't really have Christmas oriented hubs (well, I didn't write them with that intention). But I do have a few gadget and product hubs that would make great Christmas gifts and that traffic has been rising.

I made $42 yesterday on Amazon alone - my highest day yet! The products sold just might have been for Christmas gifts, who knows. If only everyday was like yesterday on Amazon and Adsense, I'd be making over 3k a month in passive income! (A girl can dream!) big_smile

1. profile image0

GG, you're starting to get amazing Amazon results! All that work this summer is really paying off! Don't worry there's school vacation. You'll still sell stuff this Christmas from your hubs. This is really great news.

1. profile image0
          girly_girl09posted 14 years agoin reply to this

Thanks, Nelle! It is super exciting to see residual income months later! Even though I don't have as much time to hub right now, the income continues with little effort as my hubs start to increase in google's and other se's engines. (Still not having any luck with bing lol...any tips?) I get maybe 5 views from Bing a day, out of an average 850 views. According to analytics, those bing visits convert well for adsense. So, I'd love more bing traffic!

20. wrenfrost56 profile image56
    wrenfrost56posted 14 years ago

Thank's Nelle! I hadn't really thought about how christmas would influence my hubs, (but of course it will.) I am going to start brainstorming today! smile

21. waynet profile image68
    waynetposted 14 years ago

That's great Nelle!

I've done a few christmas hubs in the past, but if we can increase them each year, the old ones can be updated and if related linked to the new and old ones that we do.

I like to write product hubpages, especially review type ones on products I've already bought online or offline and this new Ebay quality click pricing is turning out ok for my earnings too

1. profile image0

I don't really know what to make of the Ebay changes and what to expect. My ebay sales were so low prior to the change, I have nothing to compare them too.

22. profile image0

I only get 3 or 4 Bing visitors a a day. Relache has posted that she's getting some good Bing traffic. Yahoo has really been picking up lately, so maybe Bing will be next.

23. profile image0

You're hubs are looking great. I did look at the ones you published yesterday, I ranked them up, didn't have time to comment. Sounds like you'll be getting a great paycheck from Google.

Are you signed up for Ebay. They are paying for clicks just like adsense now. It's quite amazing.

1. Lily Rose profile image87
      Lily Roseposted 14 years agoin reply to this

No I'm not - I tried to sign up when I first joined, but Ebay rejected me.  Should I try again?  Is it not difficult to do ebay-focused hubs when the ebay inventory is constantly changing?

24. profile image0

You're welcome. The Christmas season can be a real financial boost if you prepare for it.

25. profile image0

Take a look at mine. It's pretty easy, once you get the hang of it. Just look for broad groupings of things, so something is always in stock.

1. lrohner profile image69
      lrohnerposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Nelle, I usually pick specific products (and have been doing very well, thank goodness!). Are you saying that I shouldn't be doing that? Do you choose keywords instead of products?

1. profile image0

Lily Rose and I were talking about Ebay Hubs, where the product inventory changes so much. I usually pick specific products on Amazon Hubs.

26. Ladybird33 profile image67
    Ladybird33posted 14 years ago

Nelle, this is wonderful news, I am working on the hub challange,I have several hubs I am working on and will publish during this much for the challange.  So I am thrilled to hear what you just told us.  Thank you.

27. profile image0

You're welcome Ladybird33. I'm glad all this is helpful - looking forward to reading your hubs.

28. livewithrichard profile image72
    livewithrichardposted 14 years ago

I just finished my 15th hub of KCC's October challenge.  All but 3 of them are product hubs.  I'm devoting all the remainder hubs in this challenge to products too.

I was doing an even split between Amazon and Ebay but I'm not getting nearly as many Ebay clicks so now I'm going to do mostly Amazon.  I know the cookie is better with Ebay but no clicks means no money anyway.

1. profile image0

This is true. You gotta go with what's working for you! Regardless, 25 or so new product hubs, are all to the good for the hottest sales season of the year.

29. Jane@CM profile image61
    Jane@CMposted 14 years ago

I just did my first Christmas hub.  I sent you an email Nelle!!

30. profile image0

Jane@CM the Christmas hub looks great.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)