jump to last post 1-7 of 7 discussions (10 posts)

Help some suggestions for car Insurance please.

1. Eaglekiwi profile image74
    Eaglekiwiposted 7 years ago

Cheaper the better wink

1. Lisa HW profile image83
      Lisa HWposted 7 years ago in reply to this

Does Progressive or Geiko deal with your area?  Somehow I know just switched to Geiko and said it's about as cheap as he could find it.  Geiko does everything online, so there's no agent.  An agent can handle the whole thing, including Registry runs for plates, if you want (for a fee).

Look for one that may offer discounts on things like AAA membership, alarm systems, etc.   I don't know how familiar you are with car insurance in the US, but just in case you're not very familiar with it, don't get insurance you don't need.  If the car is new and financed you have to get fire, theft, and collision.  If it's an older car with no financing involved, a lot of people opt for the minimal required insurance.  Find out if the windshield is covered, and decide if you want to pay to get it covered if it isn't.  Other options are things like getting car rentals paid for if anything happens to your car.  A higher deductible can get you cheaper insurance.

2. rmcrayne profile image93
    rmcrayneposted 7 years ago

Sorry, no help here.  I've been with USAA for 20 years (military only).  My brother is with Progressive and my sister is with State Farm.

3. emievil profile image85
    emievilposted 7 years ago

Gosh, sorry can't help you there. But here, we got cheaper insurance because we lowered the carrying value of our car. And we got one as soon as possible because we didn't want to be driving long distances without the insurance backing us up smile.

4. 0
    sarah dawkinsposted 7 years ago

Do you have any shopbots on the internet over there, like moneysupermarket, confused.com, go-compare??  these would give you a break down of many, many insurers and their prices.  Makes it easy to make an informed choice then.
    Good luck with the looking.

5. Eaglekiwi profile image74
    Eaglekiwiposted 7 years ago

Thanks guys for your input.

@Lisa , appreciate your informative and helpful answer Lisa ,actually Im completely in the dark re most Insurance Companys in the states ( In New Zealand it is advised but you do not have too have any Insurance)
    Its my hubby, whose having problems and hes the American.
    He is getting very hot under the collar right now ,because they (Geico and Progressive) are quoting surcharges and hiking the price up ,because hes been outta the country (his) for 4 yrs !
    And since I hold a NZ license ,premiums also go up! greedy indeed.

Hes wising up now  wink and Im making lots of coffee and offerings soft words to keep the volume levels down lol
    ( oops just called the rep a nasty name)...

@ Sarah , hey thanks I checked out that site and yea it is a British one, but found a sister company online thanks for that! smile

Emi!!! youre 100 ,awww Im so proud of you , so deserved my friend !!! smile

@rmcrayne Thanks for the info ,it all helps. State Farms next on hubbys list ( if he dont lose the plot by then ) smile

6. emievil profile image85
    emievilposted 7 years ago

Thanks EK. Good luck with getting an insurance. That's a beautiful avatar by the way smile.

Eaglekiwiposted 7 years ago in reply to this

Thanks EM , looks like Im driving huh lol they all drive on the wrong side of the road here lol

7. Misha profile image75
    Mishaposted 7 years ago

These guys likely will give you best quotes around. InsureMe . They are not spam or scam, they are real. smile

In my experience, Progressive and Geico like to talk about low prices, but in reality they are more expensive then others. I personally use Esurance.

Eaglekiwiposted 7 years ago in reply to this

Hey cool thankyou Misha and yep we (or he) definately is NOT impressed with some of 'em...

He just got done talkin to Esurance ,so fingers crossed wink