jump to last post 1-5 of 5 discussions (7 posts)

Keyword search tool?

1. Jane@CM profile image60
    Jane@CMposted 7 years ago

Is there any tool out that can search a document for keywords?  My hubby is trying to find a job, the HR gurus say that the resume should match the job posting by keywords, as that is how most companies search resumes (by keywords).  I'm trying to figure out if I can take a job posting and search it for keywords.  Any thoughts?

2. brad4l profile image82
    brad4lposted 7 years ago

If you do a Google search for something like 'keyword analysis,' you will find a number of sites that analyze what words are used and how frequently. Basically, it is just looking for patterns and frequency count.

However, to really be effective a keyword analysis tool needs a good sized sample, probably more than most job postings have.

Instead of going that route, it seems that, especially for something like submitting a resume, a more personal approach would be more effective.

If it were me, I would carefully read each job posting before applying and try to make sure that I fit in some of the requirements and job description into my resume, being careful not to go overboard to the extent that you end up keyword stuffing your resume...

3. Jane@CM profile image60
    Jane@CMposted 7 years ago

Thank you!  Most of the job postings are at least a page long.  He does modify his resume & cover letter for different positions.

I'll go check Google and see what I come up with.

4. frogdropping profile image83
    frogdroppingposted 7 years ago

Jane you can use firefox to highlight keywords on a page - providing you know what the keywords are. Usually something in the title or the title itself.

Do you have the page? You can email it if you'd prefer.

1. Jane@CM profile image60
      Jane@CMposted 7 years ago in reply to this

Thanks!  He is on the other computer so I can't access any job postings at the moment.  I'll research this though...cool idea.

I never thought of using adwords keyword tool either.

With the competition for his type of work, he has got to utilize the keywords, as most HR reps just search for keywords.

One of the guys in his outplacement group actually puts the keywords from the job posting on the bottom of his resume, changes them to a #2 font & the color to white.  My hubby doesn't think its ethical.

I love you guys!

1. deartfuldodger profile image60
        deartfuldodgerposted 7 years ago in reply to this

Convince him otherwise, that is a Very clever solution, an employer should appreciate that type of ingenuity. I would hire that guy! Unfortunately, I  pay 2/hr to outsourcers so he probably wouldnt be interested

The ethics in question are that we now live in a world where a measly little HR guy thinks he is to important to hand read a resume

5. deartfuldodger profile image60
    deartfuldodgerposted 7 years ago

Most SEo tools for firefox have a built in keyword density tool, you could also just go to the adowrds keyword tool and insert the job postings url.

That will work just fine for your purposes.

Best 'o luck!