jump to last post 1-6 of 6 discussions (9 posts)

Content Links vs Capsule Links?

1. belief713 profile image79
    belief713posted 8 years ago

What is the difference between using the two?
    Does it make a difference to the google spiders?
    Or a difference to how our pages are scored?

2. relache profile image87
    relacheposted 8 years ago

I know that someone from the HubTeam once cautioned against making too many content links, but now I can't find that thread.

And I've been on such a good roll for doing that lately....darn...

1. belief713 profile image79
      belief713posted 8 years ago in reply to this

I will see if I can find it.... so does anyone know if there is any difference in using 1 vs. the other?

3. ysdata profile image58
    ysdataposted 8 years ago

I don't think there is a difference.  In a recent email I was told it's where it points to.  There shouldn't be more than three links pointing to the same source.

1. spuds profile image22
      spudsposted 8 years ago in reply to this

I too am not sure if there is a difference. Yes Hubpages do not like lots of links to external sites on a hub.

1. Lissie profile image86
        Lissieposted 8 years ago in reply to this

Not quite spuds HP don't link lots of link the same  site - Flagships hubs have a requirement of a minimum of 10 links to external sites

4. belief713 profile image79

I thought I remembered reading somewhere that links in the content or text capsule of hubs are not as powerful, or have no tracing, as opposed to links using the links capsule. Now, I can't find where I read that.
    Does this ring a bell to anyone?

5. belief713 profile image79
  6. pauldeeds profile image
    pauldeedsposted 8 years ago

At the moment there is no material difference between links in a link capsule and links in the text itself.

It is true that too many links to the same site or sites can affect your scores, both on one hub, or across all your hubs.  We would prefer that hubs be unbiased and provide links to the best resources on the web.  If your agenda is to promote other sites (especially sites of dubious value), unless you are very careful about it you will probably run across one or more of these: 1) your scores will be reduced and many or all of your links will be nofollow, 2) your hubs will be moderated as "overly promotional" and unpublished until repaired, 3) you will be identified as a problem author and all new hubs will have to be reviewed before being published, and finally 4) you will be permanently banned and all hubs unpublished.

It's safe to say that we are not happy when our time is used up moderating hubs (instead of creating new features) and we are becoming increasingly intolerant of abuse.  There is a pretty good discussion of what is allowed in the FAQ.  If you have questions about something in particular, you can always email us or post in the forums for clarification -- please do so before you publish the hub.

If you put general links to your blog or other sites on your profile page, and occasionally put a link or two into your hubs where it is relevant and appropriate you should be fine.  If you create quality content and don't go overboard with links you shouldn't run into much trouble.