jump to last post 1-17 of 17 discussions (25 posts)

Hell has no fury like a woman scorned

1. 0
    Sarra Garrettposted 7 years ago

What is the association of Hell and woman??? Is it because Eve ate the apple???

2. Helen Cater profile image60
    Helen Caterposted 7 years ago

Could be from Cleopatra too. Boy that women was furious for sure.

1. 0
      Sarra Garrettposted 7 years ago in reply to this

Yes she was!

3. wesleycox profile image82
    wesleycoxposted 7 years ago

This is an interesting question, never thought of it before.  I like the saying though.

4. RedSonja94 profile image61
    RedSonja94posted 7 years ago

I think it's because women tend to get even if they are scorned.  Men tend to let it slide.  Women can be vicious creatures at the best of times.

1. 0
      cosetteposted 7 years ago in reply to this

that's interesting. in my experience, it is usually the man who gets all nasty and obbsessive when you end it. the few times someone ended it with me, i let it go....who wants someone who doesn't want you? i cried them out, then found someone better!

Tom Petty and the Heartbreakers - You Got Lucky

1. Lisa HW profile image85
        Lisa HWposted 7 years ago in reply to this

My observations have been the same as yours.  As far as I've ever seen, women get hurt or angry or both - and then just go with it and move on.  Men seem to run on a spectrum in the "being scorned"/"being wronged" departments:  The spectrum runs from obsessive on up to "all nasty" and, in some cases, extremely, extremely, ugly and sometimes dangerous.

5. 0
    ralwusposted 7 years ago

Education is an admirable thing, but it does one well to remember from time to time that nothing that is worth knowing can be taught. Who can really know the hearts of women? And how can a woman be expected to be happy with a man who insists on treating her as if she were a perfectly normal human being. I have seen hell in the eyes of a woman, felt her wrath. Still, I love her. I  also think that God, in creating man, somewhat overestimated his ability.smile

1. amy jane profile image84
      amy janeposted 7 years ago in reply to this

Ah, the truest words I've read today. smile

6. 0
    sneakorocksolidposted 7 years ago

I think the statement reflects mens temptation to believe women are weak. They may not match up physically but they got the mental part down real well!

7. Aya Katz profile image90
    Aya Katzposted 7 years ago

This is a statement about how there is a double standard for men and women when it comes to showing an interest in the opposite sex.

"A woman scorned" means a woman who was sexually interested in a man who didn't reciprocate.

It happens all the time that men show an interest in a woman, and she declines their advances. Because men are "supposed to be" the aggressors, they supposedly take this rejection in their stride and try again (with the same woman or another one).

Women, on the other hand, when they do dare to initiate are said to take it badly when the man declines.

8. kirstenblog profile image78
    kirstenblogposted 7 years ago

I always thought this was a way of conveying that women contrary to the fairer sex theory, can actually be very vicious indeed. Through out the animal kingdom and including us, when a mothers babies are threatened the mother will fight with selfless viciousness to the death. I am no timid wilting flower and when someone I care about, who are vulnerable I feel no mercy for the abuser. Someone tries something on my kids (even just the ones at my school) and I am in a position to stop it I will stop at nothing to do so. There are certain things that are just not on.

Men have the reputation for being aggressive as the hunters in society, its no surprise when they are aggressive. It should not really be so surprising when a woman is able to display a little wrath tongue.

1. Aya Katz profile image90
      Aya Katzposted 7 years ago in reply to this

What you are describing here is more like: "The female of the species is more deadly than the male" (Kipling). But there is a world of difference between a woman "wronged" and a woman "scorned".

9. Aya Katz profile image90
    Aya Katzposted 7 years ago

Lisa HW, are you making the distinction between "wronged" and "scorned"? I think it is an important point if we want to understand the original quote.

Both men and women can be wronged. But have you ever heard the expression "a man scorned"?

1. Lisa HW profile image85
      Lisa HWposted 7 years ago in reply to this

Aya, if I haven't it may only be because nobody created a famous saying about it.   lol   Men are scorned, as well as women; and I almost think men are more likely to feel scorned even when they aren't.  Not that this is an example that covers "the main general public"; but an example might be the many abusive husbands (abusive in varying degrees) who feel "wronged", "disrespected", or "scorned" when there's too much pasta sauce on his ziti or - more sobering - when his wife or girlfriend decides she doesn't have to "take this" any more and leaves.   I wasn't really defining "wronged" as only "scorned", but manyh people's being "wronged" is perceived as being "scorned".   

I really think "the world" is more ready to "scorn" women for one thing or another; but men do get scorned (real or imagined) too.

Even if someone wants to narrow down the definition of "scorn" as it was originally intended in that saying (rather than taking a more general view of the saying, which many people do), I don't necessarily think men are always all that gracious when rejected.

1. Aya Katz profile image90
        Aya Katzposted 7 years ago in reply to this

Come to think of it, maybe the gender neutral way to say it is "a spurned lover". The semantic distinction between that and "a wronged spouse", though, is that in the first case the relationship is incipient or impermanent and therefore neither party has any "proprietary rights" in the relationship. The wronged spouse, on the other hand, has legal rights.

10. shamelabboush profile image57
    shamelabboushposted 7 years ago

Women get even when they're pissed off! They have brilliant minds if used for plotting. I mean it in a good way but the guy who's there when they're scorned is very much unfortunate and unlucky... Please don't hate us! We love you smile

11. patful profile image60
    patfulposted 7 years ago

I think the original question involved whether women were associated with the environment of hell.To my mind, that was not the point. It's women's fury, anger, desire for revenge when hurt by the men they care for that is worse than the horrors of hell. Men, when offended by other men, can use physical means--a punch in the mouth--to express anger. Women are far subtler. To the scorned woman, a punch in the mouth is far from adequate. She can use her words (like a very sharp sword) to slice and dice the man who injured her. But that's not all. She can plot, scheme, spread rumors (both true and false) about the cad and make his life hell in a thousand ways. Men punch it out and go on from there. Women can neither forgive NOR forget. And that's where their ability to create a hell for a man comes in.

12. 0
    ralwusposted 7 years ago

patful, you are so correct. And a woman serial killer it is proven is able to get away with for a longer time than most men serial killers before ever being found out. Some never are. scary, sneaky too wink

13. aware profile image71
    awareposted 7 years ago

they just dont make women like they use to .thanks alot roe vrs wade way to go youve came along way baby.

1. Ron Montgomery profile image61
      Ron Montgomeryposted 7 years ago in reply to this

The barefoot pregnant ones who knew their place were much easier to subjugate.  Ah the good ole days..........

14. Uninvited Writer profile image82
    Uninvited Writerposted 7 years ago

Gets out the popcorn...

15. 0
    ralwusposted 7 years ago

Good, you must be feeling better? Hi UW

16. Uninvited Writer profile image82
    Uninvited Writerposted 7 years ago

I'm slightly better. Thanks smile

17. Ivorwen profile image82
    Ivorwenposted 7 years ago

I've often heard the expression use by women who intend to get revenge, as a way of saying, "You will wish you where in hell by the time I get through with you!"