jump to last post 1-5 of 5 discussions (6 posts)

Possibly posting a copyright notice in your hubs

1. Daniel Carter profile image90
    Daniel Carterposted 7 years ago

Since we've encountered this nightmare of having thousands of our hubs pirated and posted in other places on the web, I've decided to post a copyright notice in my hubs. While hubpages says that our works are copyrighted, it may be wise to actually post a notice. There are arguments for and against this, but overall I think it's fair to put people on notice that they shouldn't assume our work is public domain.

If you decide to post a notice in your hubs, this is what I suggest:

The legal copyright notice, followed by the year of creation and/or publication and then the copyright owner (probably your a name. I don't know about the legal implications of using a username.) So it would look like this:

© 2009 by John and Jane Doe. All rights reserved. Copying without permission is illegal and will be prosecuted.

There are probably quite a few among us who have lots of experience with the legalities of intellectual copyrights, and I hope you'll post here and give some input. There are issues of perhaps what types of works should have a notice, and perhaps we might create works where no notice may be in our better interest.

I've created some songs which I allow to be photocopied for noncommericial, incidental home and educational use, and so that notice follows the copyright notice. You allow people to photocopy, but you don't allow them to turn around and make money on your work, when you give it gratis.

Thoughts, experience, ideas, and input welcome. I think it would be good to sort through this together.

2. Uninvited Writer profile image82
    Uninvited Writerposted 7 years ago

Well, all my cholesterol hubs have a copyright notice and they were all stolen by this person. But that notice is only a link to Creative Commons, maybe like you suggested would make a difference to some people.

3. Whitney05 profile image70
    Whitney05posted 7 years ago

This has been suggested and the team decided against it because  there's a copyright notice at the bottom of the page already.

1. Daniel Carter profile image90
      Daniel Carterposted 7 years ago in reply to this

Then I suppose we could end the thread here. I'm fine with that. Just throwing out ideas.

4. kirstenblog profile image78
    kirstenblogposted 7 years ago

This could potentially be an automatic type of thing as a capsule to have right at the bottom. This would make it easy for us to add if we wanted to and if you don't want thats easy too! What do you guys think? Would you use it if there were a copy-write capsule?

5. Whitney05 profile image70
    Whitney05posted 7 years ago

Many people type their own copyright. You could do that at the bottom or beginning or where ever you want in the hub.