jump to last post 1-9 of 9 discussions (10 posts)

Where do people get their pictures from?

1. The Indexer profile image80
    The Indexerposted 8 years ago

I have published two hubs in which I used photos that I took myself, but I have seen many other hubs in which it is hard to imagine that the author was also the originator of the pictures included with the text.

Surely, to download a picture from another site is a breach of copyright? So where are people getting these pictures from if they are not breaking copyright rules?

2. sevenGEIN profile image60
    sevenGEINposted 8 years ago

I'd prefer to use my own photos.

3. bloggerdollar profile image45
    bloggerdollarposted 8 years ago

Most of those images are under public domain meaning not under any license protection.

1. The Indexer profile image80
      The Indexerposted 8 years ago in reply to this

Can you tell which images are public domain and which are not, before you use them?

4. trakker14 profile image61
    trakker14posted 8 years ago

Pictures posted on public domains are usually up for grabs just rt click on them and save to your document.

5. chantelg4 profile image81
    chantelg4posted 8 years ago

If you prefer somehting with a licence attached to it you can search in yahoo creative commons and flickr. Or pay. I've used photostock a few times and it's really cheap, $1 per photo for hubpage type photos. Hope this helps

6. StefanMDP profile image66
    StefanMDPposted 8 years ago
  7. The Indexer profile image80
    The Indexerposted 8 years ago

Thanks for your suggestions, guys!

8. chabrenas profile image60
    chabrenasposted 8 years ago

Certainly grabbing a copy of an image is less likely to annoy the owner than posting a link to an image on a host whose bandwidth he is paying for (a friend of mine delights in getting his revenge by replacing the linked-to image with something wicked), but it is good netiquette to:

- give credit to the source. Say where it originated, and post a link to the site
    - better still, contact the owner if you can and ask if he minds you using it in return for credits and a link.

Don't forget that the image you found may already be in breach of copyright. Plenty of stuff on the net is plagiarised from other sources.

On balance, I prefer to search for 'public domain images', or 'free images'. Note that 'royalty free' doesn't mean free, it means a one-time charge for unlimited use. 

I use my own images whenever I can.

9. sevenGEIN profile image60
    sevenGEINposted 8 years ago

I know that I'd prefer to be contacted first so I know where all my bandwidth is going =]

So its definately a good idea. Most people agree to it, and its humbling to see people asking to use your photos ^_^

chantelg4, are you using photos from Dreamstime? Because I know they're $1 each. Just curious.