jump to last post 1-5 of 5 discussions (7 posts)

Write like you speak with the listener in mind

1. Artin2010 profile image79
    Artin2010posted 7 years ago

Hello everyone in hubland, hubville. Just wanted to say that someone, no names to mention, told me that I should write my hubs in the same manner as if I were having a conversation with someone. This kind of makes good sense to me, however it will not work with every topic, that one would choose to write on.
    In the how to ----- written hubs, it's more like a getting directly to the point, such as the steps and procedures necessary to write how to hubs. There are many good ideas here about improving your hub writing and being more creative. Another hint idea I caught recently was adding more pictures, and videos, a link or two maybe. It's always good to use a little humor whenever appropriate. Anyone want to jump in and add advice, I am glad you can offer. Sometimes writers block sets in and it is impossible to get the point written. Take a few minutes to breath and relax and see if you can get the mindset and re-focus. Thats about all I can offer right now. Thanks for letting me share thoughts! Have a great experience as you create and write people.Wish you success and lots of fans!

1. kmackey32 profile image81
      kmackey32posted 7 years ago in reply to this

I think I have writers block right now. smile

2. Gemsong profile image84
    Gemsongposted 7 years ago

Unfortunately I speak in fragments. My spell checker hates me. smile

3. Lisa HW profile image82
    Lisa HWposted 7 years ago

I write in the same voice I speak in, but it comes out a lot friendlier sounding in actual conversation than in my writing.  In all but the most serious writing I try to make it a point to "soften" the written words/tone when possible.

4. 0
    PJ_Deneenposted 7 years ago

This is a good tip.  I've read that other writers will read their work out loud to see how it flows.  I thought I might give that a try too.

5. 0
    Crazdwriterposted 7 years ago

I DON"T write in the same voice that I speak in because my imagination won't allow that. If I wrote the way I speak then my stories wouldn't be very descriptive or fun. So I allow my imagination do the writing when I write. writing with the same voice as you speak doesn't always work.

1. R.Edwards profile image78
      R.Edwardsposted 7 years ago in reply to this

ehhh, different strokes for different folks. I've always spoke my poems, short stories (and now) hubs out loud! If I just write without reading back my imagination takes over and I'm just all over the place.

There has to be a rhythm to my work, like a poem...a direction in where I want the topic to travel.

I act as if I'm in front of a class or audience reading my material...practicing pitch and deliverence the whole time.

but like I said...different strokes for different folks.