jump to last post 1-5 of 5 discussions (8 posts)

Need advice from other freelance writers

1. Susana S profile image92
    Susana Sposted 7 years ago

Hi Guys n Gals,
    I just won my first job on Elance - yippee! It is as a long term blog writer. I gave my price per blog post which is fine, but the hirer has asked if, for an extra fee, i would also create and promote the blog - submit to blog directories, get backlinks etc. Basically do everything I would do if it was my own blog.

I don't have a clue what to charge her for this extra work - any thoughts/advice?

Thank you smile

1. sunforged profile image64
      sunforgedposted 7 years ago in reply to this

at least as much as you are getting per post/ double the current fee.

eventually try to work in a profit share

thats what i do for my ghostwriters and they barely can write in legible english!

2. emievil profile image85
      emievilposted 7 years ago in reply to this

Hey congrats! I have a similar job but I don't do the backlinks. Sorry, have no idea how so can't help you there. smile but it's nice to get the job smile.

2. Jane Dee Summers profile image58
    Jane Dee Summersposted 7 years ago

Hi SS,

Congrats. My suggestion would be to get a percentage of the traffic you drive to these/this blog.

It's all about traffic, the more traffic the more advertising. When they get advertisers to take space on their map, the rate would be the amount of clicks you have created for them. The rate is according to the amount of traffic they get. So think about it!

3. Susana S profile image92

Thanks to each one of you for your helpful responses smile

Hadn't thought about profit sharing or charging for traffic generation. Hmmmm, will have to give this more thought for sure!

I was thinking about charging a flat fee for creating the blog from scratch. It would take me a day or two depending on what kind of look she wants and what platform she wants it on.

Then I might think about doubling the per post fee to cover the time for promotion.

Plus a price per click to her main site...? Just thinking and writing here as I go. How would I know how many clicks I generated to her site?

1. sunforged profile image64
      sunforgedposted 7 years ago in reply to this

even you completely managed the site there are dozens of plug-ins and addons intended for click traffic tracking, when your at that point I can send you the top contenders for wordpress.

4. 0
    Sarra Garrettposted 7 years ago

Be careful of Elance.  I had nothing but bad luck with them to include people who wanted to "hire me off Elance".  Just beware - Best of luck

5. Susana S profile image92

Thanks artful - I will.

I will be careful Sarra! Thanks for your advice smile

working