Firefox browser

Jump to Last Post 1-31 of 31 discussions (38 posts)
  1. frogdropping profile image77
    frogdroppingposted 14 years ago

I would like to make more use of firefox. I have installed it twice now, in the hope that A) it stops turning headings on every page I surf pink and B) I can actually get to use some of the plug-ins.

Does anyone know how the browser works? Obviously I don't. or I do but I've done something horribly wrong somewhere.

1. sunforged profile image70
      sunforgedposted 14 years agoin reply to this

http://hubpages.com/hub/Maximizing-the- … ent-minded

http://hubpages.com/hub/10-indispensabl … -and-blogs

Its kind of a big question, you absolutely should be using firefox.
      I dont get what your current issue is - pink headings? firefox will work on any pc that is running any other browser - sometimes brand new updates are a little buggy, but that is usually re4solved ina aday or two

2. frogdropping profile image77

Yes pink headings. I'll take a screen shot. Maybe I've got a girly firefox? It drives me nuts, it looks all wrong.

Thanks for the links - I'll go read.

3. Aware1 profile image60
    Aware1posted 14 years ago

Hi, I just started using Firefox and it rocks! Though I am just learning things about it. There is a super amount of help with setting yourself up in a challenge that Eric G. had recommended. there are video''s to help with setting up your firefox and adding plugin's. They also help with which are best. You can find it all at.

http://www.thirtydaychallenge.com/

I am so grateful to Eric for suggesting it! I am sure it will help me be a better hubber as well! Good Luck. big_smile

4. sunforged profile image70
    sunforgedposted 14 years ago

the 30dc challenge is useful, they go a little overboard with add=on sometimes, but I havent checked it out this year, so perhaps they got little more realistic

5. frogdropping profile image77

Been reading and I'm missing a file extension XPI. Wonderful. what is it that I don't have? Maybe that's why, when I try downloading firefox add ons, that they don't work?

Thankyou again smile

1. sunforged profile image70

an  xpi is how the add-on is stored/installed

are you getting an error msssge? as that would be the best to work from

xpi=add-on

6. frogdropping profile image77

Yes. It's in portuguese. Let me just go generate it again, so I can read and translate-ish.

7. frogdropping profile image77

O windows não consegue localizar http://xxxx etc
    Certifique-se de que escreveu o nome correctamente e em seguida tente de novo

Which means something along the lines of 'windows cannot find the location of (the url). Certify (make sure) that it is the correct address (url name) and then try again'

I think hmm

8. sunforged profile image70

and why are you using a portuguese install?

http://www.mozilla.com/en-US/firefox/upgrade.html

your error message unfortunately is generic, you received it when doing what?

9. frogdropping profile image77

I don't 'use' the install, it's default. I'm in Lisbon, bought my laptop here. It thinks I'm as portuguese as it is.

I when to d/load an add-on, following instructions from one of your hubs. I fell foul as soon as it was time to open it. That's the error message.

1. Sufidreamer profile image78
      Sufidreamerposted 14 years agoin reply to this

FD - you should still be able to install an English version - my notebook is Greek OS, but I installed Firefox in English. Not sure whether you need to uninstall/reinstall, or change it within the programme.

As for the pink headings, do you have the SEO for Firefox add on?

2. sunforged profile image70

Sufi, is right, seo for firefox will highlight all nofollow links as red (pink) ..its annoying but can be turned off very easily, which plug-in is the problem?

as for changing the language, isnt hard smile

Try Edit > Preferences > Advanced > Edit Language

Its very possible that a plug in has been moved, that hub is almost exactly ayear old, it is one of my firsts

since Hubs penalized me for having to many links to the same domains (mozilla.addons) I had to dig up other locations that could be outdated, ill give you the freshest link and fix teh hub if you tell me which one is the issue

10. frogdropping profile image77

Oh sufi I fiddled with firefox. I have been reading sunforges hubs and messing. I've lost the pink headings, though unsure what I've done.

Not sure about the seo add on. I'll check.

Thankyou sunforged and sufi - smile

11. sunforged profile image70

if you go to Tools>add-ons   you can see a list of what you have installed

12. lrohner profile image68
    lrohnerposted 14 years ago

What version of Firefox are you using? I just saw somewhere that in one of the beta versions (I think 4.1), when you used the Find command (Ctrl + f) it would highlight all of those instances of the word or phrase an ugly pink but then wouldn't turn it off.

13. sunforged profile image70

i included a link to the latest FF which is 3.5

14. frogdropping profile image77

Sunforged - I can't find the language thingy. Checked in tools etc.

Add on - smartfox, better privacy, rank checker, search status, microsoft .net framework assistance, mcafee, google gears, dna, brief. No idea what works, if any are actually enabled, other than rank check doesn't work at all.

lrohner - no idea I'm a ff noob. smile

Fine with IE. But only just started with firefox and seem to have buggered it up.

Thankyou all again smile

15. deartfuldodger profile image60
    deartfuldodgerposted 14 years ago

The language is there for sure.

EDIT (not tools)
    Preferences
    Advanced

Languages --> Choose

16. frogdropping profile image77

dodger ... it probably is. But i'm not finding it. Edit just displays the same stuff as word - as in select all etc. No preferences.

I've broken it hmm

17. deartfuldodger profile image60

Rank Checker rarely seems to work for me either, so if its not working, disable it

Actually, if your not purpsoely using those, disable them all. and systematically enable as you decide you want it.

If you see odd behavior, disable the latest plug in

You most def dont need DNA ! its used for Bit Torrent downloading, do you share the PC with any teenagers?

http://www.dslreports.com/forum/r230001 … lled-Weird

18. frogdropping profile image77

dodger - nope, don't use it. I didn't know what it was for or even why it's there. I will have done what I always do when I get my hands on something new. I follow the instructions like a robot.

I did that when I joined hubpages. Didn't understand any of it but I still religiously did everything the HP guide said I should.

Oh and no teens here smile

1. deartfuldodger profile image60
      deartfuldodgerposted 14 years agoin reply to this

disable all of them, its a very odd collection of plug-ins- esp the .net framework extension combined with better privacy!

Then you should have no issue playing with the new plug ins from the sunforged hub

19. deartfuldodger profile image60

very weird about Preferences, there really is no preferences option at the very,very bottom of teh edit tab?

heres the long way

open a new tab (ctrl + T)

type            about:config          into address bar

a special customization screen comes up

put this into the filter

general.useragent.locale

double-click on the entry and change its value into
    > "en-US" or "en-UK".

20. lrohner profile image68
    lrohnerposted 14 years ago

SearchStatus is the culprit, I would bet. Both the SEO and SearchStatus addins allow you to set an option to highlight NoFollow links, and the default color for both is an ugly hot pink. Just disable, uninstall or change the options for SearchStatus and you should be good to go.

21. frogdropping profile image77

dodger, a screenshot type thing

http://i666.photobucket.com/albums/vv22/frogdropping/ff1-1.jpg?t=1255524848

You can see what's in the edit facility and also that the config thing doesn't appear to work.

But isn't it in english anyway? It's error messages that appear in english. Or should everything be in english?

22. Sufidreamer profile image78
    Sufidreamerposted 14 years ago

FrogD - I am not getting edit > preferences either. Not sure why!

You might be best reinstalling it - you can download the British English version from here: http://www.mozilla.com/en-US/firefox/all.html

Maybe they decided to streamline it in the newer version and do away with the language changing functions! smile

EDIT: If I remember rightly (I am not on the notebook at the moment so cannot check), error messages (e.g this page cannot be found etc.) still come up in Greek, even though I have English Language Firefox.

23. frogdropping profile image77

Sufi ta! I feel a little less ff stoopid now. I really want to use it. It's sat here, drives me nuts, won't play ball (or maybe it's me?) and I know there's a wealth of cool tools available - if I could find out what's wrong.

Like I keep being told to install flashplayer. I do so yet I can never actually use it. It won't 'stick'. But in IE I have no problems with sites that use the software.

I will uninstall and reinstall. But first I have to go to the bank and twist my mouth round some portuguese I don't actually know. Should be fun for whoever is in the bank. They always stand and listen, they think it's cute when someone murders their language neutral

1. Sufidreamer profile image78
      Sufidreamerposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Know exactly what you mean - I am systematically murdering the Greek language! They listen patiently and then find a staff member who speaks Greeklish big_smile

24. deartfuldodger profile image60

hmmm, well the long version would still work, but it doesnt seem to matter, your tabs are english- i dont think that would change your error messages anhyway, the message prob just assumes by IP a language to display.

Do you actually have any issues still?

as for the pref thing, im on a linux based netbook, using an older FF, Ill go into my office ( Ishould be working anyway!) and see how updated FF looks

25. profile image0
    bloodnlatexposted 14 years ago

There are no problems too big, only hammers too small....

26. profile image0
    Pacal Votanposted 14 years ago

Frog - you should leave the language issue alone, because it's not firefox related. I can see on the screen-shot that you are using an English version.

If I get it right you only have a problem with certain add-ons. If you tell us an example add-on that you installed and didn't work someone might be able to help solve these problems.

27. Jane@CM profile image59
    Jane@CMposted 14 years ago

Try this, go to Firefox, left click on the Firefox icon and you will get a properties box.

Firefox add-ons - go to "Tools" and click on "options" then on the bottom of the page you will see "manage add ons" - for me I'd start over and delete all the add ons you have.  Just my 2 cents smile

28. gamergirl profile image85
    gamergirlposted 14 years ago

The Language option for firefox is in:

Tools
    Options
    Content

at the bottom of the content tab is your Languages function. smile

<3 Froggie!

29. deartfuldodger profile image60

she is at the bank
    ... and the language issue is not an issue

1. frogdropping profile image77
      frogdroppingposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Gosh you're good dodge! I must join your fan club and see what you write about smile

30. frogdropping profile image77

Back - ryans thread caught my eye, had to stop by and say something smile

And so - GG thankyou! I will give that a go right now.

BnL - I don't know if you look better or worse wink

Jane thankyou - I'm actually learning as I go here.

Pacal - ahhhh ok. I wondered if I had the english version but the error message would always be portuguese. I said earlier and so TY smile

Dodger - I'm still largely unsure how the heck it all works but sunforges hubs are very good and every time I go back, i rate them back up. He may end up and 150 for them at this rate!

Sufi - honestly I bloody ripped my tongue up as usual and started to sweat. Five minutes or so in the guy said 'fala inglês?'. He didn't speak it that well but as you will know, we managed the 'portuglish' version of greekish big_smile

And everyone - specially sunforged and dodger, thankyou for your patience, I really do appreciate it.

31. sunforged profile image70

Im glad the hub is helping, I really spent about 11 hours on the one with the videos, I had never done screen capture before or uploaded to youtube or split a video for uploading to youtube.

I just watched it for the first time in 6 months and  now i just think its embarassing, plus my firefox usage has evolved.

seo for firefox. keyword spy (ppc web spy), firebug and webdevelopers toolbar are my mainstays now.. but i stand by those past add-ons as being strong additions for power users and making web time more efficient

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)