jump to last post 1-6 of 6 discussions (8 posts)

Question about Googling for stolen Hubs

1. Lisa HW profile image82
    Lisa HWposted 7 years ago

I just took the first two lines (not including the sub-title) from my Hub; used quotes, and did a Google search.

One thing that showed up was my own Hub.  Then some other person's Hub, didn't title, showed up with a different URL (naturally), but my quoted lines with his title, URL, link, etc. 

Does anyone know why that kind of thing would happen?  When I clicked on the URL it brought me to his Hub, where I saw no sign of anything from my Hub in his brief Hub.

1. rebekahELLE profile image92
      rebekahELLEposted 7 years ago in reply to this

hmmm, strange. I searched my titles today and found the exact same title underneath mine and it was on tweetme. by someone who had lifted other hubs to tweet. I was reporting it and saw that the account had been closed for 'strange' activity.

2. KCC Big Country profile image82
      KCC Big Countryposted 7 years ago in reply to this

I found some lines of my text showing up in another hubber's hub and went there and at first didn't see it.  On one occasion it was in an RSS feed and that feed changes. At the time it was indexed I was in it.  Another time, someone had a link to my hub and what was showing was the first couple of lines of my text in that link. 

I guess what we have to remember from the time things are indexed until we see them by clicking on them things can change. (RSS Feed and deleting a link that had been there).

2. mcbean profile image84
    mcbeanposted 7 years ago

this often happens when google show text from one of the category pages on hubpages.com.

E.g. if your hub was about pets, it will show small amounts of text from numerous hubs lifted from the pets category on HP.

3. rumbling profile image36
    rumblingposted 7 years ago

Hmm a bit strange , maybe its a double listing in Google

4. thranax profile image59
    thranaxposted 7 years ago

Most of the time its because of an RSS feed on there page. It also depends on how specific your lines are. I normally take the 2-3 most original lines possible I can on the subject. Often from the middle of my article that rarely says anything about the topic at all. I do this because if you take these lines:

"An Apple a Day keeps the Doctor away. 5 A Day Fruit"

There is a good chance over 20 sites will come up. But if you take:

"Well I predominantly talk about it. I know rice patties can be round, but so can a potato."

There is a dam good chance none of that is said by anyone else online, therefore proving that indeed what I find if not mine is most likely copied.

5. sunforged profile image66
    sunforgedposted 7 years ago

lol, stop checking the first lines of your hubs, the will show up in all sorts of promo ways, teasers, rss, link summaries.

Check after the first 250 words

6. Lisa HW profile image82
    Lisa HWposted 7 years ago

Thanks, everyone.  I'll probably not figure it out, but as long as nobody thinks it's reason for concern....   smile