jump to last post 1-5 of 5 discussions (7 posts)

How does the new FTC regulation affect our hubs?

1. Abs Machine profile image60
    Abs Machineposted 7 years ago

Hi there,

I understand that according to the new FTC regulations, you need to disclose any relationship you have with a product about you blog. You also need to disclose if you receive any kind of monetary compensation, commission, etc.

Many of us have Google Adsense activated for our hubs, and maybe even some links to Amazon or Ebay on which we could earn a commission. So do we need to disclose in our hubs that we obtain commissions for readers who click through? Is there any "standard" disclosure that we could just copy and paste?

1. darkside profile image85
      darksideposted 7 years ago in reply to this

The relationship that needs to be disclosed is if you have received cash or free product for doing a review. It's not about commission or revenue on sales.

Google Adsense are ads. They're not pretending to be the publishers endorsement.

2. Pearldiver profile image87
    Pearldiverposted 7 years ago

If you are going to review product; you are expected to do so from a neutral position. (eg: Not have a vested interest in that product). 
    If you have a vested interest in the product or are paid for your involvement with that product, you are expected to declare that interest.
    I think it is a really good idea.
    I also think it is a good idea to own the product that you are talking about; and in that respect give a user's perspective!

3. New York Life profile image61
    New York Lifeposted 7 years ago

Remember to keep in mind how incredibly unlikely it is that the FTC will have much luck enforcing these new regulations

They will most likely be attacking the advertisers who benefit from the deceptive practices and in return many advertsiers will prob start including increased regulations on their partner websites

read the discussion from teh level of bloggers/marketers who will actuall be affected

http://www.shoemoney.com/2009/10/08/wha … disclosure

4. Abs Machine profile image60

I totally agree and on all my sites I give honest information.

The objective of my question is not to find out whether there are ways around this legislation, I want to abide 100%, I only want to understand what I need to do.

For example, it could be argued that if you talk about a certain category of products (as in my case are Abs Machines) and then below you have links to Amazon products (where you earn a commission on the sale), you might have a conflict of interest (i.e. a temptation to talk positively about the products in order to increase sales and thus your commission) and therefore would need to disclose it.

(by the way, I do have Amazon links, but my reviews about the effectiveness of these machines is quite negative, so nobody could claim that I'm trying to push sales).

1. New York Life profile image61
      New York Lifeposted 7 years ago in reply to this

the ftc doesnt dig that deep, either you have been paid directly from the company upfront or you havent

5. Abs Machine profile image60

Great. Thanx for all the comments and the help here! big_smile