How would you feel is someone sed that you were a bad speller

Jump to Last Post 1-6 of 6 discussions (10 posts)
  1. ClaudetteK profile image59
    ClaudetteKposted 14 years ago

I just got a comment, and it wass a lady on one of my Hubs, and she said I should use a spell check, Hell I dont even have one so how can I use somthing that I don't have. She looked a nice old lady, but tell the truth I am a bit miffed. I only went to skool til I was 15, I got duft up then and have spent the rest of my life looking after kids.

1. mandybeau1 profile image61
      mandybeau1posted 14 years agoin reply to this

Hi I read it and I thought that what they were trying to say was, that you could use it. I never do. So I am a bad example.
      I wouldn't worry, you haven't written much and what you have written has got u a score in the late 60's.
      So not too bad.
      I' have fanned you.

2. relache profile image72
    relacheposted 14 years ago

There's a spell checker built into the text capsules on HubPages.  It's the little button that says "abc" on it.  Any words that are misspelled will be underlined in red after you hit that button and then when you click on the misspelling, the Hub will show you some correctly spelled words to choose from.

1. ClaudetteK profile image59
      ClaudetteKposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Is it meant to make little red lines under the words, with a zig zag. what do I do then?

1. profile image0
        Ghost32posted 14 years agoin reply to this

Ah, great.  I knew Relache would know the answer!

Claudette, she's saying that if you see a word like you just described, and then you click on it, some words will pop up that the computer THINKS you might have meant to use...and you can pick the one that's right.

3. profile image0
    Ghost32posted 14 years ago

Claudette, I'm pretty sure there is a spell check function available that you can use right here in HubPages without having to have one of your own.  I never use it because most of the time when I spell something incorrectly it's intentional.

As to "how would I feel" if someone said I was a bad speller, I would personally have to scratch my head--simply because I'm a former spelling champion and I'd be quite confused by the comment. 

But since we're really looking at your situation, I wouldn't worry about it.  I looked at your hubs and was impressed by your statement that you didn't even crave a drink during the time that you were writing.  To me, that would seem far more important than worrying about what someone thought of your spelling. There's really no need to be miffed, though.  In all likelihood, the lady who left the comment was only trying to help. 

If I figure out where the spell check function can be found while writing hubs, I'll let you know.  In the meantime, maybe someone else will stop by with the answer.  Spell check could be a really good help for you--it would get you perfectly spelled articles and no one would ever again be able to even guess that you only went to school till you were fifteen.

4. mandybeau1 profile image61
    mandybeau1posted 14 years ago

All the words that have that line underneath, need fixing, when they are correct, the line will go.
    I was the Scholarship winner for English Literature, to go to Uni abroad, I really don't worry that much, but it is good to be able to spell Ghost has it right they are only trying to help.

5. Lisa HW profile image63
    Lisa HWposted 14 years ago

I wouldn't say anything about anyone's spelling; but I've seen Hubs with a lot of poor spelling and thought how it was too bad the writer didn't use spell-check, because their material was otherwise good.  I think sometimes some people may suggest using the spell-checker because they're trying to be helpful.  Then there are people who aren't trying to be helpful and are instead just trying to insult the writer.  Them - ignore.  If they can't attack someone's spelling they'll just look for something else to insult.

1. mandybeau1 profile image61
      mandybeau1posted 14 years agoin reply to this

I took it as kind of condescending towards Claudette, the comment mentions her background, prob shd have left that out. I mean no one knows anyones background on here. Just guesswork. Where is Badco.?????????????????????????????????????????

6. Pearldiver profile image66
    Pearldiverposted 14 years ago

You have gotta be joking!! smile

There has been a great deal of discussion here about the quality and content of some of the works here!
    The responsibilty falls on the writer to ensure that their work is not substandard! This isn't PlaySchool!

What's leaving school @ 15 and getting pregnant got to do with not being able to spell? The common denominators with your problem are: You and the choices You Make!
    In the same respect: You Choose if you learn to spell, use a spell-checker or swan around in leopardskin tights!!! yikes

If you write substandard work..... it will be flagged.
    If you want to learn to write... take constructive critism on board and learn from it without bleating! sad

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)