jump to last post 1-7 of 7 discussions (9 posts)

The wonderful world of Analytics!

1. Zsuzsy Bee profile image85
    Zsuzsy Beeposted 7 years ago

You just gotta love all this mumbo-jumbo of computer talk... All I ever wanted to do is write...but no, I'm told to understand my traffic and optimize my ??? I need to set up my Google Analytics. Okay I bought that and did just that a couple of months back. As promised it was not too hard, well if this techno-dunce (me) was able to do it it had to have been easy. I got it set up, activated and have been faithfully checking it...this sweet little tool is supposedly telling me all I ever wanted, needed, cared, or even gave a flying fig about, about my traffic.
    Okay people, I really do not consider myself a dumb-ass, I got through to be 55, as a single parent raised three children (well almost, as one is still in college), owned and ran a couple of pretty decent businesses but what does all that info created by this "sweet tool" mean?
    What the "h-e-double-hockey-sticks" am I looking at? As I said I've been mulling this thing over for a few months now, but I just found another side pocket this morning (saw it before, but did not acknowledge it before):  How to set goals!!!! I like goals (especially if there is a cute goalie inside)
    Well here I was told '...request URI for the goal...' who is URi? Misha's hockey playing friend from Russia? (is he a goalie?) The value of the goal? The defined funnel? (are we going to be bottling this stuff too...does it taste like wine? I'm okay with that then) '...Google analytics uses an assigned goal value to calculate ROI....' heeeehhhh who in the name of all that's holy is ROI?

Woops this rant has gone on too long sorry, I'm going to conclude by saying I'm happy that 122 people from the UK, 836 from the US, 72 from New Zealand and Australia 18 from Greece and 267 from India and so on checked out my hubs... thank you very much for that people...without Google Analytics I would not have know that.

2. Philent profile image80
    Philentposted 7 years ago

That was hilarious! Well I didn't bother about analytics at all, I just added the URL in the channel section of my adsense and there I can see which one is doing well, that's what matters to me anyway.

3. EmpressFelicity profile image83
    EmpressFelicityposted 7 years ago

ROI = "return on investment".  I'm new to this game as well - it's like a whole new language.

Zsuzsy Beeposted 7 years ago in reply to this

Thanks for that, but which again does not make much sense to me....analytics are there to check where my traffic is coming from I thought...Oh well I'll go try and write something useful now

4. NaomiR profile image85
    NaomiRposted 7 years ago

LOL, I hear you! I set up Analytics a few weeks back ... and it messed up my computer. Needless to say, I disabled it.

5. sunforged profile image67
    sunforgedposted 7 years ago

I dont use goals but analytics can synch with adsense and adwords, so one can see how much they spend compared to how much the make (ROI) thats a very basic example.

As a writer who doesnt want to get over involved w/ analytics/marketing etc.

One very useful option in analytics is under

Traffic Sources-->Keywords

Seeing what words and phrases are currently bringing you traffic can help you with further articles or learning what keywords you should promote in backlinks in order to increase your traffic

6. Zsuzsy Bee profile image85
    Zsuzsy Beeposted 7 years ago

Thanks Sunforged....I know I know, more reading and more hunting of keywords now...this is all giving me a headache.

I'm just being silly and thought I would lighten up some of the dry reading and digging you need to go through to get anywhere. Well I'm taking URi and ROI and I'm really getting to work this time as the pile of articles on my to do list won't write themselves...

7. spease profile image84
    speaseposted 7 years ago

It gives you some interesting information.  The main thing that the tool is for is if you are buying google ads.  So you know where your money is best spent.

Zsuzsy Beeposted 7 years ago in reply to this

Thanks spease, now that does make sense to me. Since I'm not buying any ads it should be a cheap round.
      Thank you zs