jump to last post 1-6 of 6 discussions (9 posts)

Being a mom....and remembering when...

1. Jane@CM profile image60
    Jane@CMposted 7 years ago

I have a 13 (almost 14) year old who loves hard rock and he likes it loud.  Times like right now, when I'm writing I wanna yell "turn it down", but then I see myself at his age, same type of music, same volume, nagging mother.  So, I'm holding my tongue.

Is this what we call learning from experience?

2. rebekahELLE profile image92
    rebekahELLEposted 7 years ago

it's called living with teenagers! mine are also musicians....
    one is moved out on his own, but they used to have practice here until they found one of those storage units you can rent for band practice.  I used to go through the same things, now I tell my older son to close his door if he's practicing alone.

you'll make it. smile

Jane@CMposted 7 years ago in reply to this

Oh, good another Mom with teens!

3. rebekahELLE profile image92
    rebekahELLEposted 7 years ago

teen years can be great test of parental stamina yikes
    my sons then lost their father during those years. youngest was 12.
    it was tough for a while, but they're both amazing now.

let them have a really long leash, and make their own mistakes.
    leash, not meaning control, but you know what they're doing, who they're with... smile

I agree, my daughter is 19 today, she was never into parties or boys, so her leash was considerably long, because she rarely went anywhere except school and dance.  Now, she does very well at college and living away from home.

4. lorlie6 profile image85
    lorlie6posted 7 years ago

I remember those years, my son is 21 now, and is moving back home in a month.  Temporarily, I should say! yikes)

5. Zsuzsy Bee profile image84
    Zsuzsy Beeposted 7 years ago

Jane, it's a pain but get some earplugs and grind your teeth... the day when they've all flown the coop is just around the corner. When its just tooooooooooooo quiet around and you'd happily put up even with the crap music just to have them back home.

6. lrohner profile image85
    lrohnerposted 7 years ago

Do what I did -- get your daughter a pair of wireless headphones. I got my son's from Sharper Image. They are wonderful!

Wireless headphones...for the boy...awesome idea! Great birthday idea - thanks! big_smile

Zsuzsy Bee, I know, my oldest is at college! My kids are 5 years a part.

working