jump to last post 1-7 of 7 discussions (7 posts)

What do you write about?

1. jenblacksheep profile image85
    jenblacksheepposted 7 years ago

Whenever I mention that I'm writing on here my mum always says to me 'you don't write about personal things, and about the family do you?' I always say 'NO mum.' Which is a lie because I do write about things personal to me and I do have one or two hubs about my family.

I've seen a lot of people on here write about their family, does it bother anyone writing about personal things?

2. 0
    Justine76posted 7 years ago

HAHHHAH!!! This is my third face, as I shouldnt be "putting my dirty undies on display!"

3. 0
    Janettaposted 7 years ago

to a point. I don't name names and try to be purposefully vague when discussing personal issues. Sure, I might not mind putting it out there, but someone in the hub may.

4. aware profile image71
    awareposted 7 years ago

Im new to this myself and worry a bit about being to open with my writings . Im working on a hub about my grandmothers life when im done it will i hope be my most professional attempt yet . I asked her tho first if it was ok  with her that i documented her  very touching  and eventful life story. And told her if i do i need the details . She looked at me with my pen and small pad . and said this . Your gona need more paper .. She is the last one left standing , she is very old and ill. But with the medium of paper and pen ,i hope to  make her live forever . If you do write about your mum maby you should run the rough draft by her . .   .

5. torimari profile image79
    torimariposted 7 years ago

It depends on what you are here for. Money, writing, or both? smile

I don't write about my family or friends, but I think it is fine. Real experience makes a hub relateable especially when you can take a personal experience and relate it to some advice or something other people can get something out of.
    Like you could talk about dealing with cancer or handling life when you or a loved one has it and relate a real life experience (if you have one to it).

Or, you could...just talk about your life. I write about what I want to and try to make it audience-friendly.

I could never write purely for money on hubpages-I like writing and it keeps me writing when I'm not in school.

Write about whatever you like...write for yourself, your audience, or either.

6. jenblacksheep profile image85
    jenblacksheepposted 7 years ago

Ye, I don't mention names or anything. I wrote a hub about my grandad's death, and I don't think my mum would be too impressed with that. But I did try and do it tastefully.

I am mainly writing just for the sake of writing. But I am going to try and do a few hubs just to make money, but they wouldnt be personal at all.

7. sooner than later profile image60
    sooner than laterposted 7 years ago

I don't write about my family in my hubs. 
    However, I am writing a book about my mothers childhood life that should be pretty interesting. Her father was a fanatical pentecostal preacher/American Gypsy that sold his life posessions and moved the familly to Israel in the early 60's.

The details in between are amazing. to me anyway.