jump to last post 1-1 of 1 discussions (7 posts)

Author's Platforms

1. 0
    AuthorsBookposted 7 years ago

I’m about 5 or 6 weeks into Hubpages now and despite some feedback, am not certain writers really want to know all the in’s and out’s for how to develop an author’s platform.

I am a published author and journalist with 10 years in publishing and need to know what’s important to you.

Thanks, for your comments!

1. earner profile image84
      earnerposted 7 years ago in reply to this

Well, it's not us that you really have to write for, it's your target audience.

While there'll be a few "proper authors" here, I suspect most are just like me ... excited and keen amateurs enjoying the ride.

The Internet is 100,000,000 times larger than Hubpages and that's where your traffic, interest ... and money ... will come from.

So write for your target audience and enjoy what you are doing.  Proper authors here will be quietly salivating over your hubs, taking from them the points they feel will benefit them most.  Maybe they're just shy.

Just enjoy yourself!

1. 0
        AuthorsBookposted 7 years ago in reply to this
    2. retellect profile image79
      retellectposted 7 years ago in reply to this

I agree with earner. You have to find out what your target audience is lacking and target that subject. Most of the times its staring you in your face, when you find it you wonder why no one else has written about it.

It doesn't hurt to email some of your dedicated readers to ask what they like reading or want to read. Research the topics and if you can't find much info, its likely that you could get more readers by taking up that subject.

Always remember that the topic should be worth you time, if the subject doesn't pay much then you might wanna stay away. Also look what your competition is like. Just find something you enjoy writing about and you will be having fun while making a bit on the side! smile

1. hudsonj1994 profile image60
        hudsonj1994posted 7 years ago in reply to this

You said exactly what I was typing big_smile Could'nt of put it in better words.

3. rebekahELLE profile image91
      rebekahELLEposted 7 years ago in reply to this

what is the best approach to get into magazines? I'm all ears, I'll take whatever advice you want to give. 

my son just finished a manuscript for a fantasy novel, he's editing and proofreading, next step?

1. 0
        AuthorsBookposted 7 years ago in reply to this

MAGAZINES: No one has a lock on magazines save a major publisher that also owns the magazine or in many instances, advertisers who also write articles.  BUT with some research from the Writer's Market you will be able to identify the types of magazines that fit your topic.  All will want a query letter and that too, is explained in the Writer's Market.  Writers' books like this are available at all libraries.

YOUR SON'S MANUSCRIPT: My first 6 or so hubs addressed publisher insider know-how about how to get published.  If you go to AthorsBook you'll see.

Thanks for your comments and Q's