jump to last post 1-4 of 4 discussions (6 posts)

infopirate dot org - stealing content

1. retellect profile image80
    retellectposted 7 years ago

here we go again.......I'm getting a bit of traffic from infopirate . Its a site that gives revenue for bookmarking pages. Are they infringing on copyright by allowing their users to make money from my hubs?

Time for complaints?

Gimme some advice please! neutral

1. relache profile image87
      relacheposted 7 years ago in reply to this

How is bookmarking infringing your copyright?   I think you might want to get educated as to what copyright and fair use actually involve.

2. retellect profile image80

Because they do display the content of the hub and earn revenue from it, I was just wondering if that allowed.

1. darkside profile image84
      darksideposted 7 years ago in reply to this

How much content?

3. N. Ramius profile image83
    N. Ramiusposted 7 years ago

I checked out the site for a couple minutes. It seems no different from Shetoldme or Digg or any of the other social bookmark sites but text blurbs can run a bit long. I see a blurb about a blog or article link, ads and a link to the actual website.

Revenue sharing is 80% for person who shares a link.

As far as I'm concerned it's a free back link, although some people do copy verbatim a bit more than they probably should from the original site. I saw two sentence verbatim copy and 7 or 8 sentence verbatim copies. I don't know if they are the owners or not though, and I don't know if it's enough to trigger duplicate content warnings. I didn't look that hard but I didn't see entire articles copied.

If they do copy entire articles then that would be copyright violation. To me it looks like it falls under Fair Use. They may have to high of a character limit for summaries though. Hard to say as I'm not an expert.

4. retellect profile image80

I didn't bookmark the page, will post again if found. Thanks