jump to last post 1-9 of 9 discussions (20 posts)

Do hubpages promote quantity over quality?

1. sooner than later profile image61
    sooner than laterposted 7 years ago

Who made the 30 hubs in 30 days challenge?

I see a lot of really crapy hubs with little information or information that is already known to the general public.

Is there some advantage in taking up alot of web space?

1. KCC Big Country profile image83
      KCC Big Countryposted 7 years ago in reply to this

I've participated in 4 hubchallenges since May and will start another November 1st.  Flag the crappy hubs as you see them and let the HubPages staff take care of it.   There are MANY advantages for taking up my share of the webspace.  Write more than 6 hubs and you'll begin to see the difference yourself.

2. Flightkeeper profile image77
      Flightkeeperposted 7 years ago in reply to this

I think it depends on what you want to do on hubpages.  If you want to write quality stuff, you will get a loyal readership, and they will click on your adsense.  Your readership will grow. I don't think that happens to the crappy-written hubs.  It's like the book publishing industry, thousands of books get published, not many get more than one printing.

sooner than laterposted 7 years ago in reply to this

I would rather do quality hubs in low numbers. I see many want a lot of friends as well. But my life has suggested that one good friend is better than 100 fair friends.

1. darkside profile image81
          darksideposted 7 years ago in reply to this

By all means continue to make quality hubs in low numbers.

I've seen a lot of crappy hubs, and a crappy hubber can make them regardless of whether they make them in bulk or only occasionally.

2. Marisa Wright profile image94
        Marisa Wrightposted 7 years ago in reply to this

It's been proved over and over again, regular readers don't click on ads.

The people who click on ads are the readers who arrive at your Hub or blog after finding it on a search engine.   So having a large readership has only an indirect influence on your Adsense earnings, by giving you good traffic, which raises your page rank.

2. profile image0
    poetlorraineposted 7 years ago

this has been discussed before...... hub pages like good quality hubs in quantity,,,,,, i think,if possible but no pressure.

3. Uninvited Writer profile image82
    Uninvited Writerposted 7 years ago

The 30 day challenge has not increased the amount of crappy hubs, they have always been there and they always will be. Flag the bad ones.

1. Marisa Wright profile image94

I agree.  The 30 day challenge isn't a contest and there are no prizes at the end - it's purely a self-motivator.  If you look at the really crappy Hubs, there's no indication that they were written for the 30 day challenge.

I'm not trying to be rude, I just don't see how its a motivator. What is the motivation for people to write about things that they don't know.

I can understand peoms, short stories and things of major interest. Eveything else can be found through search engines and is written better 99% of the time.

1. Marisa Wright profile image94

If we all took that attitude, none of us would be here!  Poems, short stories and current news stories are generally poor earners on HubPages. What makes money is evergreen content - even though it's true you'll find thousands of articles on the same subjects if you Google.

The 30 Day Challenge doesn't set subjects for you to write about - you choose your own topics, and write about what you know.

4. profile image0
    poetlorraineposted 7 years ago

the thing is about friends on hub pages, we all want to improve our writing, and spark creativity.  I have one really good friend, she does not write, or show any interest in writing, so she is not much help in that regard....

and how many of those "friends" do you think actually read what you write?

5. waynet profile image49
    waynetposted 7 years ago

Often times it is the crappy hubpages that are well worded with the right amount of keywords but not enough information and clarity that get the adsense clicks, as readers want an exit, so they choose an adsense ad to try and not waste their time fully by landing on trash content.

But then also good quality content has also been known to attract the adsense clickers from all the corners of the internet, I think the trick is to strike a happy balance of information where you leave some room for others to go and find out more through an ad.

ah, good point. I learned something.

6. 1974 profile image56
    1974posted 7 years ago

If I've learned one thing since I've been here it is to concentrate on your own Hubs and not concern yourself with what others are doing.

1. Jeffrey Neal profile image87
      Jeffrey Nealposted 7 years ago in reply to this

Best reply on the whole thread. smile

Quality is important though, and the more quality hubs I read the more it makes me want to improve the quality of my own.

7. profile image0
    cosetteposted 7 years ago

I like you, 1974.

8. sooner than later profile image61
    sooner than laterposted 7 years ago

It's not like I am hub police or anything. I just had a few questions. they have been answered.

9. Lisa HW profile image82
    Lisa HWposted 7 years ago

Generally, the person with a couple of hundred Hubs will earn more with that many than he did when he had twenty Hubs; so one point of challenges is to motivate Hubbers to write more Hubs.  Encouraging writing more doesn't mean also encouraging bad quality.   The "sorting process" is designed, in general, to steer traffic away from the lower quality Hubs (which is/should be incentive for Hubbers to aim for quality).

working