Duplicity

Jump to Last Post 1-10 of 10 discussions (26 posts)
  1. akirchner profile image92
    akirchnerposted 14 years ago

Okay - serious blonde here but not getting why my 2 hubs are flagged for duplicate. Short version, I had a hub with a whole menu, thought it was too long, so pulled out 2 of the recipes; turkey and tart.  Used the same recipe, but the hubs are totally different in that I used different videos, different pics, different Amazon links, etc. I linked them back to my original hub with the full menu - I shared them on blogg, facebook, twitter, digg, stumbleupon, etc. like I always do. How did I go wrong? 

I'm thinking I should just delete them and pretend I did not do them - or do them over and take the names of the recipe out of the title?  Both recipes were from the foodnetwork.  One of them was from Barefoot Contessa's cookbook but again, that recipe is on foodnetwork.

Can anyone explain what the dumb blonde did and how to avoid it in the future?

1. relache profile image72
      relacheposted 14 years agoin reply to this
        akirchnerposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Thanks for the help - I guess the only thing I can think of then is that if I take off the Amazon that would mean that it was not promoting anything but the recipe?  That's what I just did anyhow - Maddie emailed me and said that there may have been a mix-up.  The hubs are ridiculously simple - they are a RECIPE from the foodnetwork.  They were both part of a more elaborate hub that I did with the whole menu so wanted to select out and note the 2 top things - turkey and tart.  Look where it got me!  Anyhow - trying to resolve it and figure out where I went wrong if I did.  I added the videos as I say, the recipe (hard to rewrite that and there are millions of the same recipe all over the internet as far as I can tell) - and added my own pics.  I did not see this recipe anywhere except on foodnetwork and my daughter sent it to me!  Anyway - hopefully I'll get a clue as to what I did or did not do!  Thanks again!

2. lrohner profile image68
      lrohnerposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Duplicate content has nothing to do with Amazon links, videos or pics. Reuse those to your heart's content. Google and HP don't care. Duplicate content has to do with text. If you use the same verbiage for even a portion of a hub, it's duplicate.

2. Helen Cater profile image62
    Helen Caterposted 14 years ago

It sounds like it is not your original work and because you copied them from a site it is classed as duplicate. This will harm your hub score as Hubpages does not like copied work. I hope I have assumed correctly, if not I am sorry.

3. akirchner profile image92

It is not copied from another site - it is just a recipe that I got off the foodnetwork - and it has appeared on other sites I guess like something with Oprah and somewhere else - I'm not sure why that is duplicate - I just put the same recipe on and never even saw the other sites!  Kind of confused - but Maddie emailed me and I think it was a mistake - so waiting to hear back.  Like I said, no copying on my part - except used the recipe.  I added products from Amazon, videos, wrote my own text - just the recipe IS somewhere else but most recipes ARE somewhere else!  I think I'm getting a headache - thanks for trying to help though....

So what you are saying is that if a recipe is printed (duplicated) in lots of places, you don't get why HubPages considers it to be "duplicated?"  Are you kidding?

No - I actually was not kidding - because if a recipe is listed on the internet in about a hundred places and I merely suggest it as a good one and use that as a suggested recipe, why is that duplicating?  A recipe is by definition a chemical combination and there are very few ways that you can change it.  The wording yes - on how to mix it or suggestions, etc.  In fact, one of the recipes that I did use I noted where it came from, the cookbook, etc. and I did a low-fat version.  How is anyone supposed to use a RECIPE if they cannot copy it because as I say - it is a chemically based reaction.  If you do not have the right ingredients it won't work.  I can see duplication flagging for taking text from someone's website and using it as your own but again, on a recipe, how does this work?  I guess that should be explained more clearly to dopes like me who obviously don't know what they are doing and just am starting out.  I did not intend to copy anything or duplicate anything - I was putting together a menu and adding different things together to make a Thanksgiving dinner.  As an example, I have 200+ cookbooks and there are a tons of duplicate recipes in them - would I need to clear every one of those recipes every time I want to suggest them in a menu?  If that is the case I understand - only somehow I did not get that. Obviously I am dumber than a box of rocks!

It's a duplicate because that's the criteria that HubPages established for content. 

http://hubpages.com/faq/#duplicate_content

If a web site says they want original content and that anything duplicated will be penalized, you can keep using the plagiarized content, but it's going to result in your score being lowered.

2. darkside profile image67
          darksideposted 14 years agoin reply to this

I'm not sure what you think the word duplicate means.

It doesn't mean 'unnecessary' or 'inappropriate'.

Here's a dictionary meaning for duplicate, and it's what Relache and the site FAQ means:

I completely understand what duplicate means - my point is - in the case of a recipe, since it is a chemical concoction if you will, you have to "copy" or duplicate the INGREDIENTS but I write the directions in my own words and/or make something different about it.  I did not get permission from foodnetwork because I was not aware that I needed to do that - I was merely saying that because the recipe is appearing all over the place on the internet I'm just wondering why MINE is being flagged as duplicated when I linked TO the foodnetwork and even pointed out the cookbook where it came from.  The funniest thing of all is that I originally published these exact 2 recipes with all the links, etc. in a menu version - the DUPLICATES only showed up when I decided the menu hub was too cumbersome so went back and pulled out the 2 "main" recipes which were the turkey and the tart.  The original hub was never flagged as a duplicate - so I guess I just have egg all over my face because I simply don't "get it".  I'm not trying to steal work or plagiarize - in the case of a recipe though I'm just confused.  There are hundred of versions of the same recipe all over the internet and in cookbooks - with the same ingredients - maybe the wording is a tad different - but who owns those recipes then and how do you go about adding ANY recipes to hubpages if that is the case?  That's where I'm getting totally confused.  Wouldn't EVERY recipe then be a duplicate?  I'm sure there are a few very creative folks out there who might be able to invent something new in terms of recipes but by and large, all the recipes that I've seen thus far on hubpages are "duplicate" from somewhere as they are found elsewhere?

Totally not trying to be difficult - it is actually very upsetting to me to be called a plagiarist and a duplicator!~  I have no desire to write if that is what folks are thinking and I certainly don't want the stress of it all.  I was designing a menu plain and simple and for all the reasons stated above, I am baffled beyond belief just because I'm not getting (again) how ANY recipe then can be published on a hub.  Not just mine but anyone's - did everyone that published a recipe on here get permission from someone?

1. profile image0
              cosetteposted 14 years agoin reply to this

you don't actually have to physically copy and paste the words for them to be flagged as duplicate. any words (content) that you use in your hubs could be found by Hubpages and flagged as duplicate, even if they are your own, which will bring down your hub's score, and which is why i don't even quote lines from famous people or books anymore because it will be seen as 'duplicating' even if you credit your source and had no intention of deliberately duplicating them. this is HubPages' way of protecting all of its members.

2. darkside profile image67
              darksideposted 14 years agoin reply to this

What I'm saying is, if you have a string of words that is the same as another, if there are two or more corresponding or identical parts or examples, you will trip the duplicate filter.

1. rmcrayne profile image91
                rmcrayneposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Copy the text/content of any of your work into this free tool.  It will evaluate and show you line by line, any duplicate sequence of 4 words or more, and all the sources, even your own other uses. 

http://www.plagiarismdetect.com/

THANK YOU - that is what I am thinking that I did - I think I actually copied my OWN recipe - from the menu hub that I thought was too huge - then just copied MY recipe into the new hub and added everything ELSE new and "different" - I went to so much trouble and shot myself in the foot anyhow.  This kind of feedback is SO positive....again thanks!

4. Uninvited Writer profile image79
    Uninvited Writerposted 14 years ago

Part of recipes are copyrighted. You can reprint the ingredients of a recipe, however, you must put the instructions in your own words.

Did you get permission from the Food Network to reprint their recipes?

Well, actually I did rewrite the recipe in my own words or changed it to make it easier to read (I think) - I always do that.  No, I did not get permission to use the recipe because in fact I have the recipe in the Barefoot Contessa Cookbook as well - I guess I'm very confused on recipes because there is only usually 1 set of "chemistry" ingredients in the recipe and if we had to get permission from every person who has that recipe, how would you do that since there are so many sources for that recipe?  I can see writing it of course in your own words or adding a variation - but for a specific recipe, where do you possibly begin to get all the permissions?  Maybe I just should give up while I'm ahead because on the recipe thing, I'm not getting it - obviously.  I own 200+ cookbooks and there are so many duplications it is incredible - not to mention I can find the same recipe on hundreds of sites - so who owns it?  And why is it wrong to suggest it to folks as a "good" one to try?  What about songs?  Or what about videos on U-tube - someone who invented something - why don't we have to ask them permission to use their videos, etc?

5. Dame Scribe profile image57
    Dame Scribeposted 14 years ago

How about just using a link to the recipe site then? hmm  add your own *suggestions* under the link? save you the headaches smile hope that helps.

6. Uninvited Writer profile image79

I have one of my own recipes on Hubpages, I also posted it on a forum once upon a time. It is still marked as a duplicate on HubPages because it appears somewhere else on the Internet. I can live with it, it does not mean I plagiarized it, it just means it appears somewhere else.

7. lrohner profile image68
    lrohnerposted 14 years ago

FYI---It's not "bon appetite", it's "bon appetit" (French). And in the title for your thread here, it's not "duplicity", it's "duplication". "Duplicity" has more to do with deception or misuse than two things that are the same.

Sorry, I'm just anal when it comes to these things. smile

1. Uninvited Writer profile image79
      Uninvited Writerposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Are you sure you're not a librarian? smile

1. lrohner profile image68
        lrohnerposted 14 years agoin reply to this

big_smile

8. Uninvited Writer profile image79

They are not calling you anything, it just means that the recipe appeared elsewhere...that is it. It IS a duplicate because it appears more than one place.

You can still publish it but it will be marked as a duplicate. I have 4 hubs that are, they are still published.

9. akirchner profile image92

Thanks for all the helpful input - I deleted both hubs just because I can't live with the little red word duplicate.  Guess that solves that and will wait to hear back from hubpages re: their feedback on the recipe question if I decide to do another hub. Thanks again.

10. lrohner profile image68
    lrohnerposted 14 years ago

I've been blogging about food forever. If you list the same ingredients and the same measures for them as another source, it is NOT a copyright violation. The powers that be recognized that there are finite ways to make a decent meringue, for example. They also were smart enough to realize that there are many recipes where there is no "owner" -- like Rugelach or Corned Beef & Cabbage. It just is what it is. That said, the preparation methods must be proprietary and written in your own words.

If your hub is being flagged as duplicate and all you have copied are the measurements and ingredients, then no worries. Just leave it as being flagged and move onto the next hub.

When I am giving a recipe that does not belong to me, I usually give an overview of the recipe and then link to it. Take a look at some of my food hubs, like the Nutella or Lime Recipes hubs.

I have one blog, however, that details authentic, traditional recipes from other countries. I do reword the preparation methods and adapt them for American kitchens, but I don't change the ingredients. So far, my blog has never been penalized by Google. Quite the opposite. It has thrived.

SUPER advice and thank you for actually answering my questions and not calling me a plagiarist, etc!~  Totally refreshing.  That was what I was asking - I guess I was paranoid about the flag - it upset me and I was totally worried about it when in fact I probably just am so new and so inexperienced, I was making sure I was doing okay.  I thank you for your input - and that's what I tried to do - is use the ingredients, recommend it as my "fav" and then redo the directions.  I have a feeling I shot myself in the foot in the whole mess somehow and that is what I'm just not getting.  I did a whole menu blog and then thought it was "too cumbersome" so in my stupidity went back and tried to pull out the best parts - tart and turkey.  Somehow - even in adding new videos, new wording (except for the recipe - maybe that was it - I shot myself as I say) - even new Amazon things (and even took the Amazon links off) - that's when I got the flag on both the tart and turkey SEPARATE hubs.  So maybe it was that I copied the recipe in my own words x2 although now I don't actually know since I just deleted them and figure it's best to forget this whole thing and move on!

Sorry so verbose - I lost a lost of brain power on worrying about having committed the ultimate sin on the internet!

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)