jump to last post 1-6 of 6 discussions (6 posts)

1. jimmythejock profile image82
    jimmythejockposted 9 years ago

Hi everyone,
    I have just finished building a Web site, it is nothing much to write home about yet lol but as i was building it i began to wonder would i be able to host the site myself, from my own pc without using a middle man(hosting company) i  have tried to research this idea on the web with very little success, i wonder if anyone can help me,.....jimmy
    ps if you do know the ins and outs it would make a great hub

2. hedgeek profile image60
    hedgeekposted 9 years ago

Hey Jimmy,

I started drafting a reply and realized it was getting a little long.  This hub should at least help you decide it you really want to self host.

http://hubpages.com/hub/Does_It_Make_Se … wn_Website

I'll try to update it and add examples when I have more time.

3. jimmythejock profile image82

Thanks hedgeek, have saved that one to favs, cant wait for your next instalment.....jimmy

4. hedgeek profile image60
    hedgeekposted 9 years ago

Let me know what hardware and OS you are running and I will work on those options first.

5. darkside profile image84
    darksideposted 9 years ago

I'd go the way of the middle man.

It's not worth the stress of trying to do it yourself.

You can find hosting plans which are affordable. I have a reseller account. While I don't resell to the public what it does mean is I can set up my own domains and host my own sites. It costs me about US$200 per year to do it that way.

If it were just a simple hosting plan it would be much cheaper.

While I haven't made a Hub on it I do have a lens on Affordable and Reliable Webhosting companies.

Be sure to go with someone that offers cPanel. Because it makes setting up and managing your domain a breeze.

In addition to that you'll find that setting up a forum or installing Wordpress is so easy you'd think it was illegal.

Once you've got your site up and running let us know where it is.

6. jimmythejock profile image82

Thanks guys, For the moment I have decided to go the paid for route and I will be publishing the site within the next few days, after a little tweaking, I am using a site called fasthosts who are based in the uk.
    I don't know if you guys would be interested in the site though, lol as it is based around Freestyle disco dancing competitions which are held in the UK and Eire.
    If as I hope the site does take off in a big way, then I will reconsider my hosting options and probably buy a couple of servers to host it myself.
    I will keep you posted on the sites progress.
    thanks guys
    jimmy big_smile