jump to last post 1-7 of 7 discussions (10 posts)

Bonds for babies?

1. sunforged profile image63
    sunforgedposted 7 years ago

So I want to purchase some bonds as gifts for my good friends children (2 friends, 2 children) whats the best choice for 18 years maturation.

i dont really  know what im talking about...but the idea being they cant cash them until college - and they are 1 and 2 years now.

So what matures the best - they will be for small sums, 50usd..but i plan on doing it every year for them

any suggestions

2. profile image0
    lynnechandlerposted 7 years ago

Wow, don't have an answer for you but just wanted to say that is an incredible gift. *tipping my hat to you* emot, lol. Way to go.

3. rebekahELLE profile image91
    rebekahELLEposted 7 years ago

I certainly don't know the best, but my parents used modern woodman.

that is a wonderful, thoughtful gift, SF.

4. sunforged profile image63
    sunforgedposted 7 years ago

i looked up modern woodman - seems to be a little more involved than my plan, i just want to walk into a bank and walk out with a bond...just not sure what my strongest option is

1. rebekahELLE profile image91
      rebekahELLEposted 7 years ago in reply to this

try Bank of America, they seem to have everything.

1. sunforged profile image63
        sunforgedposted 7 years ago in reply to this

Thats my main bank, lol..but I want to be reasonable educated before I walk up to the desk..im sure they get benefits for selling certain bonds over others

1. rebekahELLE profile image91
          rebekahELLEposted 7 years ago in reply to this

that's their job to give you the info. I looked on their site and it gives basic info, the bonds, iras, etc. that might help. my friend does this with BofA for her grandchildren.

also googled what are best bonds for babies, guess what was number 4???   your thread here in the forum! wink

5. Beth100 profile image83
    Beth100posted 7 years ago

I used to receive bonds every Christmas when I was growing up.  They didn't seem like great presents when I was young, but their value as a gift became clear when I became older.  I learned from these gifts how much one is loved because of the forethought that is put into them. You've chosen a great gift. One suggestion is to ensure that they are compounded annually if they are bonds.

6. The Rope profile image61
    The Ropeposted 7 years ago

Suggest you talk to at least two seperate banks (preferably a bank and a credit union, not two banks).  Bonds still have the power to get little ones off to a good start later in life.  My grandmother (and now my mother) give bonds for birthdays for all children under the age of 20.  I cashed mine in when I first went to work - the furnished my first apt & got me the clothes I needed to dress appropriately.  It was a wonderful gift!

7. prettydarkhorse profile image64
    prettydarkhorseposted 7 years ago

oh you are very thoughful, the thing is find a bank which can have options for the interest to compound annually...

working