jump to last post 1-7 of 7 discussions (17 posts)

What do you think of the new law to

1. starme77 profile image87
    starme77posted 7 years ago

cut medicare funding to nursing homes? Are you for .... or against?

1. profile image0
      Brenda Durhamposted 7 years ago in reply to this

Against.

There's no good reason to have to cut the funding.

starme77posted 7 years ago in reply to this

Why not? I personally say cut the funding , slash it , take it away ,

2. starme77 profile image87

Tons of good reasons to cut the funding # 1 Medicare saves money and the political folks will haave to look elsewhere for contrabutions

2. Misha profile image75
    Mishaposted 7 years ago

Umm, I am neither for nor against, but the way you put it looks like medicare is getting quite close to default...

Well it is , but nursing homes are a huge contributor to stealing  the money from it all of the time, helping , in  a big way for Medicare to continue on its downward spiral

3. The Rope profile image59
    The Ropeposted 7 years ago

Whoa!  I've had my head in the sand for a few weeks now, will have to research this.  Without further info, I think someone has lost their minds!  Will get back to you.  Will say that due to some personal circumstances I had a chance a few years ago to talk with a couple of senators offices and found that at the time it cost about 25k to have someone in a nursing home - excluding the cost of the medical care - that was just room and board.

Yeah , bunch of crap, you  should read my hub on cuting medicare funding it explains alot

4. profile image0
    Denno66posted 7 years ago

Cut more funding for the elderly? That's just fundamentally wrong.

They are not really cutting funding to the elderly , just ceo's salaries and political contributions , the eldery never see the money anyway, not in the care they recieve and certainly not on their dinner plates . Have you ever seen to food in one of those places? Mush, crap

5. profile image0
    sneakorocksolidposted 7 years ago

The elderly are disposable, didn't you know? There's no reason to keep them around they can't do anything. The only thing they're good for is "Soilent Green".

1. Flightkeeper profile image79
      Flightkeeperposted 7 years ago

Death Panels here we come.

Why do you say that , hell with all of the cloning and crap gong on these days we'll all be greeters at walmart when wer'e 105

Flightkeeperposted 7 years ago in reply to this

It still takes money to clone.  And if the gov't is cutting down on expenses, who's going to decide who gets what service?

well, it takes money , but its a good investment because those clones can work for those companies and make em a profit , so they get the service , elderly people today can't work there for they are considered a liabilty

Flightkeeperposted 7 years ago in reply to this

Oh, I thought you mean clone body parts so that if we needed an extra kidney, they'd clone a kidney and replace the old one. But you're talking about an entire human clone. Well that brings up a whole new set of issues. A clone would be considered human with all the rights and responsibilities, I don't think you can tell them who to work for and they'll still age so it's like with any other human being.  They'll need services some time in the future.

2. The Rope profile image59
      The Ropeposted 7 years ago

Just thought I'd throw this into the conversation...the reason I had for contacting the senator's offices and determining how much it cost for medicare/medicaid to keep a person in a nursing home was that I had a handicapped friend who lived with me.  The Feds cut the "head of household" tax break if the person was not related to you - at the same time, the state thought it was okay to cut her out of some of their state programs - unless she was living in a nursing home.  Please understand that she became incapacitated when she was 32 and there was no time to build up a retirement fund, she was living on social security which at that point was around $550. a month.  Her medicines cost almost that much - let alone any living expenses.  She did not have family to care for her but her mind (and her fiesty nature) were working fine.  I was ready to STORM WASHINGTON but eventually got the state to back some of her medical expenses again and so the matter remains today.  I guarantee you that the cost of her living in a private home is much less than the $25k of a nursing home and much better for this thriving - and contributing - member of society.  Too bad the Feds don't see it that way.

working