Please critique my new hubpage

Jump to Last Post 1-14 of 14 discussions (16 posts)
  1. profile image0
    assemberposted 14 years ago

Hi All, I 've published a new hubpage on companies in the United kingdom. I will be expanding the content of the webpage with time.
    There is quite a bit  of information to come

2. profile image0

I do appologise, I left out the link, here it is

http://hubpages.com/hub/companies-limited-by-shares

3. lrohner profile image68
    lrohnerposted 14 years ago

To be honest, assember, I couldn't get past the spelling and punctuation errors in the first few paragraphs. I guess I'm just anal that way...

4. profile image0

Oh Dear, Must do better, I'll be back

Thanks

5. profile image0
    lynnechandlerposted 14 years ago

I took a look at it and agree with Irohner there are still at least two typos in the first paragragh, a he that should be the and an of that should be off.

Now, with that said, here is my impression and take it for what you will I am no expert.

I think you should move the opening paragraph. Starting with the disclaimer kinda put me off the whole thing. You need something that will hook your reader in and make them understand that this article talks about how to set up a company. The large picture of The Company building could be minimalized and you could add in a few more smaller pics of contract docs etc.

Again, this is just my opinion so take it for what it is worth.

6. yoshi97 profile image56
    yoshi97posted 14 years ago

critique: a brutally honest review given of one's writing with the hope it will help the author grow and become a master of their craft

Now, that's not the official definition, but that's *my* definition, so I'm going to be brutally honest, but I'm also going to help you grow and if you read up until the end ... I promise to make it all feel positive with hope (I swarez it!)

Okay, let's start with the fee of the article. It's a bit stiff and formal and reads more like something in a text book. However, the best articles are informal, breezy, and inviting to the reader, so as to keep them reading. A reader wants to feel like they are having something discussed with them, rather than being told something.

i.e.

'Dogs require a lot of care. XYZ is a med that cures everything. That's why vets recommend it.'

Now, that's informative, but that's all it is. And this is fine ... provided you are willing to fulfill the role of someone's encyclopedia and care nothing about adsense. Now, come here while I whisper this into your ear ... give 'em something they'll enjoy. Make it coversational, like so ...

'We all know that dogs require a lot of care, but did you know they have a medicine caled XYZ that cures everything? Amazed? I know I was. Arthritis, dermititis, heartwork, roundworm, you name it. Let me give you some some great info on this wonderdrug!'

So much less informal and so much more inviting ... and so easy to do.

Challenge yourself. Pretend you are totally excited by what you are about to discuss and you want to infect another person with your excitement! Talk to them informally and try to get them buzzed as well. Then ... write what you would say to them, write down the responses you would anticipate, then write down your replies. When you are done with this, cross out their replies and reword for it to make sense ... only supplying the pieces of their responses to make it all make sense.

Does it work?

You bet your sweet bippy it does!

Why?

It's a bit of psychology at work... You see, by doing this you are anticipating what will be going through the reader's mind and you will be answering the questions that you assume they will be asking. The reader will be pulled into the article because you will be answering their questions as they occur, which will make them impressed with your knowledge of the topic and will build enough trust that they will consider you an authority on the topic and might click an ad.

Written in a dry manner they perceive it's just material drawn from elsewhere and they get frustrated when it doesn't answer their questions, that's why conversational articles sell over the crowd very well.

Trust Yoshi on this one! smile

So, now that I've beat you up a bit I need to put you all back together again. Luckily, that's an easy one as you do appear to have a good amount of worthy information to deliver and you seem to know what you are talking about. If presented well, this material will work well with the masses. smile

Also, I agree ... no disclaimers at the beginning ... always save them for last - or for a moment where they come directly into play. Even then, deliver them as part of your conversation with the reader.

Remember, if the reader is involved then you have what you want ... an interested reader. Now go out there and win one for the Yoshi! smile

1. profile image0
      lyricsingrayposted 14 years agoin reply to this

If I may be brutally honest Yoshi, you just friggin helped me out - thanks buddy xo

7. KCC Big Country profile image86
    KCC Big Countryposted 14 years ago

OMG....what a great piece of advice Yoshimeister!  I'm serious.  You couldn't have presented that any better.  It should be required reading for all hubbers. (new and old)  *applauds*

8. yoshi97 profile image56

Does that mean I gotta put it in a hub? wink

9. KCC Big Country profile image86

Why not?  It's great advice, might as well make some adsense on it.

10. yoshi97 profile image56

once again, ya make sense ... I'll do it this weekend when I have off work. smile

1. Laura du Toit profile image74
      Laura du Toitposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Looking forward to this hub!

11. KCC Big Country profile image86

smile  I'll be watching to make sure you do.

12. profile image0
    Nelle Hoxieposted 14 years ago

If you're going to have an opening paragraph without a product beside it, then make it long enough so that you get another block of adsense ads to the right.

I've become quite fond of the format where the opening paragraph is long enough for a stripe of google adsense to the right with an Ebay product on top of the adsense. That way it's not all text, and there's a little picture for them to click on if they are so inclined. Or they'll click an ad.

Yoshi did a fantastic job on describing the feel of a hub, so I'd listen to what he has to say as well. I usually pretend that my sister and I are out shopping and having a talk to get into the chatty style of a hub.

I think that you're on the right track. Looking forward to more of your stuff.

13. prettydarkhorse profile image62
    prettydarkhorseposted 14 years ago

WOW, Yoshi, am learning a lot, and also from others, thanks to all!!

14. Suki C profile image67
    Suki Cposted 14 years ago

As a newbie I'm still learning and, unlike other forums that I participate in, I'm amazed at the level of friendliness and helpful advice to be found here.

Yoshie - I wish that there was a way of bookmarking your excellent advice - I await your hub on the subect with much anticipation smile

Suki

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)