Why do mosquitoes always bite you in the worst places?

Jump to Last Post 1-49 of 49 discussions (181 posts)
  1. mistyhorizon2003 profile image89
    mistyhorizon2003posted 14 years ago

I awoke this morning to discover that in spite of wearing pyjamas, some enterprising mosquito or mosquitoes had managed to find their way inside the bottoms overnight in order to give me two bites on one bum cheek, and one on the other, plus a further one on the back of my thigh about 6 inches down from the right cheek.

Now I can't help wondering why they didn't just bite me on the hand, my face, or even my arm if the sleeve slid up a bit in my sleep, but for some reason they decided to bite me on the arse was more amusing, hence I have been scratching all day, and have four huge red bumps, three of which are on my bum cheeks, (I shall leave this horrific vision to your imaginations), suffice to say it isn't pleasant, and I reckon one of the fly / mosquito killing lights I wrote about recently on a hub of mine are now top of my Christmas list.

1. Army Infantry Mom profile image60
      Army Infantry Momposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Because their miserable little chumps who knows their life expectancy is short,..so they gotta make your life suck the best they can,..LOL

mistyhorizon2003posted 14 years agoin reply to this

Yep, that makes total sense smile

2. profile image0
        Denno66posted 14 years agoin reply to this

Amen!

2. mistywild profile image60
      mistywildposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Ummmm, maybe it's because the blood is warmer or something scientific like that, you know, something a mosquito would think abou, lol. I feel your pain!

You might well be right Mistywild, in any case, I am off to bed now and intend to take my chances.... wish me luck smile

1. mistywild profile image60
          mistywildposted 14 years agoin reply to this
    3. cheaptrick profile image73
      cheaptrickposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Are you sure they were mosquitoes?Might have been "Love bites"from a very small man...

Fabulous answer, I wish smile

4. profile image0
      Justine76posted 14 years agoin reply to this

it was probably a spider. ewwww. sorry, but its happend to me too.

We don't have biting spiders here in Guernsey (thank goodness), so it can only be mozzies or a flea. Just in case it was the latter (as we do have cats), I have sprayed the whole house with a product called 'Staykill' that kills fleas, and sterlises their eggs for up to 12 months, and touch wood, haven't had any new bites since.

5. pylos26 profile image70
      pylos26posted 14 years agoin reply to this

yo misty...them mosquitoes ain't no fools...

LOL, well clearly they are having fun at least, even if I am scratching in all sorts of unattractive places wink

2. profile image54
    kmarketing.wsposted 14 years ago

Hello how are you? Well a recent study shows that the level of stress determines or I should say attracts these nasty bitters to you. So I am sure the work place has many people who are stressed out and frustrated. Thank You for reading my reply.

Golly, I must be more stressed than I thought. Cheers for the comment smile

3. profile image0
    sneakorocksolidposted 14 years ago

You had your pants off!?

No I didn't, I think they had absailing equipment and excavation tools, and simply found their way below the waistband, unless my bottom half slipped down in the night, (but it was all correctly in place by this morning).

4. Beth100 profile image69
    Beth100posted 14 years ago

I guess that's why they're called BUGS!!! big_smile

Certainly figures, but these ones I reckon are genetically modified to have supreme intelligence and espionage abilities.

1. Beth100 profile image69
        Beth100posted 14 years agoin reply to this

That's what happens when livestock is pumped with growth hormones!  Ewww!  Hate swatting them already, never mind mutant ones!!! tongue  I'm grateful it's snow time here!! smile

You are lucky, we only get snow about every 7 or 8 years, and then for 24 hours if we are lucky. Right now it is only wet and windy, so I reckon they come in for a warm, sheltered place to sleep and a tasty snack, i.e. my arse!!!

1. profile image0

Oh, the temptation to comment, not sure what's worse: your lyrics or this ;p

LOL, well imagine the wriggling I am having to do right now just to avoid itching the bumps,, grrrrrrr!!!

1. profile image0

That bothers the life outta me, too. When will it stop!

I guess another 24 hours at least more's the pity!

1. profile image0

Ah, that is a torture, no doubt about it.

2. Beth100 profile image69

Not sure about Denno66's comments...

But, one way to stop them biting your arse (other than some really imaginative methods) is to drink lemonade that you make from scratch.  Mosquitos do not like acidic blood.  I usually drink 1 - 2 cups everyday during the wet months here, and never a bite.  The day I miss one cup...and I'll be eaten alive!  Also, if you eat a lot of bananas, the potassium will attract them to you.

LOL, well the fact he has 2 bananas every morning for breakfast seems to indicate he is a more likely to get bitten, yet he doesn't.... not fair, (stamps foot).

Can you post the lemonade recipe here please? I suspect my mozzies are alcoholics as if they bite me at night it must be neat cider they are consuming smile

2. Sue Adams profile image95
              Sue Adamsposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Thanks for the tip. We have plenty of lemon trees here.

3. monaz profile image59
              monazposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Hey I did not know that.It is really useful information.The place I come from is really infested with mosquito all round the year.

5. profile image0
    Denno66posted 14 years ago

I would imagine this is going to draw a lot of male mosquitoes to this thread, even though only the females bite.   ;p

LOL Denno, well I sure hope so smile

1. profile image0

:-)

6. profile image0

The thought that the little buggers are busy feasting away while you're sleeping is a bit disconcerting. Who knows how long they actually take until they're finished.Yip!

Yep, that is pretty scary too,and why do they only bite me, and not my hairy hubby? Is it because they didn't bring their miners lamps to find their way through the forest of hair he has on both his chest and back???

1. profile image0

Hold on (laughing hysterically here) the visual's too hilarious!

LOL, well it does seem bloody unfair if you ask me sad

1. profile image0

You know the answer to this one, but it's not worth the safety from skeeter assaults.

What's a "skeeter" ?????? and why would it "assault" me????

1. profile image0

A skeeter? Mozzy, did you call it? Assault, drain several pints of blood, eh, same dif.

A vampire, no???

1. profile image0

I believe so.

2. mistyhorizon2003 profile image89

So a skeeter is a huge mozzie capable of draining pints of blood arrrrgggghhhhh, there is no hope for me, I am doomed... doomed I say!!

1. profile image0

Get a grip, Misty! If you do what Beth says, you should escape their next foray.

7. profile image0

Hey! My comment wasn't going to be that bad! ;p

8. Beth100 profile image69
    Beth100posted 14 years ago

Just for you, I'll share my recipe ( lol )

Juice of 1 lemon (nice and ripe)
    Sugar to taste
    Hot water (about 1/4 of your cup to melt the sugar)

Mix the above  until the sugar is diluted.  Add cold water and  ice cubes for a cool lemonade.

During the winter or cold days, I drink this warm.  Takes a bit of getting use to, but it's pretty good. 

Enjoy! big_smile

Sounds rather nice, I must give this a go, Thanks smile

Any time!

2. profile image0

Yeah, growing hair everywhere, that wouldn't be a good solution for you ;p

9. profile image0

It is called the Ultimate Lemonade Skeeter Deterrent.

What about my current itchy butt??

1. profile image0

Hmm, well if it were me, I would use Aloe, or, um, actually I think that's all I know about. Great Mosquito remedizer I am. Hmm, remidizer, that's not a word is it?

Ahaaaa, I have an Aloe plant that I may have to scalp before bedtime!! Good tip.

1. profile image0

Been there, done that. Being in Vacationland I always have Aloe on hand for the the summer sunburns.

10. profile image0

Well, I must head off to slumberville. Take care of those skeeter bites. Hope all works out for you.

Me too soon, sleep tight, and I shall give you commission on the mosquito net underwear, promise!!!

1. profile image0

Skeeterwear. Just a thought.

That's the brandname sorted, now we need some prototypes to submit to companies.

1. profile image0

I'm working on it! ;p

Please send me a sample to test ASAP, urgent, I repeat URGENT!!!

1. profile image0

Roger, I read you, priority Alpha!

Thank you loads (scratch scratch scratch)...

11. profile image0

What hub is that, I haven't gotten to all of the ones I wish to visit.

Shouldn't post the actual link here, but the title is something along the lines of "Bowel Cancer Stole My Husband". You should find it easily if you check out my profile and hubs.

1. profile image0

You have a ton of hubs to read. This will be a busy hobby for sure. I will read it though.

Hope you enjoy them, don't worry, many of them are very funny and not doom and gloom (such as my bereavement from Cancer etc). They cover many topics, so hope you find some that appeal to you smile

12. profile image0

Maybe tommorrow I'll post a thread that reads like: I have found a way to prevent Mosquito Attacks. Only after the Skeeterwear is patented.

Go for it, we will split the profits 50/50

1. profile image0

Pleasure doing business with you, although, sadly, you had to suffer to get this off the ground, so to speak.

13. profile image0

Tomorrow, the world will have to be exposed to that thread, then, I fear. Until then, nite nite time. (Waves)

Night Night, sleep tight, I won't be far behind you, (I mean going to my own bed of course).

14. Jackson Riddle profile image47
    Jackson Riddleposted 14 years ago

Mistywild just happens to post on a thread by mistyhorizon2003 , both seem to be quite similar. Could be wrong but at first glance could be alter-ego's.

Nope, wrong I am afraid. I actually don't use any aler-ego's on hubpages, there is just little old me smile

1. Jackson Riddle profile image47
        Jackson Riddleposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Really, because it appears as though you reply to threads in exactly the same manner. Are fans of each other and I'm sure there would be much more in common if I looked for it.

But if you say so.

Well Mistywild joined my fan club about a week ago now, so I haven't had time to find out much about her yet. I guess the best way to prove we are different people is to get both of us to post on one of your hubs at the same time, as under the Approve/Deny box you will see the ip addresses for each of us, and of course if we were the same person we would have the same ip address, but as different people we will have different ip addresses. Plus I can't remember what Mistywild has put on her profile details, but you will see on mine that I am based in Guernsey in the UK Channel Islands, whereas I assume that Mistywild will be somewhere in the US as most hubbers eem to be smile

Actually, just an afterthought, but would you honestly have come to this conclusion if we didn't both have "Misty" in our online names??

15. profile image0
    lyricsingrayposted 14 years ago

I can't believe how much I'm learning and sweet pea they only bite you because your much sweeter than your hubby  big_smile  big_smile

What a lovely thing to say Lyricsingray, (hey, that sounds kind of poetic).
      Thanks
      smile

16. Jane@CM profile image60
    Jane@CMposted 14 years ago

Hate when that happens!  I get spider bites, my hubby does not.  Must be a female thing!

Yikes, give me the mosquitoes over a spider any day, it's bad enough getting bitten, but when it means have your alltime biggest phobia sharing the bed with you, well, that is ten times worse.

17. profile image0

I'm not gonna say anything.....;p

18. Sue Adams profile image95
    Sue Adamsposted 14 years ago

Be clean in the most awkward places. And cool.

I am always cool though as I feel the cold really badly due to low blood pressure. Definitely clean too, but they still bite me anyway sad

19. NaomiR profile image75
    NaomiRposted 14 years ago

I always seem to get bitten in that spot right in the middle of my back where I can't reach!

20. manlypoetryman profile image81
    manlypoetrymanposted 14 years ago

Say Misty...I hate the lil' b_st_rds...and in Texas...well let's juz' say that sometimes you can look down at your uncovered arm...and see it solid with the lil' blood suckers.

You know what I hate about them...(Oh yeah...I'm about to go off on them!):

1. That they can know how to secretly fly around to the back of your neck, arm, or leg...when you are being vigil about swatting them.
    2. That they can disappear right in front of you in small area (car, bathroom) seemingly into thin air...and then turn around and bite you!
    3. That buzzing female mosquito that gets in your ear.

let me tell ya' about a "backpacker's remedy" that will help...but i suggest you do your own research. You can repel them naturally...using natural ingredients in your blood that they can't stand! (of course...in the right amounts!):

1. Vitamin B-1 or B-6...(I just make sure I'm taking a B-Complex)
    2. Potassium (They hate it! You can usually get enough of this in bananas or potatoes to help do the trick!)
    3. garlic works really well...as well!

Of course, you would want to control your levels of Vitamins B/potassium..and even garlic...but trust me...this works. I used this combo when I was camping all summer in some deep woods of East Texas near a river...and it worked like a charm. And, I still make sure to do this at home in the summertime...'cause I'm always out in my backyard. You might get a few brave lil' buggers try to bite you with this...but they can't finish the job..because of what is in your bloodstream...Try It!

Hey...I'm going to save this for a Hub someday...Hope it helps!

Thanks for the tips, great stuff. The garlic never works for me, and I use it a whole load in cooking, but might try the bananas as you are the second person to suggest them now. big_smile

21. manlypoetryman profile image81
    manlypoetrymanposted 14 years ago

Good luck, Misty...The key is to combine them all! (And of course...having the right amounts in the bloodstream of each!)

I might try the Vitamin B too, but goodness knows how I suss out what the correct amounts of each are, will have to experiment I guess, and hope my blood supply lasts out until I get it right!

22. profile image0

How 'bout the Aloe? Did that work?

Damn, I knew I forgot something before bed last night, and now I have about five new bites in awkward places!

1. profile image0

See? I don't want to say I told ya so, but, ......

23. mayhmong profile image76
    mayhmongposted 14 years ago

Ahaha! WTF? I have no explanation as to why that occured. Maybe its because you're so sweet!

LOL, obviously sweeter than I thought Mayhmong, just in all the wrong places!

24. profile image0

awkward places, hmm?

Put it this way, my latest series of bites (apart from one smack bang in the middle of my forehead), are right at the top of my inner thigh...., right where the elastic to my panties rests, it itches like crazy, which is potentially very embarrassing!!!

1. profile image0

That WOULD be awkward, to say the least.

You are not kidding, I don't want to be seen frantically scratching what might appear to be my groin, people might think I have crabs rather than mosquitoes!!!

25. profile image0

echo, echo, echo.....

26. prettydarkhorse profile image62
    prettydarkhorseposted 14 years ago

in my face at times and it is swollen

I swell up too PDC. Last year I got bitten just to the side of my nose, right by my eye tissue. I ended up looking like a Klingon from Star Trek, as all my forehead and eye tissue (both sides), puffed right up, and I had to keep explaining to people that my Husband hadn't punched me!!

1. prettydarkhorse profile image62
        prettydarkhorseposted 14 years agoin reply to this

thats too bad, maybe we have both an allergy to bites, because people have different reactions to it?

27. profile image0
    Poppa Bluesposted 14 years ago

Mosquitoes aren't so bad! Try taking a walk on a calm, hot humid summer night along the shore. I've spent hours in the dark casting to fish while thousands of no-see-ums fed hungrily on my face, crawling in my eyes, my nose, my ears, and my hair leaving behind welts on top of welts, and surprisingly, sometimes, it was well worth it!

I got bitten whilst fishing last year,(freshwater fishing though), and it really wasn't worth it if you had seen my face the next day LOL big_smile

28. profile image0

Well, you did vocalize what I was thinking. Um, I'm glad you said that and not me ;p

LOL, I usually just say it like it is wink

29. profile image0

That, I have recently learned, is true.  ; )

30. profile image0

BZZZZzzzzzZZZZZzzzzzzzZZZZZzz......Swat!

31. jaybojas profile image60
    jaybojasposted 14 years ago

i think they(mosquitoes)figured that if they go there they will have plenty time to feast.  They wont have enough time feasting on your arms or any visible part.

LOL, are you saying my love life is non existant jaybojas wink

32. profile image0

Hmm, I encountered this very same scenario in another online venue a year or two ago, Misty.

Did you, glad it isn't just me then. I mean I went back and read mistywild's posts, (of which there weren't many at all on this thread), and I didn't see any resemblence in style of wording any more than with any other Hubber. I am sure it is only the name that might have caused this suggestion of us being one and the same. Personally I have enough trouble keeping up with just my one Hub account, more than that would be a nightmare. LOL

1. profile image0

Amen. In another online place,a friend of mine thought that a ladyfriend he was um, very close to, and was a mutual friend of ours, was involved with me, too(um, no) and he got all bent out of shape over it. He said that the two persons shared identicle mannerisms. There were several hundred people on this venue, mind you. Very disturbing.

Golly, how awful, did you convince him in the end?

1. profile image0

No. But, eventually he just let it go, or so I think, anyhoo.

Perhaps he finally believed her!

1. profile image0

I hope so. sad

I see our cute racing sheep have morphed in Captain Kirk!! Very "Enterprising" of you LOL

So the Cute sheep are back then!!! Captain Kirk has beamed off to God knows where big_smile

33. Cris A profile image58
    Cris Aposted 14 years ago

Because they can. They won't if they can't.   cool

True enough smile

1. Cris A profile image58
        Cris Aposted 14 years agoin reply to this

And I was wondering what are "the worst places"? cool

LOL, on the bum, around the top of the legs by the knicker line etc

34. r2moo2 profile image59
    r2moo2posted 14 years ago

I hate mosquitoes.

When I was serving my National Service as a soldier, there are some weird breed of mosquitoes that bite through our clothes!

And where are the worst places? Places where you can't scratch at will!

These pesky 'commando' mosquitoes bit me through the cloth, and through my underwear, right at my butt! I had a hard time scratching through the fabric of my uniform, and the itch never seemed to subside.

Pesky mosquitoes. I hate them.

Me too smile

35. Brian Leighton profile image59
    Brian Leightonposted 14 years ago

They tend to go for the softest areas of skin which are easier to penetrate. It is unfortunate but true that these softer skind areas tend to be the worst places...

Explains the buttocks then smile

36. Michael Willis profile image67
    Michael Willisposted 14 years ago

I hate mosquitos!  They are bad here where I live. They seem to find you no matter what. Miss just the smallest part of you with spray and they attack it and bite you.
    Here is a link to a Mosquito Swat Game where you can at least feel a little revenge. lol
    http://www.free-games-on-line.com/mosqu … quito.html

Cheers for the link, will have to give it a go. smile

37. lawretta profile image61
    lawrettaposted 14 years ago

BECAUSE THEY ARE BAD!

1. profile image0

Are you part of the Anti-Mosquito League? big_smile

Well I doubt Lawretta is any part of either an Anti-Sheep or an Anti-Captain Kirk league... do you??? big_smile big_smile big_smile

2. Paradise7 profile image69
      Paradise7posted 14 years agoin reply to this

And...BECAUSE THEY CAN!!!

HAHA, GOTCHA THEY SAY. ZUB ZUB.

LOL, good point smile

38. jenblacksheep profile image69
    jenblacksheepposted 14 years ago

When I was away over August I got absolutely bitten alive. I had over 30 bites on one arm ... you can imagine what the rest of me was like!! 3 months later and the bites still havent gone yet!

And if you are anything like me you will look like you have measles or chicken pox, in other words, covered in alarming red bumps that itch like hell!! Am I right???

39. Paradise7 profile image69
    Paradise7posted 14 years ago

You know what?  When we were kids and out in the woods and got bit like crazy, Mom could give us a shallow bath in baking soda water, and the bites would be gone the next day.  I'm not sure why.  But it worked.  An old home remedy I just remembered.

I think I'll try that too. Cheers smile

40. jenblacksheep profile image69
    jenblacksheepposted 14 years ago

I itched like absolute crazy while I was away. I didn't really sleep most nights coz I was so itchy. That probably made it worse. I couldn't sleep in my bed (under the mosquito net) so I would sleep during the day in a hammock, unprotected and probably got bitten even more. I had circles and horseshoe shaped patterns of bites where a mosquito had clearly just been making its way round!!

Yes, I think alarming is definitely the word I would use to describe the state of my legs!!

41. Katelyn Weel profile image90
    Katelyn Weelposted 14 years ago

I have to admit if I was reincarnated as a tiny, insignificant blood sucking pest I would probably live my little life to its fullest and bite every higher being in the worst places I could possibly reach.

I'm bitter like that tongue

42. 321gofish profile image61
    321gofishposted 14 years ago

I think you may be mistaken about the critter's that bit you.
    Not saying it was not mosquitoes that bit you on your bum.

This sounds more like Red Bugs, what we call here in the south,"Chiggers".

You can get red bugs "chiggers" just by walking through tall grass or walking in the woods.

They love to reach those let's say, "Private areas".
    Why? I don't know, but they do itch for days.

The best treatment I have found is to coat the bite area with clear fingernail polish. This smothers the bugs so they can't get any air, or so I am told. However, it really does help stop the itching.

FYI: Clear fingernail polish works on poison oak and ivy too.

Thanks for the advice, but we don't have red bugs (chiggers), over here either, so it can't be them. I am pretty convinced now it may have a been a rogue flea, as since I sprayed our house the bites have ceased, (fingers crossed).

43. hublim profile image68
    hublimposted 14 years ago

Mosquitoes are a pain in the ass.

Insects have a field day with me when I’m on holiday and living in Scotland we also have the Midges, who are apparently immune to any insect repellent.

http://ipm.ncsu.edu/AG369/pics/biting_midges.gif

44. The Bard profile image65
    The Bardposted 14 years ago

I haven't read all the posts here, but I like the idea of Mosquito Net Pyjamas. Unfortunately they would have to look like a baby's jump suit. After all, ankles, wrists, neck etc would all have to be covered. My experience of mosquito bites are generally around those areas - especially ankles and elbows. And in a very hot climate it could be quite suffocating. Still - an interesting thought!

Apart from the obvious like insect repellent (applied - not imbibed), Marmite is an excellent defence. I kid you not! Them mozzies either love it or hate it, and more often than not it works.

Just make sure you have a supply. (You're supposed to eat it by the way, not spread it thinly on external areas!) Failing that, vinegar is very effective, although the smell may not be agreeable. Best to get drunk first, and then get truly pickled!

Also, remember that mosquitoes in the tropics, over 400ft above sea level do not carry malaria, so in essence, they're no worse than suffering midge bites in the highlands of Scotland - and a lot less annoying. Itch is bad - true, but again, just apply some vinegar and you'll be fine. You may not be very popular, but you'll have to weigh that up with the pros and cons wink

Love it, great ideas. Actually we don't have malaria here even though we are far from "in the tropics" (I wish), so these mozzies are simply annoying (if it is a mozzie and not a flea), but I do loooovvvveee marmite, so no worries with eating that just in case.

45. profile image0

Breatheable Mosquito Pj's, such an ingenious idea! big_smile

Great idea I agree Denn066 big_smile

46. LOT2DO profile image38
    LOT2DOposted 14 years ago

Could it be that mosquitoes constantly keep doing research about human body?

1. profile image0

They're the next intelligence....lol

Heaven Help Us!!!

Interesting idea, makes you wonder. smile

47. profile image0

It's time the Empire strikes back lol

Hmmmm, I hope not smile

1. profile image0

Why? The rebellion is the Mosquito Cadre.  lol

You really are one crazy dude aren't you ???

1. profile image0

I have been sitting home every day since I became unemployed over a month ago. big_smile

Going "stir crazy" then I guess. My advice.... write more hubs, write more hubs, write more hubs......... that is how I survive as I can't work right now either smile

1. profile image0

Oh? Are you okay? As to the advice, I'm suffering a huge writer's block right now and I was going to continue my The Ten series but the reception has been dismal, so.....

I am okay thanks, just signed off for long term depression, anxiety, stress etc. I get writer's block frequently too, but sometimes the "Ideas Bank" here on hubpages can help, or simply reading the newspaper, the Internet etc, looking for things that jump out to you as "interesting". It all depends on what you enjoy writing about. Do you have any hobbies you count yourself as pretty good at??? If so write about those so others might give them a try too. Write about "Writers block" if you have to, it may produce some interesting results. You could even write about your feelings after becoming unemployed, (might help someone else to read about your experiences, you never know).

Just a few ideas wink

1. profile image0

Thanks a bunch, but I think the real crux of the biscuit is that I just don't have the motivation to write at the moment. I have no idea how those that write for a living do it. Sorry to hear about what you're going through. sad

48. profile image0

Well, I'll bulldoze through this malaise. Just checking. If all's well, then all's well. big_smile

49. Madan K R profile image57
    Madan K Rposted 4 years ago

I think the thickness of pyjamas are so thin which helped mosquito to bite.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)