jump to last post 1-5 of 5 discussions (6 posts)

1. elayne001 profile image45
    elayne001posted 6 years ago

I got a warning that I had too many tags on my hub. How many is too many? I try to find as many tags as possible that are related. How does it affect us?

1. LiamBean profile image88
      LiamBeanposted 6 years ago in reply to this

Too many tags is actually detrimental. Google could actually 'neglect' to include a link to your site for too many tags.

The best thing to do is use the following link to figure out the best tags to use and try to keep it under ten.

The "keyword tool" above allows you to enter a word or phrase and then get a list of keywords. Sometimes the keywords themselves are phrases.

2. 0
    Janettaposted 6 years ago

most things I've read suggest somewhere between 15 and 20. it's up to you. Just make sure they are relevant.

3. SandyMcCollum profile image85
    SandyMcCollumposted 6 years ago

Only use keywords that are used in your title, subtitles, lead paragraph and summary. You can use more words than that, but it won't do you any good if they aren't already in your text in these areas. So unless you have really long, wordy titles, subtitles, etc. you won't want a lot of keywords.

Try to make your titles out of keywords, instead of making a title and finding keywords for it.

4. RedElf profile image86
    RedElfposted 6 years ago

There are lots of good Hubs on this -  get yourself Google Keyword Tool and use it in your research. It's free!

When you have an idea for a title, check out the tags (keywords) and see what comes up - If the CPM (click-pay-rate) is low or it doesn't get enough hits, try some different words. Then figure out your title. I have read that anything over 20 tags is a waste of time, and 30 is the most you should ever have.

Some people use less and do extremely well, some people use up to 30. I try to stay in the 15 or less area. Better to have a few really good ones than a big bunch of weak ones.

Check out some long time hubbers with high scoring hubs and see what they tend to use. Look at relache, Mark Knowles, Nelle Hoxie, darkside, frogdropping. to get a real sampling of different styles and approaches.

Good luck!

5. relache profile image86
    relacheposted 6 years ago

You want the tags that are the most-closely relevant, not as many as you can think of. 

And if you use the same words or phrases too many times, that will wind up hurting your Hubs.  Some sites that report on search engines say not to use a word or its variations more than three times in your tags.