My cat died today :(

Jump to Last Post 1-41 of 41 discussions (55 posts)
  1. profile image0
    ryankettposted 14 years ago

He was 17 years old, and my best friend sad

He didn't even die in a nice way... I feel so upset.... he got hit by a car and had to be put down an hour or so ago...

1. LiamBean profile image80
      LiamBeanposted 14 years agoin reply to this

That really sucks ryan!

If it's any consolation seventeen is a very long life for a cat.

I'm sure he had a good one with you too.

2. fyxer profile image59
      fyxerposted 14 years agoin reply to this

sorry to hear about your loss,pet can be ones closest friend i lost a pet about thirty years ago and even though so many years has passed i still think about him every now and then--my dog his name was--lion.

3. profile image56
      Sunny Baldwinposted 14 years agoin reply to this

so very sad. I am truely sorry. It is hard to lose a fur friend of so many years. I too have a best budcat. We have been together now 20 years. His name is Beavis the Butthead. He drools, has no front teeth, horrible breath,a crabby disposition,and has never once sat on my lap. He is however still very healthy for his age and has always been the most loyal friend I have ever had. Remember your pal with the love and devotion that he gave to you and in days to come, the pain will ease into only pleasant memories of your best friend.

1. profile image0
        ryankettposted 14 years agoin reply to this

That sounds like Ralph, he had hardly any teeth, dribbled, had *ahem* toilet troubles, bad breath, was slow and lazy, but he was still a happy and healthy cat.... he was just an old man. Although sitting on my lap and sleeping on me was a daily occurance.... his old age is no consolation though, because the vet told me that he still had a few very healthy years left sad

4. profile image0
      zampanoposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Sorry about your cat, kid.
      17 years is a very honorable age for a cat to live.

Mine was called felix and when he was young, there was a question about castrating him.
      At the time, I lived in a house with my wife and my two daughters. Me and three women...
      I was rather happy watching him go out at night and coming back at no hours. I always fed him when he came back at night (I often worked in my home bureau very late) and my wife used to say half jokingly that he was my alter-ego.
      Once in a while he would just stay a couple days away. It was always a joy when he came back. Sometimes a bit banged up.
      We had a pretty good relation. He was a small kitty when he came live with us and I used to spend hours playing with him.
      I was so violently opposed to his castration that my women plus the veterinary (who is a woman too) just stopped talking about it.
      And we had 5 peaceful years. Felix and us.
      Well he was absolutely free and somehow I was happy with that situation.
      But one day he started to thin, having infection over infection and the veterinary diagnosed a kind of cat's aids.
      Before his 5th birthday we had to get him injected to die.
      He was so weakened, he could barely stand. The veterinary told us that was the only solution, because he would never heal and the rest of his life would be made of painful sickness.
      Today, my daughters are 24 and 23 and we still recall felix as one of the family sometimes when we gather together.
      Sorry but I could'n help telling you this, Ryan.
      Get a kitty, maybe

1. profile image0

Definitely no kitty! I still have one cat.... shes only 9.... and if that one goes, it will be a dog.... next one is defo a dog wink Probably a whippet... I would get a St Bernard but it would probably cost me $10 a day to feed one of those!

Sorry to hear about your cat too, but hey... I bet he had a fair bit of fun at some stage lol sorry, shouldn't laugh but it's better than being upset? 

You are right though, they are a member of the family, just like a cousin or an uncle or a best friend, they have their own personalities and memories just like us... and a underestimated loyalty.

5. profile image0
      Brenda Durhamposted 14 years agoin reply to this

I'm so sorry!
      I had a cat named Ashes for 15 years or so.  Had to have him put to sleep a few years back.
      I cried and cried.
      I know how you feel.

6. Luciendasky profile image60
      Luciendaskyposted 14 years agoin reply to this

I am so sorry... I hope you are ok....

7. Friendlyword profile image59
      Friendlywordposted 14 years agoin reply to this

I left my window open for a minute and mine was gone.  I cried for 2 days.  My sister gave me a kitten on the third day. It made the pain tens times easier to bear.  Get you a Kitten right away.

I was upset when my family suggested it to me. I said I would never have another cat again.  No cat could replace my Miss Charlotte.  But, my sister walked into my house with my little Pearl.  That was all she wrote. Trust me, it helps.

8. keira7 profile image61
      keira7posted 14 years agoin reply to this

Hi Ryan, my son lost his cat 2 years ago and I do understand how you feel. I am so sorry. Take care my friend and be strong. God Bless.

2. Miss Belgravia profile image60
    Miss Belgraviaposted 14 years ago

Ryankett -- I'm so sorry. I've loved and lost many pets over the years, and it's never easy. I too had a 17-year-old cat, who died the day before I had planned to have him put to sleep. He was kind enough to save me from that last difficult act. When I have lost a beloved pet, I have always consoled myself by knowing that although their lives are too short, the years they had with me were better than they would have been with anyone else. As time goes on, you will remember all the good things about your cat, and forget about the end. The love and care you showed him for those 17 years is what is important, not the sad ending. Take care.

1. profile image0

Thanks for your reply, I am telling myself how well loved he was and how easy his life was, I know that he could have had a much shorter life - especially as a British born cat, we have much more congestion so many get run over! I think it's just the way that he died, I feel so bad about that, It's not even selfish remorse.... It's not because I am going to miss him (although I am) its just that he would have had a lot less pain etc.. if he had health problems and we put him to sleep.

He got hit full on in the head, but not his body, and he was still moving about and stuff... but his head was mangled and the vet said that he was brain damaged. Its strange because I didnt actually see any of this, my neighbours found him and took him to the vets... who then gave him the injection. I cant work out if I am glad that I didnt see it or if I wished I had seen it, because I would have known that it was the right thing. I think its just that I would rather him have died instantly instead of experiencing bad injuries, much like I would if I had a high speed car crash and was badly brain damaged...

1. profile image0
        Leta Sposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Poor thing.  I've had two cats that died in not nice ways--one was run over, but she died instantly.

sad  One thing I guess you can say is that your cat had a very long and happy life.  Many don't.

Aaaaaaah. sad

3. TimTurner profile image69
    TimTurnerposted 14 years ago

Oh wow...sorry to hear that sad

He's still with you though!

4. RooBee profile image83
    RooBeeposted 14 years ago

Sorry to hear, Ryan, that really sucks big time sad - Hopefully he's enjoying that great big ball of string in the sky...
    Glad he had a long life with a caring companion like you!

5. profile image0

Cheers Roobee and TimTurner, unfortunately I am an athiest so I don't believe that he is still with me - my girlfriend is telling herself that he is in 'cat heaven' so I am happy to play along.... but I just keep telling myself that if my company gave him half as much pleasure as his gave to me then he would have had a good life.

I have pretty much been expecting the day for a few years now, 17 years is a very long time for his breed, but I never expected to be this upset to be honest.... but he was part of the family sad

6. SandyMcCollum profile image63
    SandyMcCollumposted 14 years ago

So so so so sorry! ((((HUG))))

I had a 17yo and the exact same thing happened, but mine was a she named HOBO.

Sending healing vibes your way, till you two meet up again one day. (((((((((((((((((((((((((

*Sandy

7. Bard of Ely profile image80
    Bard of Elyposted 14 years ago

I am very sorry to hear this too, Ryankett! I have lost cats and I know how much it hurts!

8. Uninvited Writer profile image79
    Uninvited Writerposted 14 years ago

I'm sorry Ryan. It's hard to lose a pet, especially when being hit by a car. 17 is a good life for a cat though and you will always have your memories of him.

9. wrenfrost56 profile image58
    wrenfrost56posted 14 years ago

Thats so sad sad  I'm so sorry to hear you had to go through that.

10. profile image0

Thanks for the support guys, I know that he had a good innings! Still hard though, because us humans have something called 'emotions'.... my girlfriend was attached to him too, is crying lots and stuff....

We still have 1 cat left (Ezzy), but if I am honest.... Ralph (the deceased) was everybodies favourite. Ezzy will be in for lots of attention for a while though, she has lots of love too.... not sure that she is clever enough to understand where Ralph went though!

11. rebekahELLE profile image84
    rebekahELLEposted 14 years ago

oh.. so sorry Ryan.. so hard to lose a pet. really big hugs~~~
    amazing you had him for 17 years, wow, no wonder it's so hard.
    my heart to you.

12. rmcrayne profile image90
    rmcrayneposted 14 years ago

So sorry for your loss Ryan.  I can only imagine the additional emotions caused, as you said, by it being by a car instead of natural causes.  In time, I hope that the memories of the happy times surpass the sorrow.

13. profile image0
    EmpressFelicityposted 14 years ago

It's always horrible when one of your cats dies, no matter how good an innings they had.  Our three are well into their teens so the next few years could mean one or more of them pop their clogs.  Not looking forward to that at all sad

14. blondepoet profile image67
    blondepoetposted 14 years ago

I am so sorry to hear of your loss, animals are not just animals they are part of our family. I believe in animal heaven, and he will be up there running through the fields.. smile smile

15. profile image0

Cheers guys for your supportive messages.

Maybe I could bring myself to believe in an animal god, far removed from any human religion, and that way he can go to 'cat heaven' without the bible having anything to do with it.

I do love the idea of him still being here spiritually, but I just wouldn't be able to relate that to myself remaining anywhere spiritually after death.

Maybe a bit of intense reading is needed tomorrow.... I could write a hub on my experiences of grieving over him or something, could help others....

16. Sally's Trove profile image79
    Sally's Troveposted 14 years ago

My last kitty, Ed, died May 22, 2008. He was just about your kitty's age, but his going was different.  He'd been ill for a long time.

I want to share with you some words that helped my through my pain when Ed died.  These words were given to me in writing by the emergency care facility that helped Ed through his final hours.

These words made me cry that day, but in the days that have passed, I've gathered strength from them.

My heart is with you.

http://www.rainbowbridge.com/Poem.htm

1. profile image0

Many thanks for that, I will pass that over to my girlfriend... she is more upset than me, and believes in 'cat heaven'

17. Mighty Mom profile image77
    Mighty Momposted 14 years ago

Oh Ryan, Your posts break my little cat-loving heart.
    So many "what if's" and "if only's" in your post.
    It ALWAYS hurts to lose a pet. Whether they've only lived with you for a few days or have been your loyal companion for 17 years. (I've experienced both).
    And, in my experience, it doesn't really matter how the pet dies. It's always a shock in the end. I think we take it much harder than animals.Goes back to that "emotions" thing you mentioned.

Be gentle with yourself and with your girlfriend and with Ezzy.
    You've lost a member of your family!

If you feel up to it, maybe you could write a HUB about the experience. Hubbing about grief can be really, really cathartic!
    Hugs to you, MM

18. profile image0

Cheers everyone for your kind words.... hopefully I am now qualified to give people the same support in the future!

19. frogdropping profile image76
    frogdroppingposted 14 years ago

I too am sorry to hear of the loss of your cat Ryan. They become more than just an animal - they inter-twine and become a part of the family.

I echo others ... he had a great life, focus on that.

I lost one of mine in April, her end was also not what I would have wished for her. I cried buckets and even now feel misty eyed when I think of her.

20. blue dog profile image60
    blue dogposted 14 years ago

be strong, ryan.

as you and mighty mom have suggested, put your thoughts at this time into words.  it's very therapeutic, cleansing almost.

21. Zsuzsy Bee profile image85
    Zsuzsy Beeposted 14 years ago

Sorry to hear about your loss Ryan. It sucks when you lose a friend.
    regards Zsuzsy

22. Cagsil profile image70
    Cagsilposted 14 years ago

Sorry to hear that.

23. Dame Scribe profile image58
    Dame Scribeposted 14 years ago

Sorry to hear of losing such a friend, RK sad least you can take comfort knowing he has your love.

24. lrohner profile image69
    lrohnerposted 14 years ago

I am so sorry to hear about your loss, Ryan. Big hugs.

25. habee profile image93
    habeeposted 14 years ago

Oh, Ryan - I'm so sorry to  hear that. I know how it is to give your heart to an animal. Sending a cyber hug!

26. profile image0
    cosetteposted 14 years ago

sad

i'm so sorry about your sweet little (((cat))). sad

http://i37.tinypic.com/qrna6c.jpg

http://i35.tinypic.com/35mi8n4.jpg

27. Jane@CM profile image62
    Jane@CMposted 14 years ago

Ryan, I am so sorry.  Thinking of you.

28. profile image0

Thanks to everybody else for their messages....

29. profile image0
    zampanoposted 14 years ago

Good !
    You still got one to cherish.

1. profile image0

Oops, just edited my reply wink

30. Ron Montgomery profile image59
    Ron Montgomeryposted 14 years ago

http://www.betterhealth.vic.gov.au/bhcv2/bhcpostcards.nsf/(Graphics)/condolences.jpg/$FILE/condolences.jpg

31. habee profile image93
    habeeposted 14 years ago

Ryan, when you're selecting a dog, consider a Great Dane. They're big, but they don't eat much because they're such couch potatoes. I've written several hubs about mine if you'd like to learn more about the breed.

I know you and your other kitty will miss the departed one.

32. thranax profile image72
    thranaxposted 14 years ago

Sorry about your cat Ryan.

~thranax~

33. profile image0
    A Texanposted 14 years ago

We have a 17 year old cat also!

Sorry about your cat Ryan!

34. Cheeky Chick profile image60
    Cheeky Chickposted 14 years ago

Oh Ryan, I know how much this hurts.  Ralph sounds like he was an extraordinary cat and a true friend.  There's really nothing that compares to the love one gets from a pet. 

If I could, I would reach out and give you a hug, and cry with you for a bit.  I am tearful right now just reading about how you lost your beloved cat.

The only thing that has helped me deal with a loss like this is pouring all that love and emotion onto another pet.  I'm glad you have Ezzy.  Ezzy will help you get through this.

Good luck.  My thoughts are with you.

XOXO

Cheeky

35. Lisa HW profile image62
    Lisa HWposted 14 years ago

Ryan, so sorry to hear that.  I know what it's like to lose a long-time "friend".  My most recent one was my fifteen-year-old cat, and - really - I couldn't believe how awful I felt.

I just kept telling myself that we're all here on "on our own, individual, terms" and that it was not within my power to do anything about her dying.  Thinking about how they were among the animals who had someone care about them can help.  So many animals don't have that.   There's no getting it around it, though, it's a rotten thing to lose a pet.

36. profile image0
    B.C. BOUTIQUEposted 14 years ago

Oh my gosh..You just brought a tear to my eye..you made me remember how my daughters Tonkinese cat, "Joker" passed away, he snuck out of the house ( all my animals are inside pets, the dogs go out to "potty" and exercise, but always under supervision) and the neighbor up the road had a baited illegal kill trap..his head was squashed immedialy and my daughters boyfriend found him..I wasnt even allowed to see the cat burried..all i know is me and my daughter had to stay inside while my husband and her boyfriend cut the trap to peices to get Joker out and bury him..I turned them in to the ASPCA because kill traps are illegal in Ohio..you can only have catch and release, or HUMANE, traps..
    I really feel for you, Im so sorry to hear this has happened

37. NaomiR profile image74
    NaomiRposted 14 years ago

I'm so sorry, Ryan. Having lost two myself, I know how much this hurts.

38. emievil profile image66
    emievilposted 14 years ago

Sorry to hear that Ryan.

39. profile image0
    Crazdwriterposted 14 years ago

Oh Ryan sweety! I am sooo sorry you had to lose your pet that way. *HUGS* I am here for you sweety!

40. sabrebIade profile image79
    sabrebIadeposted 14 years ago

I'm sorry Ryan....
    We do animal rescues and we have seen so many little friends come and go.
    We've cared for sick ones no one else wanted and been there for their last moments.
    It never gets easy.
    I really do know how you feel.
    I'm even to starting to mist up typing this.
    I wish I had a magic word to make all your pain go away.

41. Colebabie profile image60
    Colebabieposted 14 years ago

Oh Ryan, I'm sorry. Once I was driving down the road and saw a cat in the middle of the street who had been hit by a car. I pulled over, ran into the street, grabbed her in my arms and ran to the sidewalk. She was breathing and looked at me, but she was just too hurt. I took off her pink collar and held her in my arms. I was just glad she didn't have to die alone.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)