jump to last post 1-7 of 7 discussions (8 posts)

Broken Links

1. iantoPF profile image87
    iantoPFposted 6 years ago

I recently published a hub about Quenya, the Elvish language invented by J R R Tolkien. I wrote it on Word then cut and pasted to my Hub. The article referred to Tolkien's mastery of languages and I listed the languages he was fluent in as well as the languages he gave courses in. However when I pasted my finished work onto the Hub those languages all appeared as links and they all lead to an error page.
    Any idea how I can fix this.
    The hub is;

Thanx for any advice.

2. R P Chapman profile image59
    R P Chapmanposted 6 years ago

It appears that your piece is derived from a wikipedia article that you've obviously changed but kept their links.

Their links on the page http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/J_R_R_Tolkien (which I suspect may be the source) are relational. That means they use ../ instead of the domain root before pointing to the file.

By copying these rational links your article is pointing to pages on hubpages.com that obviously don't exist. Using the full root urls will solve the problem.

3. iantoPF profile image87

Thank you. You are quite correct in the source. I wanted to mention his linguistic abilities so I took the lazy way and copied and pasted from wikipedia. I had no idea that those links would be copied too.
    Thanks again. At least I can fix it now.
    Best Wishes...............Ianto.

1. sunforged profile image69
      sunforgedposted 6 years ago in reply to this

the easy fix is to highlight all the links at once and then hit the broken chain icon

u didnt seem as if you wanted the links to be live right?

4. iantoPF profile image87

Thank you for answering. I never knew the links would exist. What I did, newbie innocence, I took the list from wikipedia, copied and pasted to my word document, then used the word tools to remove the highlights and underlines. It never occurred to me that links would appear on my Hub. When they did I assumed they were automatically generated by HubPages.
    I guess live links would be nice but I have no idea how to do that so I'll go ahead and try your fix.
    Thanks again.

5. R P Chapman profile image59
    R P Chapmanposted 6 years ago

Hi Ian,

Pleased you're sorted out now. Just one last tip that you might find useful when copying content to edit in Word. If you copy the text and paste it into Notepad first, this will strip out all the formating and links in one go. Then you can recopy from Notepad to Word and all you get is the text.

6. iantoPF profile image87

Gentlemen I can't begin to tell you how much I appreciate the kindness of you both. I've looked around the forums and I don't get involved because of the sheer natiness I read there. So I was a little nervous about coming here for help. You both have been very helpful and I do thank you.
    Best Wishes...........Ianto

7. elayne001 profile image46
    elayne001posted 6 years ago

now, that's what I call chivalry - you men rock!!