jump to last post 1-13 of 13 discussions (16 posts)

Sleep-deprived writers?

1. Hope Wilbanks profile image82
    Hope Wilbanksposted 6 years ago

Just wondering if there are any others out there who are as sleep-deprived as I am right now. My son has been sick with a double ear infection for a few days now and I've barely had 2-3 hours of sleep a night since Wednesday. I thought about writing a few articles a couple of hours ago, since I am awake, but decided against it because I'm not sure I can string together a coherent thought right now.

Do you write when you're sleep-deprived? Or do you wait until you're rested and your brain is refreshed? smile

1. prettydarkhorse profile image64
      prettydarkhorseposted 6 years ago in reply to this

hi! I rest first, am very slow when I am sleep deprived,  then in the morning where my brain works faster and there is silence in the house i can write faster and think faster too.

2. tksensei profile image60
      tksenseiposted 6 years ago in reply to this

Sleep deprived is the best time to write! (or drunk)

2. dave272727 profile image60
    dave272727posted 6 years ago

Both.  Im at work right now and work a 5 week on 5 week off rotation.  12 hour days when I am at work.  So I do a lot more writing when I am on shift.

3. Jerilee Wei profile image92
    Jerilee Weiposted 6 years ago

Am plagued with insomnia thannks to cancer meds but use the time to read other hubbers hubs and work on hubs.  Seems like a better use of time than watching tv, etc.

1. caravalhophoto profile image60
      caravalhophotoposted 6 years ago in reply to this

hope all is going well in your treatments Jerilee, I stopped taking Tomoxifin and Femara because I didn't like what it was doing to me, stress is my biggest factor now, but totally understand the meds.

I also have a hard time forming a quality sentence when sleep deprived, I have been up since 3:45 am, seems to be the magic time for me, so I take the time to read others work and learn and get inspired.  I have started many hubs, only to read them when rested and either delete or save for later, glad I didn't publish.

Anyway, to all us sleep deprived writers...I believe the most famous writers in our history were also...if that helps, I am tired.

4. brad4l profile image83
    brad4lposted 6 years ago

Ear infections are no fun, I feel for your youngins. I actually got two a few months ago and was miserable for about a week.

In terms of writing when sleep deprived, I find that I am not as well suited to write quality content, so instead try to focus on things like proofreading or design when I am really tired or not feeling up to writing...

5. thisisoli profile image73
    thisisoliposted 6 years ago

i lose the will to write when I am short on sleep, so tend to write short articles for my PR only websites.

It's all good though!

6. AEvans profile image74
    AEvansposted 6 years ago

I write when I am sleep deprived and when I am alert, I believe I am more deprived of sleep then many. lololol smile

7. The Bard profile image77
    The Bardposted 6 years ago

Whenever I'm looking for inspiration I make a provacive post. The replies will reanimate you and get your juices flowing. Don't worry if you don't become flavour of the month. After all, supposing you were in a pub, standing at the bar, and conversing with the barflies. It's fodder for the writer.

No booze here, but the next best thing.

Btw, I often fly on Royal Brunei Airlines. Why? Because jetlag confuses your time zones and there's no booze, but the wealth of material is intoxicating! Hic!

8. 0
    Crazdwriterposted 6 years ago

I am both though usually these days I write with a sleep-deprived brain because sadly I have been diagnosed with partial insonia...hopefully it doesn't turn into full flegded insomnia.

But yes I do write with a sleep deprived as well as a fresh mind...when I do get sleep lol

9. Money Glitch profile image89
    Money Glitchposted 6 years ago

I write when I'm sleep deprived if an idea hits me and with a fresh mind, as well. I would prefer to write with a fresh mind, but my creativity seems to come alive late at night. There have been many nights, I find myself writing at 3 a.m. because I loose track of the time.

10. Dame Scribe profile image60
    Dame Scribeposted 6 years ago

I get way too crabby when tired lol nobody dare disturbs me if I am sleeping tongue rest is too important for my health so avoid being sleep deprived hmm n prefer to write while alert n energized. Sorry to hear of your babies sad hope they get better soon.

11. Hope Wilbanks profile image82
    Hope Wilbanksposted 6 years ago

Well I'm sorry to hear there are more sleep-deprived writers than me, but at least I don't feel alone. tongue My son seems to be feeling better, thanks.

12. Choke Frantic profile image88
    Choke Franticposted 6 years ago

I generally write whenever I'm in the mood for it - gotta catch on to the feeling, you know? When I write when I'm tired, I end up usually being rather sarcastic and my writing is of a much poorer quality. You can probably pick out which of my hubs have been done at 3 AM =]

13. Gemsong profile image84
    Gemsongposted 6 years ago

I have determined that sleep is for normals. I have mild insomnia. I just hope an idea hits me. November is my most sleep deprived month. My problem is that when I'm trying to sleep my mind whirls with ideas and it takes forever to get to sleep.

I have tried warm milk but I'm lactose intolerant. smile