jump to last post 1-5 of 5 discussions (8 posts)

It's Life Jim etc...a final word

1. The Bard profile image77
    The Bardposted 6 years ago

An element of my original post on that thread has been hijacked and suggests I am being heartless for the plight of a young boy with cancer. This is a classic example how some can jump on a word or phrase and turn it around.

My point has been lost in that debate. I didn't post to cast criticism on the child in question. In fact it is offensive to insinuate that I do not have any feeling for this young chap.

However, there are millions of children in dire straits, everyone of whom would love one fraction of the sympathy generated there. My point was something very different, and I despair that emotional and barbed responses has led to a flurry of mob hysteria.

Kindly re-read that original post, view and analyse it with reason. Refrain from perceived witty retorts and if that is impossible then just ignore it.

There are some here who thrive on sarcasm and other similar forms of veiled derogatory expression and appear to revel in it.

Fair enough. I'm not offended, merely disappointed.

As that thread is now closed, I do not wish to revive it, but I would like to state my case against the accusations of being heartless to that young person, who unfortunately got caught up in the discussion.

I'm a father and have suffered pain watching helpless when my kids have been ill - one very seriously! However I don't wear those experiences on my sleeve.

2. Luciendasky profile image61
    Luciendaskyposted 6 years ago

I definitely understand what you are saying... and I don't think you were heartless... I am sorry that your child was ill and that you had to feel that pain.

I think what we were confused (and a little hurt) about how you said that some of us were only using it as a twitter-type page, and by using the word bump a lot.

A few of us feel that perhaps not everyone has seen the page yet and we would like to keep the forum near the top while little Noah is still with us, so that we can help him in some way. As I can only speak for myself, I don't claim to be a great person - in fact, I see myself as a average person with no greatness... I am not trying to advertise myself in any way, but I wanted to help in supporting Noah (the one thing I could)

We kept bumping the thread to help spread awareness. I am sorry if it offended you in any way, but it is what we thought we could do to help.

I agree that many threads do tend to go to things that they didn't begin to be about... and I think that was your original point. Whether that is good or bad, I don't think I have to decide... however, if you want to lead it back into the original direction, I will support you as much as I support those who are friends on here and would like to communicate...

However, the way you stated it in the last post was quite harsh in which you talked about the thread and insinuated that many hubbers are morons because they use the forums different that you. Whether that was your intent, I don't know... but I think a lot of backlash came from the way you stated yourself.

The Bardposted 6 years ago in reply to this

I'm grateful for this reply. I admire your reasoned response, and I accept that I may have inadvertently raised a few shackles originally.

Sometimes I deserve to be shoved off my soap-box. (I say "sometimes"!)

Btw, the child in question (mine I mean) my youngest, is about to celebrate his 20th birthday. There was a time once we thought he would never make it - I'm pleased to say that the grief he gives me today is worth every moment! (even though it may not be mutual!)

1. Luciendasky profile image61
        Luciendaskyposted 6 years ago in reply to this

smile I am very glad that he is ok, and that it is obvious that you treasure him so much smile

Though I have never known any child with a severe disease personally, I understand the pain from my grandmother. Her daughter (my mother) almost died when she was 6, and a "brand new" technique tried at risk saved her life... I must say that I am grateful for that wink

Thank you for posting this thread... it has made me respect you again smile

3. 0
    Justine76posted 6 years ago

smile glad your boy is well.

4. 0
    Denno66posted 6 years ago

Call me ignorant, but, I get such a kick out of our spelling differences. That and the idioms. No offense intended. I truly enjoy the interaction. I can take that soapbox away for you(I could use the firewood). smile

5. darkside profile image84
    darksideposted 6 years ago

By the looks of it I'd say that thread was closed because of the behaviour of Mr 591. You know, that guy that's the photographer who uses a terrible photo of himself as a profile picture.

I wouldn't take the threads closure personally. It could have been worse, they could have left it open and it would have got to about page 5, which is when most threads start to become like a bar. You get to see the effects of a late night, perhaps too many drinks and the place become a pick up joint. The only reason why I think alcohol is involved is because when people telling others that they have a nice smile and there isn't one in the profile photo but it's a comment about a smilie then inebriation is the only logical explanation. I'd hate to think that a smile would be a cause for attraction to a sober mind.

The Bardposted 6 years ago in reply to this

smile I'll drink to that (hic!)

Cheers to an old pal!