jump to last post 1-6 of 6 discussions (16 posts)

How do i verify the tags are associated with my hub?

1. shazwellyn profile image83
    shazwellynposted 7 years ago

Hi.  Got a message.. Please verify that they are all relevant and specific etc... how do I verify?

Thanks guys xxxx

2. Uninvited Writer profile image82
    Uninvited Writerposted 7 years ago

You read your hub and make sure that your tags match exactly what is in it.

shazwellynposted 7 years ago in reply to this

Well, they are all relevant. Do I have much to worry about?

p.s.you are my heroine... you have helped yet again x

3. darkside profile image80
    darksideposted 7 years ago

In your latest hub I'd remove the tag "fox hunting" because if a person is searching about  "fox hunting" they won't be thinking of bullying.

Also "about stories", "a short story", "long story", "small stories" and several others. They are far too vague.

Pick tags which will be search terms that people are likely to use to find the type of information that you have contained within your hub.

1. profile image0
      Pacal Votanposted 7 years ago in reply to this

I don't really get this. How do these tags on hubpages help us with search engines anyway?

1. darkside profile image80
        darksideposted 7 years ago in reply to this

Those ones I have shown are an example of tags that aren't needed. So they won't help with search engines or with the internal HubPages search.

Here's some more information on tagging. It includes suggestions on how to tag a hub.

tagging is a skill in itself!  I will go back on all my hubs and try to tag more appropriately.  Maybe I might get a better score?!  Thank you for your support, my friend!

2. profile image0
          Pacal Votanposted 7 years ago in reply to this

Thanks. I just checked the link.

4. relache profile image87
    relacheposted 7 years ago

I have to agree with darkside.  A relevant tag does not mean any random phrase or word that appears in the context of the Hub.  It means a word or phrase that specifically relates to the topic being discussed.  I just looked at a whole bunch of your Hubs, and they are really tagged poorly and irrelevantly in many cases.

My suggestion is to NOT use the suggested tags that the HubPages system recommends, as quite often they aren't very relevant.

This advice is valuable to me.  I have to learn to be more focused on tags relating subject.  So, quality of tagging is better than quantity.  I want to get my work out there, but I might be doing myself an injustice by having words related, rather than specific.  Is that right? x

1. darkside profile image80
        darksideposted 7 years ago in reply to this

Here's the tags I'd definitely remove from the hub:

* stories
            * story telling
            * best short stories
            * short stories online
            * story online
            * stories to read
            * young stories
            * good storys
            * stories tales
            * short kids stories
            * stories short
            * a short story
            * small stories
            * english stories
            * literature stories

Then go to https://adwords.google.com/select/KeywordToolExternal and do a search for the keyword bullying.

It'll show you the monthly search volume (how many people are searching in the month) and their location (local = U.S. and Global = the rest of the world).

Don't go crazy. I'd just start by picking 10 or 15 of the top search terms.

There's a drop down box under "Choose columns to be displayed" and you can select "Show Estimated Avg. CPC". This will give you a rough idea how much Advertisers are paying for those clicks, on average. There's no guarantee you'll get that amount, and anyway, Google take their cut out of it first, because that's how much the Advertiser is paying, not how much Google is giving to the Publisher.

There's a lot to learn about using the Keyword Tool, but get used to using it first, and as you get familiar with the different ways of using it (such as Match Type) you'll be able to hone your skills and get more search traffic and make more money.

Phew, Dark, I am really not on the right line here, am I?  It isnt about focused searches, it is about a broad search on a single word. 

or is there no defined rule?

Thanking you for your continued supportx

5. skristoff profile image61
    skristoffposted 7 years ago

When you enter tags, you should think about what people will type into their search engine in order for your hub to come up in the search results.

So, for example, for my hub "Ideas for Handmade Gifts", my tags include handmade gifts, creating handmade gifts, teacher gifts, gift ideas, and so on.

Like your gifts, tagging is quite an art! hehehe.. thanks x

6. rebekahELLE profile image92
    rebekahELLEposted 7 years ago

I may be wrong, but imo, there are too many tags. why not pick out 20 really strong tags that are included in your article and ones that people would search for.

Nice bit of advice, easily understood.  Thanks x

working