Fear of Friday the 13th and Other Phobias

Jump to Last Post 1-19 of 19 discussions (36 posts)
  1. Snarky profile image57
    Snarkyposted 14 years ago

Today is Friday the 13th, and Triscadecaphobia, is the fear of the number 13, and the fear of Friday the 13th falls under this phobia.

Most people have a fear or phobia about something.  Mine is the fear of heights, Acrophobia.  But, for the most part, I can deal with it.

My wife, on the other hand, suffers from a severe case of Arachnophobia, the fear of spiders.

One day, as she was driving with her friend Brandy in the passenger seat down the dirt road to her house,  a large spider fell from an overhanging tree and landed on the windshield.

Without a moments hesitation, or a second thought, she opened the driver side door and jumped out.  Letting her car, and her friend, fend for themselves.

No one got hurt.  She was going under ten miles an hour and her friend was able to jump over to the drivers seat to stop the car.

Do you have a phobia?  Or a phobia story?  Tell it here...

2. Flightkeeper profile image67
    Flightkeeperposted 14 years ago

Okay today is Friday the 13th and Hubpages seems to have numerous glitches in their servers and software.

Coincidence???......

1. prettydarkhorse profile image54
      prettydarkhorseposted 14 years agoin reply to this

ms flight, the other day the servers are playing up already~ hmmm

hmmm hi Snarky, I have acrophobia too, scared at big malls buildings and looking down below, mmmm. One time I went to a mall and the eatery is located at the third floor, I would like to eat there, but just thinking about it, makes my feet numb, I just went home and ordered something, when I am on a flight and I can see the clouds, makes me tinge, scary really , I traveled one time for thirteen hours in a plane, and I was too scared

3. profile image0
    Justine76posted 14 years ago

I had to bring hubby to work today. He started a new job on Monday, I am not familliar with the area. Since he started a new job, he hasnt gotten paid, in a little over a week. On the way home from dropping him off, I missed a turn, realized I had no idea where I was, and the gas light came on in my van. I called my bank to check the balance, as I had no cash on me. It was-$52
    I had no idea today was the thirteenth till I got home.

oh, that was too bad for you, at least you reached home...

1. profile image0
        Justine76posted 14 years agoin reply to this

yeah, all is fine. I was nervous at the time, but..it all worked out after all.

4. profile image0
    TMinutposted 14 years ago

Friday the 13 is when my first son was born, it's a great day to me! My phobia is the dark, I get scared in my own room when I first turn off the light - it's pathetic.

5. rebekahELLE profile image86
    rebekahELLEposted 14 years ago

spiders in general don't scare me BUT banana spiders DO.

when my sons were younger we would take hikes in the woods in back of our house, also a little river ran though this gorgeous area. we're having this great time treking through the florida woods going through paths that aren't really paths and then, my oldest son yells MOM!!  because I was looking down to see the path, OOPS, I did not see the huge web across where I was heading and there is this huge banana spider the size of my palm directly at head level in my path. I screamed!! and we took off the other way and that was the end of our hiking...yikes:

6. profile image0

I would have still been afraid of spiders and bugs like I was when I was little but had to get over it when I had kids. You have to face anything and everything to protect your kids so fear has to take a back seat to practical. Plus I don't want to pass on irrational fears. But palm-sized spiders, the fear of things like that (and snakes) is inbred in primates. Besides, palm-sized spiders are just CREEPY.

Did you see the Mythbusters episode where they showed elephants actually being afraid of mice? That was funny!

1. rebekahELLE profile image86
      rebekahELLEposted 14 years agoin reply to this

no, I didn't but that sounds funny! that show is interesting.

I'm not too fond of mice either now that you mention it! once when I was a little girl living in the midwest, I was in my bed and felt something move slightly under my pillow, not thinking too much about it, I put my hand under my pillow (which I would normally do at times) and felt a mouse!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  I jumped across the room to my sister's bed and mom and dad came rushing in because I screamed and we had to find the mouse before I would go back to sleep...
      it was in my closet. 

gosh, I sound like a wuss. I'm really not. smile

7. Ivorwen profile image64
    Ivorwenposted 14 years ago

My biggest fear is being left alone, with no one who knows me. 

Today is my birthday, so I think it is a great day.  smile

Happy beer day! Ivorwen! you will never be alone, you are in HP< you have many fans already!

2. Snarky profile image57
      Snarkyposted 14 years agoin reply to this

"Happy dirt-day!  I peed in your pool."

Ah, the fear of being alone, Monophobia.  Sounds like a fear of some form of VD as well.

What is the fear of catching VD called?  Now that was a fear I had in my younger years.  Not so much any more.  It is great to be married.  No monophobia for me.  A great wife and no VD.

I'm getting off track.  Happy Birthday!

1. Ivorwen profile image64
        Ivorwenposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Being married has many benefits.  smile

1. profile image0

you can still get pregnant  lol happy late bday!!!!!!

Only if 'maximum security' fails!  lol

1. profile image0

i gotta go, time to cook or ill forget how babies happen...  smile see ya'll on monday

See ya Justine.

3. Paradise7 profile image70
      Paradise7posted 14 years agoin reply to this

Happy birthday!

8. profile image0

Happy Birthday to you, happy birthday to you! So are there fun and interesting plans for the day?

9. Ivorwen profile image64
    Ivorwenposted 14 years ago

Thanks guys!  No big plans.

10. Flightkeeper profile image67
    Flightkeeperposted 14 years ago

Happy Birthday Ivorwen, consider doing something special for yourself, it's nice to celebrate the day of your birth.

11. Jeffrey Neal profile image68
    Jeffrey Nealposted 14 years ago

Mine is claustrophobia.  My mother's is worse...at least I can stand elevators, but really tight spaces...

I was watching Dirty Jobs with Mike Rowe once, and he was spelunking with a research team.  He crawled up into this really tight gap, and somehow the camera guys were getting shots from in front and behind.  He really didn't have much room to move and almost got stuck...at least that's how it looked to me.
    I almost couldn't watch...I've never felt that weird about something on TV...even horror flicks have never given me the willies like that.  Oh well...

@Ivorwen, Happy Birthday!

12. pioneer_writer5 profile image58
    pioneer_writer5posted 14 years ago

I am afraid of any insect with an exoskeleton, or rather anything in the beetle family.

13. Choke Frantic profile image69
    Choke Franticposted 14 years ago

I also have a fear of heights.

Something I learned the other day: Anatidaephobia is the fear that somewhere, somehow, a duck is staring at you. Quack!

14. profile image0

What made you choose that name?

In a word, it tells you what you are going to get...  That, and it is easy to spell.

1. profile image0

that was more then A word.

15. sabrebIade profile image80
    sabrebIadeposted 14 years ago

Not me...I have a fear of phobias.

That is known as: Phobophobia (from Greek: φόβος, phobos, "fear") is a rare phobia which is defined as the fear of phobias, or the fear of fear.

Who sits around and comes up with this stuff?

At least what you have is rare.

1. profile image0

who defines it as rare? most people are more afraid of being afraid, so they sit around doing nothing....

1. sabrebIade profile image80
          sabrebIadeposted 14 years agoin reply to this

I just like saying "Phobophobia".....

16. RedSonja94 profile image60
    RedSonja94posted 14 years ago

I have a fear of spiders but I can handle it as long as they aren't large spiders.  I also have a huge fear of something happening to one of my kids.....that one I don't deal with very well.

17. fishtiger58 profile image66
    fishtiger58posted 14 years ago

Ok I know this is really stupid but its true have been like this my whole life. I have Pukaphobia, I don't want to hear someone puking, see it smell it be any where near when someone is doing it. I have run out of school classrooms and church when that mess starts. I was afraid I would not be able to help my kids when they were sick. My mom told me when its your kid its different. She was right. I dealt with it. I still can't deal with it when its my hubby. I sleep on the couch when he's sick.

18. RKHenry profile image63
    RKHenryposted 14 years ago

I fear the number 13.

19. rmcrayne profile image89
    rmcrayneposted 14 years ago

I had my wisdom teeth removed on a Friday the 13th.  It was the first time I had ever been sedated for anything.  I promised if I woke up and had no complications, I would never fear Friday the 13th again.  All went well.  And I remind myself of this every Friday the 13th.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)