jump to last post 1-5 of 5 discussions (5 posts)

Am I starting off on the right foot?

1. bgowton profile image61
    bgowtonposted 6 years ago

I'm a newbie. Moan and groan away. I love to write and hope that what I'm writing is interesting to someone (besides myself).

I'd love some opinions on whether I've got the right idea or if it I'm truly only entertaining myself.

Have at it...I'm tough. I can take it. Cringe

2. lrohner profile image85
    lrohnerposted 6 years ago

Welcome to HP! Your hubs are well written. Couple of comments though.

Don't take the default URL that is assigned. Your Guerilla Marketing hub should have had a very simple URL:  http://hubpages.com/hub/guerilla-marketing. Keep the URL's short and sweet, but make sure they include your primary keyword(s).

You need to work more on your tags. The tags you have are good, but while I usually have broad tags, as you do, I also include some more focused, niche tags that are relevant. For instance, you have "free marketing" as a tag. What about "small business marketing" or something like that. You really should have 10 to 15 tags per hub, and some folks on HP would recommend even more than that.

Consider breaking up the huge block of text with visuals (photos, videos, etc.). Big blocks of text can be intimidating to some readers.

In your hub series, make sure you are linking them altogether. Give the reader an easy way at the end to get to the next part in the series. You can look to HP's Group feature to do that as well.

All in all, job well done!

3. Rochelle Frank profile image89
    Rochelle Frankposted 6 years ago

Yes, I think you are off to a good start, and I would second the suggestions given above by Irohner.

You might want to look through some of the forum topics which give suggestions on improving traffic, layout and etc.

Hope you enjoy your experience.

4. Dame Scribe profile image60
    Dame Scribeposted 6 years ago

Take a tour of other Hubs to get a idea of layouts. Keep a eye on the ones that *capture* you and see if you can do the same wink Welcome to HubPages smile

5. Niteriter profile image78
    Niteriterposted 6 years ago

I'll offer the suggestion that you can increase the value of your experience on HubPages by taking a more positive view of "entertaining myself". I'll paraphrase a quote that floats around the world of musicians: "If you write something and you like it, then you're a good writer; if you write something and others like it, then you're a great writer." Enjoying yourself is a big part of the prerequisite for staying around for the long haul. There are many great people here who will help you any time you ask. Cheers.