jump to last post 1-50 of 56 discussions (72 posts)

HubPages Update - database crashes, traffic stats, tos update

1. pauldeeds profile image
    pauldeedsposted 6 years ago

We've been fairly busy at HubPages the last couple of days recovering from hardware issues with two of our five database servers.  Fortunately we were able to cut over to our hot stand by machines with very little downtime.  We've repaired the hardware and are now back to full capacity.  However, you may have noticed more oddities than usual the last day or two on the site as we've had to juggle things around a bit in order to keep everything running.  We apologize for any inconvenience that may have caused.

As part of the recovery process, the traffic stats were inflated for several hours last evening.  It's fairly difficult for us to roll those back, so you'll just see extra traffic in your stats for that period.  Processing appears to be back on track, so you should see a decline in your day views back to "normal" levels this evening (as the inflated hours start to drop off).  This probably means lots of red arrows now, and lots of blue arrows tonight (with the effect diminishing over the course of the week).  I'd suggest just ignoring them.

Unrelated to all of this, we've updated our terms of service and privacy policy.  There is a brief summary of the differences at each link above.  Please review them carefully.   The new terms take effect November 19th.

1. 0
      Duchess OBluntposted 6 years ago in reply to this

Thank you for the explanation and for the news on the policy changes.  Will review tonight

2. Isabella Snow profile image87
      Isabella Snowposted 6 years ago in reply to this

Eh?? When I click on those links I get this??

1. sunforged profile image67
        sunforgedposted 6 years ago in reply to this

Thats a sweet theme (browser)..what is it?

1. Isabella Snow profile image87
          Isabella Snowposted 6 years ago in reply to this

Ah! Thanks! big_smile

Scribblies Plain. There's another version that's more colorful but the rainbows get on your nerves after awhile. wink

2. bgamall profile image86
    bgamallposted 6 years ago

Traffic stats inflated? How disappointing. sad

But I will recover. smile

3. Pearldiver profile image87
    Pearldiverposted 6 years ago

Cheers Paul.

4. myownworld profile image80
    myownworldposted 6 years ago

finally some light.....! smile

5. Laura du Toit profile image93
    Laura du Toitposted 6 years ago

Thanks for the explanation smile

6. 0
    lyricsingrayposted 6 years ago

I want to keep my new wrong stats - it was fun waking up to - please!! lol  Thank you

1. myownworld profile image80
      myownworldposted 6 years ago in reply to this

yes...life felt good for a while!!  please don't take it away....!!

2. Lady_E profile image83
      Lady_Eposted 6 years ago in reply to this

Lol. Me too. smile 

I saw the double arrows and thought - "finally, I must be doing something right".

7. 0
    lynnechandlerposted 6 years ago

Thanks for the heads up Paul!

8. wannabwestern profile image90
    wannabwesternposted 6 years ago

Thank you for sharing this information, I was wondering what spectacular thing happened last night while I was sleeping to increase my traffic so much! big_smile

9. wrenfrost56 profile image85
    wrenfrost56posted 6 years ago

Thanks for the update paul, however I'm with the others on this, I rather liked the sudden increase in traffic. smile

1. 0
      Ghost32posted 6 years ago in reply to this

And people say inflation is a bad thing! lol

1. Zsuzsy Bee profile image86
        Zsuzsy Beeposted 6 years ago in reply to this

big_smile big_smile big_smile

10. prettydarkhorse profile image62
    prettydarkhorseposted 6 years ago

me too I agreed with all of them , but I will find time to read the new TERMS OF SERVICE

11. charlemont profile image83
    charlemontposted 6 years ago

I'm amazed at tons of red arrows in my stats smile

12. thranax profile image59
    thranaxposted 6 years ago

Oh, I liked the red arrows though. *Pout* Why can't the traffic be at what it was at now everyday -.-

13. Dorsi profile image91
    Dorsiposted 6 years ago

Ah bummer, I thought that my viewership had suddenly taken off and went into another level...

but thanks for the update!

14. Patty Inglish, MS profile image90
    Patty Inglish, MSposted 6 years ago

Thanks very much for all the information. It was a quick turnaround time to repair, imo.

15. 0
    cosetteposted 6 years ago

thank you Paul. i was an idiot a couple of days ago and, instead of working in Notepad as i usually do, i was writing my hub right in the text capsule and right then it froze for a 'site down for service' and i lost my whole capsule just as i was about to click save. i expected to see my draft saved but for some reaason it wasn't, but i have only myself to blame, so i just retyped it all and learned from the experience. you guys are very quick with your updates with hardly any 'denials of service' happen, and you're very proactive and communicative, which is appreciated. smile

16. alekhouse profile image80
    alekhouseposted 6 years ago

Thanks for the update, Paul.

17. Zsuzsy Bee profile image86
    Zsuzsy Beeposted 6 years ago

As always you guys (Hubteam) are the tops. Now if you were to fix the little red arrow gadget to stay that active I do not think there would be too many complains.
    Thanks for all you do.

18. NaomiR profile image86
    NaomiRposted 6 years ago

Thanks, Paul

I'm going to enjoy my red arrows while they last!

19. Ryan Hupfer profile image80
    Ryan Hupferposted 6 years ago

Here are a few red arrows for NaomiR, Zsuzsy Bee and the rest of you Hubbers to use once the ones that you see now suddenly (and sadly) disappear. I know that I'm going to miss a lot, too so I thought that these might help ease the pain.

Feel free to print these of and tape them to your monitor -- I used NaomiR's My Account screen as an example so that you all can see how amazingly well it works! Talk about a great way to increase your HubPages motivation -- there's nothing better than seeing double red arrows all over your my account page!

But, don't take my word for it...

NaomiR's My Account screen BEFORE:

NaomiR's My Account screen AFTER:

Not to mention that these double red arrows also make awesome fashion accessories. Check out how I used mine to turn a unibrow into a UniWOW!

Hope this helps. smile

1. Zsuzsy Bee profile image86
      Zsuzsy Beeposted 6 years ago in reply to this

Ryan thanks for the double arrows I'll use them according to your suggestions.

20. sunforged profile image67
    sunforgedposted 6 years ago

it certainly did help! big_smile

1. Ryan Hupfer profile image80
      Ryan Hupferposted 6 years ago in reply to this

haha, I thought that it would. smile

21. wyanjen profile image86
    wyanjenposted 6 years ago

Hup - hilarious.

Am I a cynic? I saw red arrows, so strolled over here to see what is wrong with the site....

thanks as always for your update

22. rebekahELLE profile image92
    rebekahELLEposted 6 years ago

I've been admiring mine all day, even called my son this morning to tell him.... big_smile

I'm hoping that maybe a few will stay double... one? hmm

23. travelespresso profile image82
    travelespressoposted 6 years ago

Aah and I thought my excellent writing had been discovered!!!  Seems I will have to wait a little longer. 
    Thanks for the update.  I really laughed at your graphics and words Ryan. Excellent.

24. kirstenblog profile image78
    kirstenblogposted 6 years ago

I do wonder if this glitch could have some positive effects on the hub score and the google ranking? If it will make the hubs in question look even more popular then they are.....

25. mayhmong profile image74
    mayhmongposted 6 years ago

Awwww....and I thought my hubs were rocking it! LOL

26. thranax profile image59
    thranaxposted 6 years ago

I really almost believed back-linking helped with something

27. RedElf profile image85
    RedElfposted 6 years ago

Aaaaaaaw gee whizzickers! I was so excited! ...but I have taken a screen shot to enjoy when things get back to normal, LOL

28. KCC Big Country profile image83
    KCC Big Countryposted 6 years ago

I know Paul mentioned the inevitable blue arrows we'll soon be seeing.....but there isn't a double blue arrow is there? LOL  I'm sure hoping not.  It's bad enough we have to endure the single blue arrow.

Thanks Paul for the update and we appreciate all the hardwork you guys and gals are doing on our behalf!

Ryan,  you're just a nut.  smile

29. Lady_E profile image83
    Lady_Eposted 6 years ago

That's a funny one Ryan

I actually took a Screen Shot of mine in Homepage view. So the top 10 were really looking Awesome with high figures.

Might print it out and frame it.

@ Paul, thanks for the update.

30. ediggity profile image60
    ediggityposted 6 years ago

Just when I thought I was doing good.  The man is always there to beat me back down.

31. Nell Rose profile image91
    Nell Roseposted 6 years ago

Just to say I loved the picture of fashion accessories! I am so busy reading the funny remarks all over the forum that I forget to write a hub! Thanks for the laugh. Nell

32. hglick profile image84
    hglickposted 6 years ago

Thanks guys for the timely explanation of the strange happenings

33. Mrvoodoo profile image59
    Mrvoodooposted 6 years ago

Did referrals always give 20% of the impressions?

I thought it was 10% previously, not that I'm complaining, I don't have many referrals but if I did, even better. smile

34. My Digest profile image80
    My Digestposted 6 years ago

Hahahahaha It was good while it lasted.  smile Thanks for the explanation Paul!

35. 0
    shinujohn2008posted 6 years ago

36. spease profile image85
    speaseposted 6 years ago

That is good that its fixed, too bad the stats were not real.  I was excited to see the big numbers also.

37. Pr0metheus profile image60
    Pr0metheusposted 6 years ago

The red arrows made me happy... now the blue arrows are back and I'm sad....

1. ngureco profile image87
      ngurecoposted 6 years ago in reply to this

Haha. I missed the triple red arrows but I am worried I may now get triple blue arrows.

38. Dao Hoa profile image62
    Dao Hoaposted 6 years ago

My happiness of seeing the red arrows were gone. I am sad now :-(
    Paul, thanks for the info and quickly resolved the problems.

39. soni2006 profile image46
    soni2006posted 6 years ago

I was surprised to see my traffic stats yesterday as they were more than double for one day. I wish I could get them back.

40. Dame Scribe profile image61
    Dame Scribeposted 6 years ago

Thanks Paul & HP team! you're awesome big_smile

41. shazwellyn profile image83
    shazwellynposted 6 years ago

Yes, I wondered why my hubs were soo popular!  Oh well.  Thanks for letting us know - appreciate your hard work, as always x

42. wavegirl22 profile image48
    wavegirl22posted 6 years ago

arrows are back to blue but today its no Hub activity and nothing much on my "Welcome Back" page.

1. mistyhorizon2003 profile image93
      mistyhorizon2003posted 6 years ago in reply to this

Yes, I just checked my traffic for the day, and I reckon I am down by about 200 viewings based on my normal daily traffic rate. Very odd!

1. barryrutherford profile image37
        barryrutherfordposted 6 years ago in reply to this

Im now seeing blue arrows.  Maybe it's the sugar in my tea...

how about we give each other a hug and forget our sorrows !

1. Dao Hoa profile image62
          Dao Hoaposted 6 years ago in reply to this

Good idea. (((HUG)))

43. readytoescape profile image60
    readytoescapeposted 6 years ago

Anyone having trouble with your homepage loading?

44. Eaglekiwi profile image74
    Eaglekiwiposted 6 years ago

I saw all those pretty double red arrows  and thought it must have been the fine Californian wine lol

1. Dao Hoa profile image62
      Dao Hoaposted 6 years ago in reply to this

45. retellect profile image79
    retellectposted 6 years ago

Thanks for the info! I did wonder what the hell was happening when I saw my traffic almost triple in a few hours! Thanks for the info big_smile

46. Ivorwen profile image84
    Ivorwenposted 6 years ago

Thanks for the heads-up.  I am liking the negative numbers in the traffic sources today.  smile

47. Dao Hoa profile image62
    Dao Hoaposted 6 years ago

I am seeing red arrows again! Are they real?

48. LensMan999 profile image54
    LensMan999posted 6 years ago

Thanks for sharing the real cause

49. barryrutherford profile image37
    barryrutherfordposted 6 years ago

50. Jeff Brendan profile image62
    Jeff Brendanposted 6 years ago

Today I'd problem posting a hub (well my first hub). Its great to know that you have recovered and nothing went wrong.