jump to last post 1-8 of 8 discussions (12 posts)

Tiny Little New Zealand Qualifies for the 2010 FIFA World Cup!!

1. Pearldiver profile image86
    Pearldiverposted 7 years ago

In 1982 NZ qualified for the FIFA World Cup for the first time ever.  Today, 27 years later; some of the sons of those 1982 players were fielded against Bahrain to determine the group qualifying.
    Bahrain only needed a draw; but NZ had to win the match.
    NZ won 1-0 after our keeper saved a Bahrain direct penalty from being scored.
    (No sheep were injured before or during the match! smile However: I can not say with any authority; if any sheep were invited to the after match celebrations in the backcountry yikes)

You don't have to comment; but if you do; please excuse my total lack of forum niceness....... I'm going Fishing lol

2. profile image0
    ryankettposted 7 years ago

Congrats..... my team had Chris Killen on loan last year, he was absolutely pants for us and we sent him back to Celtic. Sorry, but he just was! Can we all expect to see a few hubs about the world cup from you now?

Pearldiverposted 7 years ago in reply to this

Yeah Chris Killen had a very average game and was subbed in the second half. Don't be sorry mate; He's not the flashest player for sure and missed a couple of good opportunities. But the key thing with the kiwis is that half the team aren't even professional and they didn't have much support from our sports bodies. Maybe, on the hub thing. hmm
      Ireland's got France to sort out in this round.

3. rebekahELLE profile image91
    rebekahELLEposted 7 years ago

hey, PD, that's exciting! congrats to NZ!

Cheers rebekahELLE, Soccer here is totally overshadowed by Rugby and the All Blacks.  I used to coach - 8 years of it.

4. chenmikehk profile image61
    chenmikehkposted 7 years ago

well done! but will NZ be the whipping boy at the finals?

No.. Don't think so.. they're used to being the underdogs.. they're in the finals... for NZ that is worth millions.. so they have already shown their worth.. come what may smile

1. chenmikehk profile image61
        chenmikehkposted 7 years ago in reply to this

Good. I love underdogs. Come on NZ. Give them big boys some sticks.

5. Eaglekiwi profile image74
    Eaglekiwiposted 7 years ago

The little nation with  BIG attitude smile

I remember still ,dragging my kids outta bed ,woffing down toast n weetbix to get to soccer games on a frosty Sat mornin ,lol...Youngest loved playin Goalie at the junior level , he was quite focused and seemed to just love the contact and mud n blood lol.

He left to play Rugby ,and his learned soccer skills helped him tremoundously!!

Now he prefers playin Mafia Wars ( online virtual game) lol

but what kid doesnt play sports in New Zealand wink

Go New Zealand Go get 'em!

6. prettydarkhorse profile image62
    prettydarkhorseposted 7 years ago

Good job for them,,,,

7. Ultimate Hubber profile image81
    Ultimate Hubberposted 7 years ago

That's awesome!

Kiwis are doing good in sports. Played ICC champions trophy final too.
    ROCK ON!

8. Will Apse profile image91
    Will Apseposted 7 years ago

Did they use sheep as goal posts in Bahrain?

working