jump to last post 1-4 of 4 discussions (4 posts)

Fave Christmas moments - Food wise

1. The Bard profile image78
    The Bardposted 6 years ago

2. rmcrayne profile image95
    rmcrayneposted 6 years ago

For me, Christmas and Thanksgiving are a pretty standard feast, like I wrote about in my Thanksgiving (Recipes) hub.  Turkey, ham and beef roast, baked macaroni and cheese, potato salad, noodles, dressing, and of course the cakes and pies. 

The last few years, my sibs and I (in Texas, the family and feast are in SC) abbreviate the feast.  We never skip the baked mac and cheese though.  We have a huge one so there will be leftovers for Dunbar Macaroni. 

As for the alcohol, we try to treat ourselves with a bottle of Eiswein or Beerenauslase.  That's a nice 'dessert'.

3. 0
    sandra rinckposted 6 years ago

Well one year my mom got drunk off of three beers while my dad was cooking dinner.  She kept stumbling into the kitchen to taste test and my dad kept telling her to get out of the kitchen.

Just before it was time to eat, my mom barfed.  We all sat down and made fun of her...

Then she got this look in her eye, took the serving spoon out of the mashed potatoes and took a great big bite and put the spoon back in the dish.

While we all because a bit nauseated, we still couldn't help but make more fun of her.  So we dug in.  She got pretty pissed off because we didn't say grace. 

Then my dad introduced us to what because our traditional (at least for the rest of us) grace.  "Rubba dub, dub, thanks for the grub."

4. Lisa HW profile image82
    Lisa HWposted 6 years ago

Mine contribution here is not as "artistic"/romantic as The Bard's or as entertaining as Sandra's.  lol  The smell of baking the pumpkin, cranberry, and other breads/pies in the kitchen late Christmas eve ushers in a Christmas-y mood for me.