What does your family think

Jump to Last Post 1-25 of 25 discussions (46 posts)
  1. profile image0
    Pacal Votanposted 14 years ago

of Hubpages? I tried to persuade my brother to join Hubs, but fell through. He said it wasn't gonna happen.

I am wondering how hubbers' families relate to Hubpages...

1. profile image0
      Justine76posted 14 years agoin reply to this

my kids know nothing about it. my husband HATES it...and thats all the familly I have that speaks to me...

1. profile image0
        shazwellynposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Maybe he is jelous?  Still, hubbers will keep supporting you.  Keep up the good work mate! x

2. profile image0
    Denno66posted 14 years ago

I've gotten visits from my family members, who have been supportive but have not joined. I take the visits with great joy and move on. smile

3. wyanjen profile image72
    wyanjenposted 14 years ago

My mom is my biggest fan. Still working on her to join...
    Hi mom!

4. gracenotes profile image89
    gracenotesposted 14 years ago

I send links sometimes to my mom, who appreciates my work.  But there is one other family member that I won't be "sharing" my hubs with, simply because of the negative comments she made.  She really doesn't know anything about HubPages either.

I think I can work on my friends to join HP, rather than family members.

5. rmcrayne profile image90
    rmcrayneposted 14 years ago

My sister, brother, some cousins and some friends joined HubPages to vote for my hub for HubNuggets a while back.  Many of them say they are reading my hubs, but only my sister leaves comments on my hubs from time to time.

6. rebekahELLE profile image85
    rebekahELLEposted 14 years ago

my oldest son signed up and started writing about a month after me, but he's not active in the forums at all. he saw the set up and liked it and writes mostly 'how to' articles. he also helps me understand some of the technical stuff and search engine traffic. smile

I email my articles to family members living elsewhere. they love to read my hubs and encourage me to keep writing wherever I can.

7. Sue Adams profile image96
    Sue Adamsposted 14 years ago

Finally I got my brother Tom to join. He is a very knowledgable person who will make a great contribution to HubPages. Why not give him a warm welcome and check out his hubs?

http://hubpages.com/hub/Private-or-Public
    http://hubpages.com/hub/identity-politi … lture-wars

8. Princessa profile image82
    Princessaposted 14 years ago

I haven't got any family members involved excep for my daughter aged 8, she likes helping me taking photos for the hubs.  Once,  to make her happy I did published her "travel article" and photos of her trip to Paris and another time she wrote a review of her favourite little princess's films which I also published here.

1. rebekahELLE profile image85
      rebekahELLEposted 14 years agoin reply to this

how adorable, that's really very sweet, those teachable moments!
      I would love to read them, can you post the links, or give us the titles? (please) smile

1. Princessa profile image82
        Princessaposted 14 years agoin reply to this

"Films for little princesses" was her first one.  Her second one was: "Paris seen by a 7 year old". 

All the photos in the Paris hub were taken by her.  I only corrected a few mistakes in her writing and translated a few sentences that she had written in French rather than Engish.

1. Zsuzsy Bee profile image86
          Zsuzsy Beeposted 14 years agoin reply to this

....and those are both nice hubs... I remember reading them when they were first published.
          Princessa, how is the little sprout? (growing, growing no doubt) Love the new avatar.
          Hope you and the gang are all well.
          greetings to you all from Canada

We are all ok Zsuzsy, thanks for asking.  The little Princess is growing into a fine little lady we are preparing a hub on bee keeping her new hobby.  Meantime the little hooligan is going wilder by the day!!

All the best to you, and lots of love from France smile

1. Flightkeeper profile image68
              Flightkeeperposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Hi Princessa!  I think it's great that your daughter is a published writer! At a young age too and that she takes this kind of interest.  I found great satisfaction in having my hubs being read and hope she does too.

Hi Flightkeeper, my little one just loves to have her writing published.  I am waiting until she is a bit older to sign her up for sites that publish children's writing.  She seems to enjoy it a lot so she might want to continue doing it.

2. rebekahELLE profile image85
          rebekahELLEposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Thank you so much for sharing these with us. I loved reading them and it's so much fun to see Paris from a little princess' view!! Her pics are perfect. She did a great job of writing.
          thanks for sharing, my first hub I read this morning!! a delight. smile

Thanks for reading them and leaving a comment, I'll show her when she comes from school tonight, she'll be deligthed, she gets very excited reading comments on her hubs smile

9. fishtiger58 profile image69
    fishtiger58posted 14 years ago

I have only showed or told my girlfriend. She was very excited to read my hubs. It made me feel good. I will tell my sister sometime soon, my other sister I don't think will to too interested.

10. profile image0
    Pacal Votanposted 14 years ago

Well, yeah. Sometimes people say they are interested in what you write.

11. Zsuzsy Bee profile image86
    Zsuzsy Beeposted 14 years ago

My kids read my hubs, articles etc when they come hot off the press. Of the three not even one of them is interested in joining hubpages. They keep nagging me that instead I should work on my books. But I love it here so I stubbornly keep hubbing.

1. profile image0

Yes, it is about personal satisfaction.  It can be frustrating to go the conventional route of writing.  Hubbing keeps the morale up.

P.s. Good to see you again! x

12. Dale Mazurek profile image63
    Dale Mazurekposted 14 years ago

My wife is my biggest supporter.  In fact she even has an account here but she uses it a lot less than me.

She does love hub pages but she is not a big fan of being on the internet.

From time to time she does check in but the funny thing is she will sit with me quite a bit and help me with my hubs.

13. emievil profile image67
    emievilposted 14 years ago

My husband knows about HubPages and supports me on this. But he's not really much in writing so he's content with just reading what I show him or listening to me when I tell him what hubs I read.

None of my other family members are involved one way or another in HubPages. I've given them the link but I guess they're too busy to bother right now sad.

14. wrenfrost56 profile image57
    wrenfrost56posted 14 years ago

My son and boyfriend are very supportive, I am very lucky. smile

15. Flightkeeper profile image68
    Flightkeeperposted 14 years ago

I am the "writer" in the family.  I really haven't gotten anyone involved in hubpages.  I look at it as one my hobbies and purely for me.

16. Jane@CM profile image59
    Jane@CMposted 14 years ago

My hubby supports me in writing here at Hubpages.

1. profile image0

thats awesome. Good for you!!It is so hard to be...NOT supported..

17. Lisa HW profile image62
    Lisa HWposted 14 years ago

My family and friends think of writing as what I do (for work, for fun), but I don't think they think in terms of involving themselves in "whatever it is" I do.  lol  I'm among very "technical-centered" people who only have time to read what's related to their work.  Then there are the people who "aren't all that into" the Internet for personal purposes and only use it to shop and e.mail.  My grown kids do their own thing and write too, so I'm not sure they'll never join HubPages.

They all know where my writing is, and I know some have checked it out to some extent; but if they do more than just look take a quick look they haven't said so.  I suspect they think I'll feel they were "horning in" on my personal business.  smile  They're kind of right.  I like my writing to be "my thing" (not a particularly secret thing, but my thing nonetheless).    smile

1. profile image0

Its good to have your own thing.  smile

1. profile image0
        Pacal Votanposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Then, just look at your writing as your thing. You have your own thing that's separate from your family.

And maybe when your kids are a little bit bigger they will be more interested. smile

1. profile image0

Oh, I DO think of it as my own thing. Its why I am still here, despite the..."problems"..it may cause. My kids are just too little to read all that I write.They dont need htat type of information... They love to make books and stories and I encourage them to write whenever they want. Each one has a persoanal journal that I have never, and will never, read.  They dont know about hubpages, cuz they are little sitll, is all.  smile

1. profile image0
            Pacal Votanposted 14 years agoin reply to this

You know, no writing I can remember has ever made me so sad as your hubs. But I sense there is hope and a yearning that things would return to happy on both sides. Does he ever read your hubs?

1. profile image0

please dont be sad
              no. he doesnt
              it a long story.

1. profile image0

This looks like your only outlet.  It is important to lean on us.  It will help get you through.  You might feel you are in a dark place at the moment, but it  won't always be like this.  I don't know your situation, but some escapism is a good thing when life is hard.

There will be a time when circumstance will offer an opportunity for change.  Just look for the signs, feel the inner strength and a smoother path will prevail.

x

2. Lisa HW profile image62
          Lisa HWposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Maybe I shouldn't add this, but my kids are all grown.  lol  I do suspect they've done a little reading but not mentioned it out of not wanting to "pry".  Either way, though, one reason I write some things is that I imagine one day years from now my future grandchildren (or my own children) will get to know what their grandmother was like or what life was like "back in the late 1900's/early 2000's.  (I'm going to leave instructions with my boxes of discs and printed stuff, "If you find this in the attic years after I'm not around any more, don't throw it out just because you don't want to read it.  Please give it to one of the relatives who may be interested, or save it for your own grandchildren, who actually may be interested."  lol  lol  lol

18. Ivorwen profile image65
    Ivorwenposted 14 years ago

One of my sisters, my mom and my dad are fans of mine.  My sister has written several hubs, but if focusing more on a book she is writing.  My mom said she longs to write several hubs, but is also focused on a book.  My brother is thrilled with the story I wrote about him, and has sent it to many of his friends. 

I was raised with the attitude that I could do anything I put my mind to.  The support is there for anything ethical I do.  (And just for the record, I try to avoid the unethical)

1. profile image0

lol good luck!!

19. torimari profile image67
    torimariposted 14 years ago

My dad is just happy that I am writing online some. He's glad that after the journalism internship I'm keeping some degree of work online. smile

20. mistywild profile image61
    mistywildposted 14 years ago

half could care less, the other half are supportive.

21. ddsurfsca profile image70
    ddsurfscaposted 14 years ago

my kids say "run -- she's gonna make us read something else "  and my husband has no choice because everything I write I read aloud to him first to see if it sounds ok, 
    my family has pretty much accepted my "eccentric" ways, but won't participate.  Just wait till the book comes out and see what they think then HUH??

1. profile image0
      poetlorraineposted 14 years agoin reply to this

almost ditto to this actually

22. frogdropping profile image77
    frogdroppingposted 14 years ago

My partner is great, though he doesn't use the site. One of my sons has an account, which he uses sporadically. The rest of my family are unaware.

23. dejajolie profile image59
    dejajolieposted 14 years ago

My family is unaware.... but it will not be surprising to them I am always writing, blogging, etc. My Ex knows but hasn't read anything and I haven't shared with my friends yet because, no reason just haven't.

24. RedElf profile image88
    RedElfposted 14 years ago

My family is very supportive - one sister online, one not, son and daughter very proud of Mom, plus a few online friends drop in periodically, lol.

25. profile image0
    mtsi1098posted 14 years ago

my wife has been getting more active...cannot be a good thing smile

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)