I appreciate Hubpages even more, now

Jump to Last Post 1-12 of 12 discussions (27 posts)
  1. profile image0
    Nelle Hoxieposted 14 years ago

After looking at my income distribution across various merchants and potential internet sales tax legislation, I decided that I had to diversify yet again. So I've spent the last week working on new websites. For the past eight months, I've really focused on Hubpages and existing websites.

Wow, I had forgotten how hard it is to get a new website to rank well. I have truly been spoiled at Hubpages - "what it's been 24 hours and my hub isn't in Google yet - and making sales." (I've been working in affiliate marketing for 10 years, so I'm not a rookie at website design or google rankings.)

Anyways it again showed me what I already knew, that Hubpages is a very effective place to write, work, and make a bunch of money pretty fast. It is also worth the 40% of impressions that they get, because of the fabulous Google traffic. And it is so much easier to rank for competitive niches at Hubpages than by myself.

Just my way of voicing appreciation and recognition of the Hubpages great product and support.

1. profile image0
      ryankettposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Are you still racing me to 1000 hubs?

1. profile image0
        Nelle Hoxieposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Yes I am. I'm not going anywhere, but need to diversify.

2. profile image0

I think my only safe place at Hubpages is to write hubs for adsense earnings. So I might just take another look at the Keyword Acadamy again and brush up those skills.

1. profile image0
      ryankettposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Have your Ebay and Amazon earnings taken a hit at all? Both have changed significantly havent they? I think that Adsense is the way forward, I got a $9 click yesterday!

1. profile image0

All three are great this month! I have no complaints and wish that I could be certain that everything would continue this way. It's more the state taxation thing with Amazon. If the state of Massachusetts comes back with an internet sales tax, Amazon will boot me from their program. There is talk that it will be considered again. Our neighboring state of Rhode Island just adopted such a tax and the Rhode Island Amazon affiliates are out in the cold. Ebay is just Ebay and it makes me very nervous. Alot of Ebay affiliates have been hit by bot attacks and had their accounts frozen or terminated.

So I have been creating sites with merchants that don't boot affiliates because of state internet taxes. And instead of adsense, I've included Chitika contextual ads. Just trying to cover my bases.

2. Mark Knowles profile image57
      Mark Knowlesposted 14 years agoin reply to this

I actually do better with Amazon - but their new cookie has definitely had a negative impact on my earnings.

1. profile image0

Yes, it is much harder to make an Amazon sale now. I'm doing okay, but have been adding Ebay capsules to the Amazon hubs whenever possible. I think when given the choice between Amazon and Ebay, shoppers pick Ebay a lot of the time. And that is converting like crazy!

1. Mark Knowles profile image57

I'll be honest - I hate ebay and do not trust them as far as I can throw them. But - Amazon have basically cut me out of 20% of my referrals, which is now costing me several hundred dollars a month.

But - what can I do? Not even worth contacting them. So - like you - I looked elsewhere and found another affiliate away from amazon and hubpages. Diversity. sooner or later all the programs will crap on you. All you can do is ensure as many different income streams as possible.

2. Anna Erwin profile image60
        Anna Erwinposted 14 years agoin reply to this

What new cookie is this?  I was wondering why this month I have only made one sale. sad

They have switched from a 24 hour cookie to a one session cookie.

Use to be any referral could go, look at amazon, head off to some other merchant, come back and buy at Amazon - and you got the commission if it was within 24 hours.

No more. Now - they leave the site, you lose the sale. My referrals have dropped by 20%. Not impressed. sad

1. profile image0

Amazon cut it's cookie duration. Previously if a shopper put an item in a shopping cart, the cookie duration was 24 hours. If nothing was put in the cart, it was a one session cookie. They've axed the shopping cart provision, so all Amazon cookies are just one session. Which means if you send someone to Amazon they click on something and put it in the shopping cart, and they decide to visit Walmart to compare prices, and then go back to Amazon -even if it is within 2 minutes - you lose the sale.

3. profile image0

Mark I agree, that's why I make sure that I don't "fall in love" with any online marketing venue or program. But Hubpages traffic is the easiest traffic that I've ever found in six years. So I'm trying to make it work.

Me too. But..........

4. relache profile image73
      relacheposted 14 years ago

My eBay earnings have seemed to hold since they changed their program, and my Amazon earnings appear to be a bit on the upswing, but that's not uncommon this time of year.  I won't know how the new cookie deal really effected me until a bit more time has passed.

But my AdSense earnings outpace both of those combined.

1. profile image0

I hear you. It's hard to know what's going on with the holiday traffic in shopping in full swing. Your hubs are so unique - an eclectic combination of zany and commercial. You give my inner hippie chick girl hope for a commercial future.

2. Mark Knowles profile image57

I am going by my conversion rate at Amazon. yes - my earnings are up compared to last month, but that is seasonal. My conversion rate has fallen by 2%.

5. Marisa Wright profile image85
      Marisa Wrightposted 14 years ago

Amazon has been doing a little better for me recently, but I think that's because I tweaked a few of my Amazon Hubs.

As for eBay - I was feeling smug the first month of QCP, because my earnings had gone up.  This month they've dropped like a stone, down 75%!!!!!!  I don't have much eBay on HubPages but my websites rely on it, so it's bad news.

6. profile image0
      assemberposted 14 years ago

Erm can anyone direct me to where Amazon announced this change ?

To a one session cookie

Its news to me

7. Ladybird33 profile image67
      Ladybird33posted 14 years ago

I have had trouble with eBay but good with Amazon.  Also, I am a big fan of Hubpages as well.  I have learned a lot from the "experts" and learn more through these forums.  Can't thank everyone enough!

8. johnr54 profile image47
      johnr54posted 14 years ago

Unfortunately, the internet tax deal is about the only advantage that Squidoo has over Hubpages, in that since they handle the payout you can still feature Amazon products even if you are in one of the taxing states.

I've been having some good luck with Target on my other sites (not really easy to do here), who has a wide range of products (not as wide as Amazon). But they have a physical presence in a lot of states (including mine, there are 2 stores within 3 miles of my house) so the internet tax problems should not take out affiliates here at least.

1. Marisa Wright profile image85
        Marisa Wrightposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Target has an affiliate program?

1. sunforged profile image70
          sunforgedposted 14 years agoin reply to this

http://www.target.com/Affiliate-Program … de=3008941

link (from multiple places) doesnt seem to be working right now to apply to target aff program but they are on the google affiliate network which would pay out right to your adsense account

9. Elijah S profile image58
      Elijah Sposted 14 years ago

What eBay did with QCP and cookies also affects affiliate earnings. Bids&purchases made on the next day after arrival bring less revenue, and those made on the last, seventh day, bring a lot less. So the seven day period is effectively becoming pointless. It's much closer to Amazon now, which is what they intended I suppose.

10. techguy profile image53
      techguyposted 14 years ago

WOW Nice Discussion

11. profile image0
      assemberposted 14 years ago

I don't believe amazon has changed the cookie, tis still 24 hrs

see below from current amazon "operating agreement", unless there is something I am missing

"We will pay you (in accordance with Sections 5 and 6 below) referral fees on certain Product sales to third parties. For a Product sale to be eligible to earn a referral fee, the customer must click-through a Special Link on your site to the Amazon Site and during a single session, add the Product to his or her shopping cart, purchase the Product with digital fulfillment (e.g., digital download or streaming) in the case of Digital Products, or purchase the Product via our 1-Click feature. The session begins when the customer clicks through a Special Link on your site to the Amazon Site and ends upon the first to occur of the following events: (a) 24 hours elapses from the customer's initial click-through, (b) the customer places an order for a Product that is not a Digital Product, or (c) the customer follows a third party link to the Amazon Site that is formatted with an Associate’s tag. We will only pay referral fees on eligible Products after order, payment, and shipping or, in the case of Digital Products, digital fulfillment have occurred."

12. profile image0

Assember I'll try and find the other passage in a day or two. I haven't had time to wade through the Amazon TOS lately. I did a few months ago after I went to the Amazon Discoussion board and there was a cookie discussion.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
    Necessary
    HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
    LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
    Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
    AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
    HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
    HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
    Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
    CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
    Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
    Features
    Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
    Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
    Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
    Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
    Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
    VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
    PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
    Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
    MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
    Marketing
    Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
    Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
    Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
    Statistics
    Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
    ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
    Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
    ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)