jump to last post 1-9 of 9 discussions (12 posts)

Have you ever made up a word of your own?

1. aka-dj profile image80
    aka-djposted 6 years ago

What word(s) did you "create", and what is the meaning?
    Once, whist driving, I was talking to my wife, and had a bit of a "tongue tied day". I wanted to say something using the word "stress", and also "pressure". Unfortunately, I couldn't choose quick enough, and the word "stressure" came out.
    I guess the meaning is obvious. If not, ask, and I'll explain. big_smile

2. Sunny River profile image83
    Sunny Riverposted 6 years ago

It's now a running joke between my friends and I. I have a habit of making up words when I can't find something to express myself to the fullest, and this particular word came from a bout of frustration. I don't even remember what anymore.
    But there you have it. ^_^

3. manlypoetryman profile image71
    manlypoetrymanposted 6 years ago

"Whoodledeedoo" I suppose there are some dashes between the syllables...It was from a goofy song...that a bunch of us nieghborhood kids put together with all drums...But it was catchy! Even to this day...I find myself going..."Well...Whoodledeedoo". (I've done it so much that I checked it out on the computer...just to make sure it is still original! No references to it ...yet.) For added "UUmph" the chorus went "Whoodle doodle dee...like I knew you could...Yeah, Yeah, Yeah" (Hey...that's our old song...don't copy it! big_smile !)

The meaning....? Whatever you want it to be! Anyways...fun topic, aka-dj

4. lain profile image60
    lainposted 6 years ago

When I was 7, I made up a 100 letter word, typed it on a typewriter (there were no computers back then) and memorized it.
    I'm sorry I can't disclose it here, I use it to make up passwords.

5. Choke Frantic profile image89
    Choke Franticposted 6 years ago

I was once talking to a teacher of mine while typing up an essay. The result was that I typed "educatation" instead of "education" and I left it like that cause it was cool =]

I remember once my friend went to say sexual abuse and rape at the same time, and it came out as sexual rape. ;]

aka-djposted 6 years ago in reply to this

Thanks to all posters, but so far this is my favoite, (if I was to vote hmm )

My sister came up with a very Australian phrease. We were on our way to the arport for her flight back home. The trtaffic was so bad, that there was a good chance she won't make it on time.
      So, expressing her emotions, spoke to the traffic, (not hardly moving at all), "AAARRGGHH, COME ON,...FLIPPIN' JINGIES".
      I guess all the Ausies will get it.
      Love it. Keep 'em coming. cool

6. wavegirl22 profile image48
    wavegirl22posted 6 years ago

humbility .. . a cross between humble and humiliate

Humble and humiliate sound similar, but humiliate emphasizes shame and the loss of self-respect and usually takes place in public while humble is a milder term implying a lowering of one's pride or rank . .

7. dohn121 profile image88
    dohn121posted 6 years ago

Fizzlecrack: Noun, ADJ; The state of hopelessness without the possibility of redemption, reconciliation, or any chance in hell of ever returning to normal working condition.

Used in a sentence: "Dude, the car is fizzlecracked! It's time we junk it."

Used in another sentence: "Dammit, what fizzlecrack is this?  I asked for eggs over easy!  This is looks like a Picasso!"

8. habee profile image92
    habeeposted 6 years ago

My buds and I call eah other "grills" instead of girls becaue of a misspelled sign we saw once.

My hubby is from NC and has his own vocabulary. When he uses strange words, fellow hubber Randy Godwin and I come up with definitions for them:

amthrax - a dangerous illness that travels by rail

agnoxious - a substance that's harmful to plants

backhole - the crevice dug with a backhoe

1. Rochelle Frank profile image89
      Rochelle Frankposted 6 years ago in reply to this

Those are great-- though I think agnoxious could also apply to agnosics spreading poisonous thoughts.

aka-djposted 6 years ago in reply to this

Another good one! LOL

9. Rochelle Frank profile image89
    Rochelle Frankposted 6 years ago

I think if you do make up a word of your own-- it becomes public domain once shared.   and . . .  words are no good, unless shared.